Author Topic: Need help after vacation  (Read 880 times)

Offline PeepersMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« on: December 18, 2006, 02:04:48 am »
We were away for 5 days in a 3 hour time difference.  We went west.  PJ never got used to the time change so most nights he was getting 9 hours sleep (used to getting 12) and his naps were not great and certainly didn't make up for his lack of sleep.  He was definitely exhausted by the time we got home.  The first 2 nights he did ok, but fell asleep significantly later than usual, but then slept for 11-12 horus.  His naps have frequently been a problem.  He is on 1 nap a day and is doing 1 hour 20 min now and tired.  I put him right back on his routine and falls asleep for bed rather easily but wakes up 30 min later either fussing, crying or playing.  Usually the crying is very short, doesn't really even need my attention, as well as the fussing but they are always followed by playing.  For up to 2 hours.  It is now 9:15pm and he is in there having a good ole time.  He first fell asleep at 7pm. 

Our schedule is (that I am trying to get back on)

7am wake
12 nap for 2 hours on a good day  ::)
6:30-7 bedtime (varies based on nap length)

He is definitely still jet lagged.  He is usually wakign up around 7, and very tired all morning.  Has his naps and makes it to bedtime around 630-645pm. But then wakes up 30min later.

Is there anything I can do to help this along?  we have been home a week. 

Edited to add: it is now 10 pm and he is rocking his crib and chatting.  HELP ME! :o

Thanks

Meg
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 02:53:56 am by PeepersMom »
Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline rinajack

• Showing Appreciation 162
Re: Need help after vacation
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 09:54:59 am »
Oh Meg.  This is a tough one.

I am not overly familiar with toddler sleep, so I will ask those mods to come and check this out too.

I suspect that there is an overtired issue here.  Maybe you should encourage your lo to sleep later to catch up on some sleep and move the schedule back to the normal times by 15  mins each day, or 30 mins each day, instead of all in one go.  That way hopefully he can catch up on the missing sleep while you are moving the schedule.

Rina - Mum to Zara 29/3/06
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 13:15:00 pm »
I could copy and paste ontol the toddler board, sorry, I didn't know...

He didn't fall asleep until 10:45 last night, and then woke for a few min at 1145.  At that point I had made the decision to let him sleep until when ever he woke in the morning even if it was 10am!  but that was a pipe dream........he was up at 8. 

8am isn't too bad, though. I guess it will help in getting him back to his routine in the long run.

Thanks Rina

Meg
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline rinajack

• Showing Appreciation 162
Re: Need help after vacation
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 19:57:19 pm »
Hi Meg

Sorry, I thought I had moved this post for you.  I will now.

When moving his schedule, try to think about all the normal A times you lo does, and try not to let them go too much longer than that....his nap timing etc will be weird for a bit, but I think it should be moved more slowly.

Rina - Mum to Zara 29/3/06
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 21:23:46 pm »
thanks Rina -

I have been letting him nap really early - used to be 5.5 hours of A time, but he has been so jet lagged that I have been putting him down at 4 hours.  He basically insisted on it today - he pointed to a baby sleeping in one of our books and yelled at me.  (how's that for communication) but the thing is, it isn't quite enough A time to get a good nap from him  NORMALLY but this is so abnormal...KWIM? so I keep putting him down.

I have been doing 5-5.5h awake time for bed per usual and he does fall asleep, but it is just that dreaded 30min point that is the killer for us this past week.  UGH

Thanks again for your help, it is so hard to figure out what to do when there is a question as to intervene or not.   He sounds fine, not crying.

AHH makinhg me bonkers  :D
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12