Author Topic: Breast to bottle - help needed!  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Jackson

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 25, 2006, 12:58:03 pm »
My LO is 6 mths next week and has been BF solely since birth. I have been trying on and off for the last 2 mths to introduce bottle or cup but she just screams & would not take even a sip, regardless whether EBF or Formula. Is a snacker on the breast and has never slept for more than 2- 3 hrs max at night without wanting a feed. Need to go back to work v soon so tried drastic measures last wknd and went cold turkey from fri till now without offering BF. Very traumatic time but through the worst. Was dehyrated as simply refused to drink anymore than 1oz until Sunday. Mon night finally took bedtime feed at 7pm - guzzled 5 oz and had to refill another 3oz! Did a DF at 11pm took 3oz more-woke at 2.30pm -another 3 oz. Which was great.

Has started on solids so eating twice a day-which I add formula to but will not take any milk in day without usual screaming and would have to pour down throat! Has now just accepted juice from cup with lunch as soo thirsty.

Have tried Avent, Dr Browns, NUK and MAM and every version of cup I can find!

Any suggestions please... Jackson

Offline yaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
Re: Breast to bottle - help needed!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 13:18:48 pm »
have u checked out the 'tips to get bf babies to take bottle'? theres loads of good stuff

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=35385.0

Offline shelliz

• Showing Appreciation 217
  • Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 13:22:53 pm »
If you are looking for a sippy cup you can try the "Nuby" cup (found at Wal-mart). It has a completely soft top (like the breast/bottle). It has worked wonders for my daughter who has never taken a bottle. There is also a sippy cup w/ a straw. My daughter LOVES this cup. It is also very easy for her to drink on her own as she doesn't have to tip the cup up. I would try each of these and see how she likes them.
   Also, I see you have offered your daughter juice. Have you tried water instead? I ask only b/c of the reading/research I have done as well as pediatricians warnings about giving juice so early. Not trying to preach to you....you may just want to look into it.

Please write back w/ any other questions.  Hope the suggestions on the sippy cups work!

Shelby!!

Offline Jackson

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 17:05:35 pm »
If you are looking for a sippy cup you can try the "Nuby" cup (found at Wal-mart). It has a completely soft top (like the breast/bottle). It has worked wonders for my daughter who has never taken a bottle. There is also a sippy cup w/ a straw. My daughter LOVES this cup. It is also very easy for her to drink on her own as she doesn't have to tip the cup up. I would try each of these and see how she likes them.
   Also, I see you have offered your daughter juice. Have you tried water instead? I ask only b/c of the reading/research I have done as well as pediatricians warnings about giving juice so early. Not trying to preach to you....you may just want to look into it.

Please write back w/ any other questions.  Hope the suggestions on the sippy cups work!

Shelby!!

Thanks - juice was only out of deperation! - just thought it might be more appealing to get her to drink something! Concerned v low milk intake if continues. Have tried some form of straw cup but will def try the Nuby, thanks again.
Jackson

Offline Jackson

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 17:07:43 pm »
have u checked out the 'tips to get bf babies to take bottle'? theres loads of good stuff

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=35385.0

Thanks - read a lot of them - most already tried and a few of them have worked in the night feeds

Thanks for the info though
Jackson

Offline Jackson

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Breast to bottle - help needed! Update..
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 18:41:06 pm »
Update - just to let you know - perseverance paid off - my DD is now taking all milk from a MAM bottle and feeding beautifully night and day!!

Thanks for help
Jackson

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 18:52:12 pm »
yay so happy for u! ;D
I think it always takes a little perseverance altho sometime u think u have done just about everything!