SLEEP > Sleeping For Toddlers

Support and Chat thread for parents of Early Waking Toddlers #2

<< < (72/73) > >>

LovelyLilyandJack:
Hi Lauren, welcome to baby whispering  :)

I have to admit to being slightly jealous of your 11-12 hour nights  as 10.5hrs is the norm here, with 11hrs the best we ever get, but I know how it is when your LOs sleep patterns conspire to stop you getting proper rest! I would say your LOs nap probably is causing it.  I think the average amount of total sleep needed at this age is around 13 hours, so if he's having 2.5 hours of that during the day he probably only needs 10.5 - 11 hours at night to meet his total.

You could try capping his nap to 2 hrs max and see if that helps over the course of a week.

KookyK:
Hello ladies! Sorry for your early starts its a killer!

Nutmeg mama my DS sounds very like yours.

On a good week morning is 5-5.30. Rarely we get a lie in to 5.45. This week it's 4.40. I go in when his shouts or cries ramp up and say it's still night (walk in walk out sort of thing which sleep trained him well at 14m - he at least sleeps thru now!). But altho he goes quiet for short periods he's then shouting and crying and waking DD and husband who need rest for their busy days. So I get him up before he wakes them further.

I have set nap time no earlier than 11 and aim for 11.30. He had been doing 1 he 30 or 1 hr 45 naps but he's been waking early and miserable. Today he woke and wouldn't resettle (never succeed in resettling naps) and he fell asleep on me downstairs for another 20 mins. Will be interested to see what tonight holds.

Bed time is around 6.45. Before 6.30 And he wakes earlier! Later makes no diff either.

Also tonight i held back his pudding - yoghurt - at dinner and offered later. Dinner is 5pm and wonder if he's hungry at 4am. He has a full breaatfeed at bedtime. Tonight he had yoghurt, cheese and bit of banana at 6pm. We will see...

He's incredibly lively and into everything when he's awake but also quite cranky atm maybe tiredness or teeth. He's had a lot of illness this winter so we are forever getting back on track too.

ginger428:
Hi, is anyone still here and reading? Kookyk, wondering what happened.
For about 2 weeks or more now DS, who is almost 17 mo, has been waking between 5-5:30 (10 hr nights) with a nice 10.5 surprise one day and WU of 5:50. Naps are 1h20m or so. 2 hr naps have stopped. So naps are usually around 12:00 so that we can have a decent A to bed, which has been 7:20, but with lay downs around 6:50. Should I make bedtime earlier again and see what happens? I've tried and he would wrestle until 7:15/7:20ish.

So tired.

First mum:
Hey Ginger we are in the same boat  :( after a good couple of months of the 6:15-6:30 wu we are now pretty consistent with 5:15!!  Thankfully she is playing quietly in her cot and I didn't her yell "DAD" until 6:01 today but it makes for a long day!!

We had moved her bed to 7 and it helped for a couple of weeks but we had a bit of OT creeping in so now we are back to 6:30 and I have capped her nap at 2 hours.  Really trying to avoid the morning cn as well as this messes with everything.  But it is so hard when I know she has been awake since 5:15am!!

Are you lunchtime naps capped? Do you think you LO is getting enough overall sleep?

Another this we tried was a piece of toast or banana after bath during quiet time.  My LO has dinner at 5 so I thought it night be hunger.  I think I am going to try this again tonight.

ginger428:
Oh.. Firstmum hugs for that! I can't wait to get off this boat and back on the 6-7 one. How did the snack before bed work out? 

I think I'm going to have to move BT to 6:30... He is obviously so tired when he wakes around 5:00 but can't go back to sleep.

His naps are already short at 1h20m usually so don't cap the nap. I'm not sure he's getting enough overall sleep... consistently for the past 2-3 weeks, he's getting 11.5 hours/24 hours. Makes for such long days.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version