Author Topic: Having real trouble getting my LA to nap, help!!  (Read 935 times)

Offline carmenely

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Having real trouble getting my LA to nap, help!!
« on: March 30, 2006, 23:46:03 pm »
Hi! I'm new to this website, thought I read the first book before my baby boy was born.  My LA is about to be 6 months old, he has reflux, but it’s now controlled with medication, and hasn’t been a real problem for almost 3 months now.  We haven’t started on solids yet, waiting for the 6 month. 

He used to be a good sleeper.  He has been sleeping trough the night for almost 2 months now, from 8 to 8 (with a dream feed at 11).  And at nap time, he usually would go to sleep on his own.  What we did was, as soon as I saw any signs that he was tired (and according to his routine), I would take him in my arms, in a position very similar to the classic breast feeding position (I forgot to mention he is being bottle fed nutramigen, because has was allergic even to my milk)  and rock him a little bit, gave him a pacifier, until drowsy, and then I would put him in his crib (most of the time, still awake) and he would go right to sleep.  No problem at all.

But 5 days ago, after no apparent change, when I saw him getting fussy and rubbing his eyes I picked him up and as soon as I “nested” him, he went hysterical!!!  He started screaming (like he was being tortured) , so I held him upright, but it took like ½ an hour, and a completely dark closet to calm him, and he fell asleep.  Then woke up smiling.

It has been like that ever since… I can’t hold him like I used to, because he screams.  So I don’t know what to do to help him go to sleep.  Every time I try to put him down for a nap, it’s the same thing.  Not even the dark closet helps. 

I’ve tried to do the Pu/Pd, but the trouble is, he does not clam down by me picking him up!! 

Please!!!!! I need help, because my patience is starting to run low…

Thank you.

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
Re: Having real trouble getting my LA to nap, help!!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 00:17:20 am »
Hello, can you post your routine, please?

Let us know things like how he sleeps at night, how long he is awake for before each nap, that sort of thing.

My first thought was, at 6 months old, this is a time for a growth spurt. Perhaps your ds is ready for a longer A (awake) time before each nap, maybe he isn't tired enough when you go to put him to sleep?

Let us know your routine, and we will try to help :)
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston