Author Topic: 4 month growth spurt?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Harrisons_mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
4 month growth spurt?
« on: September 15, 2012, 15:53:09 pm »
Hi all

Having a weird day and wondering if it is the 4 month growth spurt (feels like I have never really fully recovered from the 3 month one :()

LO has been sleeping a 5 hr stretch for about a week now and last night went back to every 3 hours.  He had his 3 month GS at 11 weeks and now he is 15 weeks.  He was 10 days overdue so seems to always run a week early for milestones.  After waking at 5:45am and having a feed, he went for his nap, and so did I.  When I woke up it was 9:05am he was in the living room (with my mum, not chillin on his own hehe) and no hunger signs.  He got hungry at 9:15am and had both sides and then wanted back onto the other side again....  I thought it was just cos he went so long, but when I put him down for his nap he started crying again with what sounded like hunger cries.  When I nursed him he took one side and fell asleep on my breast.

I am nervous to misread it as a growth spurt as I used to nurse to sleep before EASY and LO does not take very long to learn new habits good and bad.

If it is a GS, what is the best way to handle it?  Change the EASY, pump after feeds or offer the other side?  Should I also think about upping his A time as I have read that the 4 month GS co-incides with transition to 4 hour EASY.  DS has been having trouble with 45min naps since 11 week GS.  He has just started to accept P/S at 45min to go back for the second half of his nap, before he would resist and I had to finish the nap rocking on my knee.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Suzi

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: 4 month growth spurt?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 18:53:39 pm »
If it's a GS, just feed when he asks for it, as much as he wants.  He'll probably want to feed at night, which, although annoying for you, is great for your milk.

Often BF babies don't make it to a 4h EASY until later on, so you may end up tweaking A times, but having to squeeze in feeds before naps so you don't get a hungry wake up midway.
*** Amanda ***

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 21:04:49 pm »
Agree with Amanda.  Just feed as much and as often as you needed.

But I actually really just wanted to say your avatar photo is so lovely.  What a beautiful baby you have!

Offline Harrisons_mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 21:23:58 pm »
Aw thank you... Yeah love my wee boy!

Think it might be a gs he fed about 3 times during a times, but what has been more sleepy than usual which has thrown me.  He took all three 1.5hr naps today which is unheard of.  He cried every time I put him down and sounded hungry.  He would nurse for about 5-10 min then fall asleep.  Hope he not just tricking me into nursing to sleep! Hehe

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 02:31:15 am »
They do all their growing in their sleep, so sleep goes with growth spurts too, as well as extra feeds.  :)