Author Topic: 45 minute naps - what's the theory?  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Loujo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Thomas and Marissa
45 minute naps - what's the theory?
« on: April 05, 2006, 12:05:50 pm »
hi
I have a gorgeous 6 week old boy.  I am on the 3 hour easy routine.  For the past 3 days he has been waking 45 mins into his day time naps whereas previously he would sleep beautifully for 1.5 - 2 hours during the day.  I thought he was going through a growth spurt so let him wake up and I fed him - and within 30mins of waking up he was yawning again so I was putting him down, but after 45 mins sleep he was waking up again - so for the last 3 days he has had about 5-6 naps during the day lasting 45 mins each rather than 3-4 good 1.5 - 2 hour naps.
Thomas is really good at going to sleep during the day and just needs a little bit more help in the evening.  He only wakes once during the night at 3.30am for a feed and goes back to sleep without any fussing to wake again at 7.30am.  He is bf.
So I have re-read the book and looked at the section on naps.  It says that when he wakes up after the 45 mins I should get him to get back to sleep again.  He wakes up grunting and, if left, this will turn into a loud cry with tears!  I am aware when he starts drifting out of his sleep and back to awake-ness.  I stupidly assumed that as he is so alert when he comes out of his sleep that he is ready for play time - but he can't be as he is shattered within 30 mins!
So my questions are as follows:

1) Should I go into him before he is fully awake?
2) What should I do to him when I go in - pick him up?  Stroke him?  Talk to him?
3) How long should I stay with him and at what point should I pick him up?

This morning I have got him back to sleep by holding him and putting him down when he is drowsy.  What is the theory behind putting him back down to sleep straight after he has woken up?  how will this teach him to extend his naps? Won't I just be going in to him after 45 mins forever for his day naps?  If he is jolting himself awake after 45 mins during the day - surely this won't stop as this is his natural sleep rhythm?  The thing is, Thomas can get himself off to sleep beautifully on his own if he is not overtired - all I need to do sometimes is put him in his cotbed, swaddle him, tuck him in, give him a kiss and leave!  So he can do it...  I suppose I am worried that I am teaching him that whenever he wakes I will go into him.
Would really appreciate to know the theory behind all this to help me get my head round it! :)
Many thanks!
Louise
'you've got to take all you have and pour and pour...'

Offline Carter'sMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • Windsor, Canada
Re: 45 minute naps - what's the theory?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 12:46:18 pm »
Hi there!

My thoughts are that your lo is becoming more aware of the world and therefore at the 45 minute mark when he would before just drift back to sleep, he is taking notice of things instead.  Human sleep cycles tend to be 45 minutes in length and that is why he is waking up then.  I believe that you are supposed to go in and get him back to sleep so that he will realize that it is still nap time and that he shoudl be sleeping.  I thought the same as you about having to go in forever at the 45 minute mark but it worked with my DS.  After only a few days he started to have longer naps. 

If your lo is always waking right at the 45 minute mark then you could try wake to sleep which is described in Tracy's book (BWSAP pg 190-191, and pg 251).  This works really well also for extending naps.

If he wakes before you are able to try wake to sleep than I would suggest doing the Pat shush.  I did this when I was first sleep training my lo and it worked like a dream.  This is also explained in Tracey's "Solves all your Problems" book.  So when you go in rather than picking him up which might wake him up more you pat his back and make a shush sound repeatedly until he drifts off to sleep.  It is all explained on pg 184-185 in great detail.

Sometimes it just takes time but your lo will learn to sleep and have longer naps!!  :)  I don't know anyone who hasn't gone through the 45 minute nap stage!!!!
Cathy - Mama to:
Carter Luke - March 29, 2005
Mason Henry - April 7, 2007
Daphne Catherine Grace - May 30, 2010

Offline Loujo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Thomas and Marissa
Re: 45 minute naps - what's the theory?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 11:33:31 am »
Hi Stacy
Just a few questions...
Most of the time during the day I put thomas down without holding him and he goes off on his own.  i sometimes hold thomas until he is really drowsy - he is aware of being in his cot when I put him down and looks at me then closes his eyes - am I putting him down too late?  If I put him down when he is still twitching and head-butting my shoulder then he will cry big time and I have to pick him up again.  Shh-pat doesn't calm him down when he is lying down.
Also - I tried wake to sleep today and failed miserably!  He just woke up and I had to go through the 4 stages with him for 20 mins to stop him crying!  He has now slept for over an hour - and is due a feed now - even though he is sleeping past the 45 min mark should I wake him up for his feed or leave him a bit longer?   
thank you!
Louise
x
'you've got to take all you have and pour and pour...'