Author Topic: how to start  (Read 3659 times)

Offline Mimi 2

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 167
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 13:44:26 pm »
Each baby is different.  DD had 2 kinds that she liked when she was little. 
http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Take-Feeding-Variety/dp/B000FGG8TG (this lasted until she was 18 mos) then we switched to
http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd210003  (she still uses this one when we are on the go) 

DS prefers the Rubbermaid (has to copy big sister) & the soft spout from Avent & Nuby.

YOu just have to be patient and to give him lots of opportunities to drink from it. 

Cherishing the moments with the
Ballerina Princess (Oct '04) & Wiggly Monkey (Jul '07)

Offline banu

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 18:22:21 pm »
i just want transfer him to a cup in an easy way later on, that's it.

secondly, i do not worry if he does not have solid. this is ok. but sholud i offer him BM?

Offline Mimi 2

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 18:40:45 pm »
Don't worry about him drinking out of a open cup too much.  Every baby/toddler is different in how fast he/she picks up a new skill.  I introduced an open cup, sippy and straw cup as soon as both of mine took an interest in them (4/5 mos).  DD was a fast learner with learning how to drink from an open cup but ds took a lot longer. 

The thing with drinking and eating witht he proper cup/utensil requires lots and lots of practice.  Very much like learning how to roll/crawl or walk.  :)

You could put bm in the cup/sippy but beware that there may be aware that there may be some wastage.  Personally I would let him practice with some water first and then as soon as he figured it out put in bm. 

As for not eating his meals, then offer him bm if he is hungry.  There's really no point in making him go hungry.  Sometimes bm is just what he needed when he's sick or teething. 

Offline banu

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 17:15:05 pm »
my lo is not good at open cup any more. i will practice with him with sippy or straw cup. which one is preferable?

secondly, he is almost 7m old (he was born 2 weeks earlier) i still give him dream food. i guess we need to wean it and i need help for this :)

Offline Mimi 2

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 18:25:14 pm »
Try free-flowing sippy or straw cup (just a regular cup with a straw).  You will have to hold it for him but once he gets the idea of sipping from it, then you could put back to valve or get one that is leak proof.  It really depends on him and yourself. 

There're two ways to doing this.  Stick with one type until he finally gets it or buy one until you found one he likes.  Personally, it doesn't matter which one you buy but keep in mind of leaking, ease of cleaning and his preference (color, character on it, etc)

As for weaning the df, have a read at this.  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=65750.0

Good luck

Offline banu

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 07:41:44 am »
i bf my ds during the day and i give bottle during the DF. and his solids are not regular. he might take 50 cc or 150 cc. so how can i add 1 oz solid? should i fisrt of all fix his solid intakes?

Offline Mimi 2

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 13:13:29 pm »
Let him have his fill of bm first then offer solids about 30-60 min later.  Don't worry about solids intake not being consistent right now.  He is still young.  Right now, you are just introducing the idea of solids (taste & texture) to him.  Solids doesn't replace his bf sessions until he is closer to 12 mos.  Bm/formula is still his main source of nutrition until 12 mos.

If you take a more relax approach to introducing solids then you will find that it goes much smoother.  Every baby is different, follow his lead.

FWIW, dd didn't really eat much solids until she was closer to 11/12 mos.  DS took to solids right away.  In the end, they both have a varied diet. 

Offline banu

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 13:12:37 pm »
i am relax about his intakes, i dont mind if he eat less. i worry i want to drop DF but i dont know how to increase his solids. it is written that decrease 1 oz df  and add 1 oz solid. my lo takes different amount at each feed and DF

Offline Mimi 2

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2009, 13:56:15 pm »
If he takes different amounts at each feeding (bm or solids) then add the extra amount at the time that you think he seems most hungry.  Also it doesn't have to be 1 or 2 full oz at one feeding, it can be spread throughout the day. 

Also I wouldn't try to drop the df until he is well established on solids, especially if he needs that df for the extra calories.  The book is a guideline only.  Some babies don't need the df/nightfeed some need it until after the 6/7 mos mark. 

Offline banu

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 19:45:07 pm »
i have been giving him 100 cc at 10.00 pm. i will see

Offline banu

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2009, 07:06:55 am »
hi again. i have few questions;

it is written that first give solids than BF in the book. but it is said that first give BF than solids at the forum. i am confused now. (i give first BF-4 times-, then solids 1 hour later -3 times-)

when should give liquids? during the meal, right after finish the meal or between the meal?

should i add water to his fruit juice?

should i give him my EBM as a juice apart from BF?

thanks

Offline Mimi 2

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2009, 16:38:56 pm »
Give bm first then solids.  Youd can offer him liquids in a cup/sippy (water or ebm) during or after the meal if you want.  The idea of giving him a sippy is to get him familiar with drinking liquids along with his meals.  Some moms found that by offering sips of liquids helps in the eating department others found waiting till after the meal is finish to do so.  It really depends on ds.  From experience I found that if I wait till ds paused or seemed disinterested in eating, a sip of water will get him eating again.  I do limit the amount of water in the cup when he was young. 

Water, diluted juice or ebm or even formula is fine in a sippy/cup.  This is a personal choice although be careful that juice has little nutritional value and can fill a tummy.