Author Topic: Almost 3 year old night waking  (Read 1256 times)

Offline bensmomma

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Almost 3 year old night waking
« on: December 12, 2006, 19:22:23 pm »
Just wondering if anyone has an older toddler waking at night.  This has been going on for a week now.  He wakes up in the middle of the night after midnight and is often awake for up to 2 hrs.  WIDE AWAKE.  :'( He doesn't tell us that something is wrong until the morning and he'll say that he was scared of shadows, had a bad dream, heard something etc.  I'm not sure if he really is scared as he doesn't say anything unless prompted.  We leave lamp on all night and we thought that solved the problem but it continues.  There is nothing new in his life or in our home except for a new baby brother born in July but this just started.   Baby brother doesn't wake him up as he will wake up well after baby has eaten and gone back to sleep. Any thoughts?
Michelle-
Mom to Benjamin 26/02/04 and Joshua 13/07/06

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: Almost 3 year old night waking
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 19:35:25 pm »
Is he still napping?  What does his whole day look like?

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline bensmomma

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 20:46:59 pm »
He no longer naps and hasn't for 3 months although some days he could use it.  His day usually starts at 7:00am and ends at 7:00pm.  Breakfast at 8:00am (He isn't interested in eating until then) lunch at 12:00pm and supper when he'll eat at 5:00pm. Snacks in between Bkfst and lunch and lunch and supper.  Activity is usually low key ie. puzzles, blocks, creative play.  We will have a little run around to burn off some energy in the afternoon.   It's hard to get outside as it is cold and with new brother it is even harder.  We do kindergym once a week and swimming once a week.   Bedtime ritual changes a bit from night to night as he doesn't get in the tub every night (eczema) Although he doesn't have any trouble falling asleep.  Hope this helps.
Michelle-

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 20:49:26 pm »
Perhaps he needs a nap.  Maybe he is overtired and crashes when he gets to bed and has his deep sleep early and then gets to that light sleep after midnight and can't fall back to sleep.  Overtiredness can cause nightwakings.

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 22:05:35 pm »
I would opt for overtiredness too. Perhaps he had a bad night and this has caused him to be overtired subsequently. I would try an early bedtime for a couple of nghts, just to top him up.

Offline bensmomma

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 13:34:46 pm »
On afternoons  he takes a nap which is only if we happen to be in the car and he falls asleep he is often awake until 8:30-9:00pm.  He just can't seem to settle.   The afternoon nap is a battle royale.  I fight with him for an hour to get him to take it.  On occaision he will actually go into his room by himself and lay down.  This is very rare.  If he goes to bed later as a result of the nap, do you think this will still help with the night wakings?
Michelle-

Offline bensmomma

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 17:18:02 pm »
I eat my words . He was up for 1.5 hrs last night and woke up at 7:15am.  He was a grump all morning >:( so after lunch I took him into his room and he fell asleep within minutes.  We'll see what happens tonight.  I'll limit him to an hour so he'll actually go to sleep tonight.  :-[
Michelle-