Author Topic: Trying to introduce bottle  (Read 2682 times)

Offline ashley10

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
Trying to introduce bottle
« on: August 07, 2012, 01:46:06 am »
I have been tyring the past couple of weeks to introduce a bottle. DS2 (who is 4 and a half months) doens't get upset but just keeps pushing it out with his tounge. He is ok with the taste of formuila and doesn't spit it out when some gets in his mouth but just won't go to sucking. The first few tries he held it in his mouth and now nothing. I am trying a couple of times a day - was trying just before a feed but he then would get frustrated and upset so have now swapped to giving it to him after his solids just to get used to the teat and sucking action.

Do you think this is right? Any other suggestions?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Trying to introduce bottle
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 03:11:01 am »
Have you seen this: http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=173309.0
Lots of good info there.

IMO, you're right to keep things low key and not have him get frustrated or develop a bad association with it.

Offline ashley10

• BW Devotee
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 03:13:23 am »
Hi Erin thanks so much for the quick reply. Yes have gone through all the FAQs and tried different things like standing in front of the mirror etc. Think it is just going to take time. My DD took 6 weeks to get onto a bottle doing it the way I am so thinking it might just be patience and perserverance.

Offline ~Lori~

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 04:38:14 am »
My DD had a REALLY hard time taking a bottle.  We tried many different kinds.  She would NOT take one from us!  I really needed her to take one since I went back to work when she was 4.5 mths old!  Finally one night, I just propped her up against a pillow on my bed and she took the bottle fine!!  It took a few times like that, but then she was fine with it!  Crazy girl :)

It may take a lot of perseverance, but it can happen!
Mom to:

DD--Touchy, then Textbook, 2006
DS1--Spirited, 2009
DS2--Textbook, 2012
DD2--Angel, 2014

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 00:40:17 am »
With my dd1, it was all about perseverance -- and right around that age as well.  I used to offer it before every feed (well, every daytime feed) and one day she just started taking it -- it was just over two weeks of trying.  I just offered and if she refused I put the bottle away and nursed. 

Offline ashley10

• BW Devotee
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 03:43:17 am »
We are still at it! Will now take water in a bottle and has taken some formula but not a lot. Also think he is snacking during the day and feeding at night up to 4 times!! Need some help please :( feeling a bit down.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 11:10:31 am »
Have you been trying to give a bottle because you're back at work or away from him during the day for another reason?  I was just wondering if he was reverse cycling, where LO will feed more at night to make up for the time missed with you during the day.
*** Amanda ***

Offline ashley10

• BW Devotee
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 00:43:11 am »
No I am with him all day and night :) He is just not that interested in feeding during the day. He will only take one side (for love nor money can I get him to take both) he is just too distracted and no matter what I do quiet environment etc doesn't make a difference!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 12:44:33 pm »
We'd expect at this age that he can go as long at night as he can during the day.  So, if every 4 hours during the day, you can hold him to that at night.  If he's nursing more frequently at night, you need to shift some calories to the day so he's not used to taking them all in at night.  The distraction is really common at this age -- most people find feeding in a dark room at the tail end of a nap to be the best approach.

Offline ashley10

• BW Devotee
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 20:27:24 pm »
I know that is exactly what I think too. During the day he is going 4 hrs and then as soon as he goes to bed it starts. Last night was one of the worst nights yet. Woke every 1 and a half to 2 hrs feeding. Not sure if the late hot choccie I had upset his reflux as I could hear lots of bubbles etc as he can be susceptible to those! Then again for the pas week and a half it has been every 2 hrs. I can count on one hand how many times from birth he has gone longer than 3 hrs at night. I am a bit lost really.

Offline ashley10

• BW Devotee
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 20:33:07 pm »
When you say tail end of nap is that just before they go to sleep or when they wake up? He goes down awake so am trying to keep it that way at the moment if I can.

Should I go back to 3 hr feeding during the day to make him go longer at night or is that going to make everything worse? I just feel he is snacking and then waking up at night for food. And it is always on the dot of 2hrs the first NW and then 2 or 3 hrs after that on the dot. But it changes time each night if that makes sense depending on when his last feed was.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 21:20:17 pm »
Instead of going back to 3h, what about just going back to, say, 3.5h or 3.75h?  Even if you manage to sneak in another feed, it might help.
Tail end of a nap is generally the end of the nap, where they're still sleepy and often more likely to settle for a feed.
*** Amanda ***

Offline ashley10

• BW Devotee
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 21:47:29 pm »
Thanks I will give that a go. Just hard when he is snacking and not really that hungry. But he loves eating his solids? Do I cut back on those to try and get him to take a bit more milk during the day? Feel like I am stuck in a bit of a vicious circle? Was thinking of taking him to the osteo to help get him off his reflux meds but not sure whether I should do that either!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 00:29:08 am »
I don't know much about osteo (some ladies in the colic, reflux, crying forum may know more) but you can definitely try cutting back on solids.  Breastmilk has more fat and calories than any solid.

Offline Harrisons_mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 18:56:48 pm »
Hey... How are you getting on with the bottle?

I finally managed to have DS (15 wks) take one the other day and we've managed one a day since then.  He used to roll it around his mouth too and wouldn't take a paci.  I managed to get him to take it by putting him on the breast and then slipping the bottle in his mouth and my nipple out.  It worked a treat and now he's actually excited to see the bottle and guzzles the whole thing :)

Good luck