Author Topic: Chicken Patties  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Chicken Patties
« on: August 23, 2006, 20:36:43 pm »
So I bought some natural chicken patties for DD today at Whole Foods and had planned to dry fry one with a tiny bit of Teriyaki sauce and see if she'd try it as finger food (she has a limited FF menu). Only problem is that it is SOOO bland and I don't think she's going to want it. Any suggestions for how to make it next time so it tastes better? More sauce? Seasonings? Oil?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: Chicken Patties
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 20:45:13 pm »
The universal ketchup?  Gross in my opinion, but most kids like it.  BBQ sauce? 
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 20:50:47 pm »
Thanks Jenn - problem is that with her texture issues Marisa doesn't like the way sauce feels so I need stuff that work to cut/stir fry it in...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 21:27:04 pm »
Also, I was wondering if it would work well to bake chicken (perhaps cutlets) in milk/cream - if that would taste good but also not be too slimey for DD to pick up (she hates slime). If so, any suggestions on how best to prepare/cook them?

Offline JennŠ

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 21:44:29 pm »
Marinate in buttermilk?  Makes it nice and juicy.  Then maybe add some sort of spice?  Anyone got a good spice to go with this idea? 
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 23:01:55 pm »
So you would marinate in buttermilk and then bake? Any spice recommendations would be great! How long to marinate for? I'd love to try tomorrow!

Offline JennŠ

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 01:03:10 am »
Last time I did chicken that way, I put it in whole milk buttermilk for about 4 hours.  I actually coated it in crushed pretzels with cajun spices mixed in.  Good for adults, not so much for littles.  Maybe just a touch of cajun spice or any other spice blend that works well with chicken.  Drawing a blank at the moment.  350 degrees until done.  Never timed it.  I'm making myself hungry!!  Let me know if you try it!   ;)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 20:01:54 pm »
I ended up marinating a cutlet in buttermilk for 4 hours and then using some paprika, onion powder and salt to season and baked. I thought it came out delicious  but DD wouldn't even try it!

Offline JennŠ

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 20:09:32 pm »
I'm going to paint one of Charlotte's onsies "I am 1.  'Nuff said."  Sounds like Marisa needs one too.  Cut into itty bitty pieces and add to mashed taters?  As in minced.  At least you have something new for the adults.  I love a challenge, so I see what else I can dream up.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 10:23:11 am »
Marisa definitely needs that shirt - as well as one that says "don't tell me what to do!" Mashed taters? Marisa wont' go near anything lumpy!!! Seriously, I know toddlers have picky diets - but there are so many things this girl won't even try!!! Oh well - let me know what you come up with - hugs to you and Mouse.

Offline JennŠ

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 11:29:59 am »
Ok, bit of heresy here: Instant mashed potatoes.  No lumps.  I'll have Scout send some eating vibes.  She has never met a food she did not have to taste.  Although, she would not even try Nutramigen.  One wiff, and one fat kitty heading for the hills...   :D

Offline JennŠ

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 16:18:27 pm »
Ok, my next thought: really finely minced chicken inside the grilled cheese sandwich.  I wish I still had access to speech therapists.  They have all kinds of funky ideas.   

Offline clh

• Showing Appreciation 226
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 14:44:13 pm »
Just a thought about taters...

My mom never liked lumps either, so she always took the mixer to them until there weren't any.  Believe it or not, she put in some milk and (get this) mayonaisse for the flavorings.  :o  Delicious!  Don't know how you feel about mayo, though.   ???  The mixer should work, either way.  Our family has done it with a hand mixer or one on a stand.  Both work.

Forgot to say that taters were peeled.  No skins.
Candice

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 13:46:55 pm »
Thanks everyone for all the great ideas! M is currently working on eye teeth (what a nightmare!) - top right one has poked through - so I think that's part of the problem. Anyway, will keep trying!