Author Topic: 3 month old night wakings  (Read 1316 times)

Offline mrsfabmoretti

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
3 month old night wakings
« on: September 15, 2013, 19:50:23 pm »
Hi,

My LO is 14 weeks old and for a few weeks now, she has been waking multiple times throughout the night. There doesn't seem to be a pattern, but she usually wakes up quite a bit between midnight and her night feed (at about 3am). At first, I wondered if she was hungry, but she won't usually take a feed before 3am.

Her EASY routine does very a bit from day to day. In particular, her naps vary, as it depends if we are out and about (I also have a pre schooler) or at home all day. If we're at home, she usually does 2 long naps (1.5-2 hours) and a catnap. If we're out and about, she has shorter naps, but I try to make sure she that she gets at least one long nap, that she doesn't get OT and that A time is never usually longer than 1.5-2 hours. I have learned from DS (LO1), who was a nightmare when OT! Her wake time is 7.30am and she goes to bed at 6.30pm every day.

With feeds.. She generally goes 3 hours between feeds during the day (7.30, 10.30, 1.30, 4.30, 6.30) then DF at 10pm and a night feed at about 3am, sometimes earlier if she hasn't really drank the full DF.

LO does have a dummy (paci), which she likes to suck to get herself to sleep for naps, and when she goes to bed on a night. This usually falls out once she is asleep. I try not to put the dummy in after the night feed, as she can usually drift off without it. I do replace it when she wakes at other times through the night, though. I originally blamed the dummy for the night wakings, but presume she would be waking more if it was? I'm happy for her to keep it, as she is asleep within minutes with it. Am I right in thinking that the night wakings are down to something else, but that she does need it to get back to sleep? Or could it be the reason for the wakings?

Trying to think of anything else.. She did have colic in the early days and is on Comfort milk and Colief drops. I don't think the night wakings are due to gas, though.

Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated!

Sleep deprived mummy xxx

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: 3 month old night wakings
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 03:13:20 am »
Hi there,

How do you respond to her at night when she wakes? Does she go back to sleep when you give her the dummy? It could be the dummy? You mentioned if you're out and about she takes shorter naps.... do you find that it is on these nights that she tends to wake more? Also her bedtime is 6.30pm and she wakes at 7.30am - that might be too much time in bed for her, especially if she's had 2x1.5-2hrs and a catnap during the day :-\.

Have a read through this link to see if anything stands out for you 10 reasons (other than hunger) a baby can wake at night

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline mrsfabmoretti

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 20:29:53 pm »
Thanks for your reply. When she wakes, I tend to replace the dummy (very quickly) and she goes straight back to sleep. The past few nights, I've left her for five mins it so to see if she goes back to sleep herself, but she just makes noises to herself. Doesn't cry, though. Not sure if the NW are linked to the short naps, but will keep a log this week to investigate and get back to you! Definitely a possibility. Will also try a 7pm bedtime to see if that helps. She does wake at about 6.30am but I bring her in to our bed for a cuddle until big bro barges in at about 7.30am. Given the chance, she'd sleep even longer!! Thanks for your help so far. X

Offline mrsfabmoretti

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 20:37:28 pm »
P.S. A time is 1.5 hours and she falls asleep straight away. Could it be a little on the low side, do you think? Just read the link you gave me. X

Offline Layla

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 23:18:52 pm »
At 3 months A time is about 1.5hrs so I wouldn't stretch her more than that Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!!
Don't rush to replace the paci every time she wakes - leave her to it and see if she will self settle.

Offline mrsfabmoretti

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 19:06:15 pm »
Thanks for your help, Layla. I've left her to fuss a couple of times and she has gone back to sleep!

Well, the past few nights have been a bit better, with only 2-3 wakings. We've decided to cut the DF as she was barely taking anything, then she's been taking a feed at 1am and settling much better for the rest of the night.

Just hope she continues to improve! x

Offline Layla

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 03:49:32 am »
Awesome update, hope she continues to put herself back to sleep.

Let me know how things are going :-*