Author Topic: Sleep for 17.5 month old  (Read 1333 times)

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Sleep for 17.5 month old
« on: January 01, 2007, 21:20:36 pm »
Hello ladies,

I am not complaining, but wanted to know if there was anyone else in the same boat as us.

Our DS is nearly 18 months old, and used to go to bed at 6:30 and sleep 12 - 12.5 hours at night with about a 1.5 hour nap during the day, sometimes a little more, and most of the time a little less.

Since he has gotten older, we thought it was time to move his bed time a little later, and slowly started moving his bedtime to around 7:00 - 7:15.  He is now taking 2 hour naps most days, but his night time sleep has started to get less.

I know at this age they will start to need less sleep at night, but he is only sleeping 11 hours max during the night now sometimes less.  There is no way to resettle him and he is up for the day and is happily shouting the house down, but now he seems to be a lot more tired before his nap time now.  We cannot bring his nap time forward at all, as in nursery they have set times.

Was wondering if this is normal, of if anyone can give me some ideas on getting him to sleep a little longer.

Thanks  :-*
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Diegos Mama

• Showing Appreciation 176
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 21:24:27 pm »
11 hours and a two hour nap sounds right on target.

:)
Laura

binxyboo

Re: Sleep for 17.5 month old
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 21:25:20 pm »
Have you tried moving his bedtime back to it's original time? I think 11 hours minimum is probably needed when on one nap.

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 21:30:45 pm »
Thanks Laura  :-*

Michelle - he will not go to bed any earlier anymore, most of the time he will still sing to himself for about 20 mintues before falling asleep.  If he has had a really busy day, and a shorter nap, then he will go to bed a bit earlier but otherwise no luck.

Offline Diegos Mama

• Showing Appreciation 176
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 21:36:58 pm »
If he sleeps less than 11 hours does he make up for it during naptime?

I'd aim for about 13 hours total.... :)
Laura

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 21:45:36 pm »
No, the max we have ever gotten out of nap time is 2.25 hours and that was on Boxing day - guess Christmas day really took it out of him.

His naps over the past 2 days have been a bit all over the place, having to re-settle him after abot 30 minutes.  He is cutting a tooth, so know that this could be the problem over the past few days, but the teething has not affected his night time sleep at all, as when he wakes in the morning he is as happy as can be, and calls for us, sings, chats, or comes into our room to wake us up.

Do you think that the early wakings is cause he has not been as stimulated as he has been in nursery, and hence does not need as much sleep?  Our nursery closed for a few weeks, so he has not been in?

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 23:31:15 pm »
Zander is almost 16 months and was taking around 2 hours (sometimes a little more, rarely less) for his nap but just before Christmas he started to wake earlier in the mornings - he was happy so I knew he'd had enough sleep but I didn't want to lose the 12 hour nights.  With his routine being all over the place for a few days over Christmas we had one night when he didn't fall asleep until around 8.30 and he slept until 7.45 the next day so ever since I've had him on a 7.30-7.30 routine and have reduced his sleep to 1 3/4 hours or thereabouts.  I put him down at 12.45 and wake him up at 2.30 and he goes to bed at 7.30 then I usually have to wake him in the mornings between 7.30 and 8!  On the days he doesn't wake until 8 I only give him 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours for his nap as I don't want to push bedtime out any later than 7.30.  I think having him up by 2.30 everyday and also moving his bedtime on half an hour is what's causing these fantastic lie-ins!

Kelly x
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 23:40:23 pm »
Red sleeps 11-12 hours at night and anywhere between 1 and 2 hours during the day.
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??