Author Topic: 10,5 months old waking at night and standing up crying in the crib  (Read 6663 times)

Offline brazylia

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My DS has slept throught the night since he was about 2 mo (with occasional teething/too hot nights wakings) but now as he can stand up by himself he would wake up screaming at night and stand up or vice versa. When put down - he would stand up again or if held down so that he wouldn't stand up, he screams his lungs out for 2-5 min, calms down but then takes ages to fall asleep (or if I think he has and try to leave his room, he would start crying again).

How to tackle this problem? I am tired of spending 1-1,5h waiting for him to fall asleep in the middle of the night (not every night thankfully, but still...)

His EASY is like this:
7 wake up and BF
8-8.30 breakfast
A
10.30-11 sleep (0,5h-1,10h)
12.30-1 lunch
A
3.30-4 BF and sleep (0,5h-1,10h)
A
6 dinner
7 bath
7.30 BF and sleep

Should I do PU/PD every time he stands up till he gets tired and understands there's no point? Should I talk to him or remain silent?
Sometimes I tend to think that he has bad dreams and needs to be held (esp. after an eventful day) or it could be separation anxiety and wouldn't it be cruel not to comfort him?

Thank you for your advice.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 21:36:09 pm by Bex09 »

Offline Bex09

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
Re: 10,5 months old waking at night and standing up crying in the crib
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 22:25:45 pm »
Hi there, how does your DS fall asleep? Does he have any props? Is he only having 2 1h10 naps at best? I wonder if he is a little OT, when do the NW tend to happen? Before or after midnight or both?

Offline brazylia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 10:34:35 am »
Hi!

During the day he falls asleep after crying and protesting (which started around the time he started standing up) so I hold him down... in the evening usually at my breast or if awake - in his crib but with me present. He hold on and chews his blankie.
Yes, only 2 naps but 1h10 at best really, usually 30-45 min one and the other one longer or both short.
NW after midnight. But he sometimes screams a bit between 8-10pm but goes back to sleep.
I have a feeling he may be OT as he wakes crying from his short day naps... but I can't get him to nap longer either!

Please help if you have any ideas.

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 22:15:47 pm »
At this age with PU/PD you really only PD when your DS stands up and don't do the PU part. How long has the pulling up been going on? Is it a recent development?

Offline brazylia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 13:58:41 pm »
Hi!
Yes, it's a recent development, going on for 2 weeks maybe (just when he learnt to stand up).
I've been doing PD for every nap and NW for 2 days now and it's not easy... sometimes he goes back to sleep after 2-3 PD and sometimes it takes 20-30min of standing up and PD and screaming...
I don't understand why he keeps standing up and crying before his nap when just before being put to his crib he was peaceful and drowsy and humming his mantra... and then the tantrum begins (I try to wind him down properly and rule out everything that may distract him)
I guess I just need to be consistent with him...
any other thoughts?
I think I also need to change the length of his day naps, as the second nap is almost always longer than the first one, but how? If he wakes happy from his first nap? (if he wakes crying after 30min I do PD).
THANKS A LOT!

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 22:51:01 pm »
Ok so part of this could be developmental because he has learnt this new skill of pulling up, so give him loads of chance in the day to pull up on things and the cot, maybe when you put his washing away or something else in his room.

Also does he tend to take a 30 min nap after a longer A time? Looking at your routine I notice the am nap is between 10.30 and 11. So I wondered if you got a shorter nap if it is at 11 rather than 10.30? If so he is probably OT by then, causing the 30 min nap. Also if that second nap starts at 4 and lasts 1h 10 then DS goes to bed for 7.30 that is a really short A time and he could well be UT, causing the pulling up and reluctance to sleep. If your DS short naps do you reduce the next A time to make up for that? Let's see if we can tweak your routine a little hey and get those naps sorted first?

Offline brazylia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 07:10:14 am »
Hey, I agree with you and I moved the naps earlier a bit (3 days ago) the first - at 10.30 (or a bit later if he woke later than 7am) and he slept 1-1.10h and the second around 2.45-3.30 (and he slept 1-1.30h), I can see improvement, but still the second nap is longer and I don't let him sleep past 5 pm. How to make him sleep longer before midday? I also noticed that he's sleepy when we go for a walk after lunch around 1-1.30pm and would fall asleep in the stroller if I let him (which he sometimes did if on a longer walk... ???) This also puzzles me as I like long walks and have to keep him awake and then when we come home he seems fully awake and ready to play and so the A is extended... That's why I thought he needs first nap to be longer?
If DS short naps I try to reduce the next A time but sometimes it's impossible due to other arrangements...
NW much better I think - last night just one (around 1am) and DH put him down and he went back to sleep immediately!

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 21:38:53 pm »
Hi that is great that the naps have extended a little and that the NW have improved too. Has your DS ever slept for longer than 1h 10?

Offline brazylia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 10:24:37 am »
Hi, yesterday naps were a nightmare... 45min of PD and only 30min sleep and woke up crying, tried PD for 20min and nothing, he wanted to play... the second one not better. In the evening DS was OK and slept till 1.30 am, stood up crying, DH put him down but DS held him hostage for 1h (apparently he sat up and didn't cry but rocked a bit as if about to drop to sleep...). This is another problem I guess, he protests if we want to leave his room. I tried moving farther from his crib little by little.
Yes, he sometimes  (rather seldom) slept 1,30-2h (esp. after swimming pool visit), I even tried putting him down later - around 12, but didn't get longer sleep at all.
It's Xmas coming and a bit of travel/visits so I'm afraid his EASY will be ruined anyway. We'll see.

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 21:32:28 pm »
Oh hun sleep can be such a pain when you have a LO that just doesn't play ball I know. :( The 30 min nap sounds like OT to me, probably because the PU/PD meant that he took a while to settle to sleep. Have you tried starting putting him down say 15 mins earlier, knowing that it will take him a while to settle?

Was there anything different about yesterday that could have caused these bad naps? Were A times longer, shorter, etc?

Offline Elizabeth410

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • Sebastien
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 00:51:57 am »
Hello brazylia. Our dd is doing the exact same thing. She is going to be 11 months in a few days, and has started standing up before naps (so much that some times we just give up trying and get her up!) and has started standing up at night, so I have to hold her down, because when I let her get up repeatedly it seems to wake her up even more. Last night she was awake from 4:10 to 5:20, and I was holding her down the whole time. Quite frustrating. I'm also looking for tips! I just wanted to let you know you're not alone ;) and I'll be checking your thread to see if anything seems to work! Of course if anything works for us, I'll let you know. Good luck!! xx

Offline brazylia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 07:37:11 am »
Hi Elizabeth410,

thanks for telling me and am really sorry for you too...
well, it seems a bit better one day with our DS and again worse the other. Two days ago he went down for his naps great, no crying, standing up or even tossing and turning and slept 1.20h. I shortened his A time a bit (3-3.15h) and wind him down way before the naps. NW also better (just one short around 1-2 am or none at all ) but... he started EW!!! He wakes somewhere between 4.30-6 am and seems really hungry! I BF him in our bed as PD or holding down doesn't work, he goes back to sleep till 7-7.30 but does not want any BF then... I plan to do something about it because I sleep terrible with him in our bed and he also wakes in between crying... and I know it's a terrible habit. But what to do?
what is your DD EASY?

Offline Elizabeth410

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • Sebastien
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 03:48:12 am »
Hello Brazylia,

With our first child we followed EASY religiously and things went really well, I must say. Our son is now 5 years old. But with our daughter, we've not been doing EASY since she started daycare about two months ago. We try to be as consistent as possible with naps and eating. And we do try to keep everything calm for one hour or more before naps or bedtime. So to answer your question, our day more or less looks like this:

Wake up anywhere between 6 to 7:30 am
Breakfast 30 minutes later
Snack mid morning
Lunch 11:00
Nap 12:00 - Sometimes for 30 mins, other times 1hour, or 1,5 hours, or 2 hours. If she has a short nap, she sometimes goes back to sleep with some shush/rub. To get her to sleep we often need to keep a gentle hand on her back (so she won't get up) and shush.
Supper at 5 (on daycare days it's at 6;15)
Bed at 7:30.
Our winddown consists of going around the house saying goodnight to the rooms, then change diaper, read a book and sing a lullaby. Luckily, she usually goes to sleep with very little fussing at bedtime. I wish I could say the same for naps.

I used to breastfeed her in bed in the morning, and like your ds, she used to go back to sleep (most of the time). But then she started not being able to drink without her teeth getting in the way. I tried for several weeks, but it was just too painful, so I stopped breastfeeding. Now when she wakes up after 6, I just get her up. Before 6, we do PD and shush to get her back to sleep. It often takes 1 hour - but she does go back to sleep. I usually end up getting her up to give her a sip of water and we sit on the couch with a very dim light for about 15 minutes. After this she's usually ready to go back to bed. I make a point of not giving her formula in the night - of fear she might get used to it.

Did you change his bedtime? Sometimes when we put her to bed earlier she seems to have a better night sleep, and she even sleeps longer sometimes. When we put her to bed later, if often backfires.

We've also noticed that if she laughs a lot anywhere after 4pm, it seems to overstimulate her and she wakes up more often in the night. So now we try not to make her laugh too much during the day, which is sad I know, but we keep the giggles for the morning and early afternoon ;)

Of course I would recommend trying to cut out the 4:30 feedings (or anytime before getting up time), by trying to give him more during the day - maybe even a small cluster feed before bed.

Good luck and keep me posted!

Offline brazylia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 14:14:47 pm »
Hey Elizabeth,

so your dd only has one nap during the day? I suppose it's because of the daycare? My ds naps better now and goes down nicely (last 2 days at least, hope for more) no standing up, but I guess shorter A time works for him better and he is pretty sleepy when I hold him on my lap and quietly read to him, also started giving him his blankie at this point and I think he likes it). Two nights ago no NW and woke up around 7. Last night not so lucky, he screamed a bit before midnight and then around 1 am, then woke up screaming at 4 and only fell asleep after 40min but I think he was terrified of something and PD didn't work, just holding... didn't feed him or take him to bed with me. He sometimes has bad gas during these NW - maybe this is the reason he wakes up in the first place?
I also noticed that he takes less milk during morning BF (just one breast or even less) and either falls asleep (and later doesn't want BF anymore) or sprangs up immediately ready for play... but the problem is that he also doesn't seem hungry during breakfast or grew so picky that will eat only fruit... so I delay the breakfast hoping he'll get hungry but it's not always so... Any idea why is that?
You're right that he sleeps better when asleep before 7.30 pm - should try to aim for that more often...
How is your dd now?

Happy New Year!

Offline Elizabeth410

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • Sebastien
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 14:53:20 pm »
Happy new Year!!

She was down to one nap because we had been unable to get her to sleep in the morning. But lately she's been looking tired in the morning so she had a morning nap three days in a row :)

I don't have any ideas about the not seeming hungry at breakfast. I know our dd has days where she eats less, but that's about it. Have you looked at the feeding threads? You'll probably find good tips and advice in there.

So dd slept well for two nights, with the occasional fuss, but last night she was up from 5:45 to 6:25. But at least she didn't cry. She was only awake and stirring, while I was shushing and had a hand on her back. So it wasn't so bad. All phases pass, thank goodness!

How is your ds sleeping and eating these days?

Offline brazylia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 19:37:33 pm »
Hi!

That's good to hear that your dd is sleeping better. My ds is taking better naps now after I introduced reading before naps (usually he sleeps 1.10-1.20) and shortened his A time. He falls asleep on my lap most of the times to be honest, sometimes I don't even notice when I'm reading, but I can't say I regret that, as that constant standing up and screaming before naps was unberable. I think when he gets a bit older we will get to the point when he lies down and I read to him.
As for night wakings... well, they don't occur regulary, he sleeps a couple of days from 7.30pm - 7 am and then some nights he wakes screaming and 1-2h of PD leave me and dh completely derailed. Sometimes I think those parents who get up every night are more used to it and can function better than these "occasional" ones like us. 
I'll observe him more but I suspect he wakes due to bad gas if he ate green peas or beans, but can it be 12h after eating them for lunch?
Take care and let me know how your dd naps and nights are? Still EW?

Offline brazylia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 08:49:46 am »
I need help again...
The NW are getting worse and worse. And night awake time is getting longer (3h last night!)
DS sleeps rather OK during the day ( two 1-1.20h naps) - but falls asleep on my lap while I'm reading... (probably not the best option, but I couldn't stand his constant pulling up - PD didn't work).
Bedtime - asleep by 7.30pm after BF.
He sleeps OK for half a night and wakes crying around 1-2 am (as again PD didn't work... we started hugging him and he usually went back to sleep OK, but I'm afraid it became a prop for him? He can't go back to sleep on his own?) Sometimes he wakes again around 4-4.30 am or sleeps till 7am.

Could it really be that he can't fall asleep by himself??? (but again he used to do NW before standing up and somehow could fall asleep again alone...)
Please give me your thoughts as I'm clueless...

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 22:15:33 pm »
Hi again hun, sorry things have got bad for you again. I think that you are probably right and the holding to sleep has become a prop that DS needs to fall asleep, when he wakes in the night he needs that again to resettle yk? The good news is that if he was an independent sleeper in the past it should come back easier than initial sleep training.

For some babies PD doesn't work, it winds them up more. My DD was like that and she would get sooooo angry when we PD. So we used GW, have a look at this link to see what you think. http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=80750.0 Ignore the WI/WO part as I think that would be too much for your DS at his age.

GW is often used more with toddlers, but I think it would work just fine in your situation. We used this with my DD at 14 months as no other sleep training had ever worked with her and she had always been cuddled to sleep (we had reflux issues though too!). It worked brilliantly for us, what do you think?

Offline charmie

• Showing Appreciation 122
  • my family, my everything
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 22:43:07 pm »
I think it's still the routine that is causing the OT, NWs and EWs.  If you want to share your routine again maybe we can tweak some more?  What rings an alrm bell for me is the fact that he zonks out in the pushchair at around 1 or 1.30.  So I'm thinking he probably needs an ealrier pm nap.  At this age they're going through the 2-1 nap transition.  There isn't enough time in the day for 2 long naps, so you try for 1 short and 1 long nap.  Some babies prefer short am/long pm, and others vice versa.  To give you an example, right now my ds2 is doing;

WU 7ish
Nap 1 10.45-11.30/12 (most of the time I have to wake him up)
Nap 2 13.45-4/4.30 (I would wake him up if still asleep by 4.30)
BT 7/7.30

The earlier pm nap allows for a long enough A time before BT.

Eventually the am nap will go, and the pm nap will start earlier.

HTH

Offline Elizabeth410

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • Sebastien
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 14:53:24 pm »
Hello Brazylia,

Sorry things are not going well with your LO :(

All the above advice is good in my opinion.

The only thing I might add is that if he's falling asleep in your lap during the book reading, I would try to put him to bed earlier, because I think that babies that fall asleep on their own tend to sleep better, and need less props to get back to sleep, etc. I imagine that him falling asleep that way must have been a nice break for you though, after going through all that PD!!

Naptimes earlier, and bedtime earlier : this is what worked for us!
When she wakes at night she is awake less long now. (lucky, I know!)
We keep the activities to a minimum as of 5 pm. We don't let her get even a glimpse of the tv if someone is watching it, and we keep her 5 year old brother from jumping and being his usual energy bomb around her ;) And as hard as this one is, we don't make her laugh after 5pm. We've noticed a BIG difference when there's a 2 hour 'calm' period before bed.

As my husband keeps repeating to me, 'good sleep begets good sleep', so I would try to work on his naps and bedtime hour.

Good luck and keep us posted! xx

Offline brazylia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 18:43:53 pm »
Hi girls!
Thanks so much for your ideas! I guess I have had it all in the back of my mind but it's so hard to put it in practice! Especially if my family don't understand it at all and claims I'm making a rocket science out of ot... DH is somewhere in the middle, he supports me, but has his theories as well...
Anyway, our easy is usually like this these days:
7ish wake up and BF
8ish breakfast and A (he's sometimes sleepy already after breakfast in his highchair...)
10-10.30 nap (1-1.10h, but 30min still happen)
12ish lunch and usually a walk
3ish nap (somewhere between 1h - 1.20h) BF after wake-up
some snack and a short walk if not earlier
5.30-6 supper (sometimes he's really hungry quite early)
6.45-7 bath
7.15-7.45 asleep (he loves playing in water, so wouldn't get out if I let him and sometimes he gets worked up splashing etc..... but how to cut it out if he really enjoys it???)

I decided to stop with hugging at night (not so much before day naps yet but I guess that will have to follow too...) and did PD last night (was really discouraged at first but surprisingly he did calmed down and fell asleep after 8-10 PD at first and after 2-3 the second time he woke up). But even if he doesn't stand up he's lying awake for quite some time and as soon as I stir or make a noise (as I'm trying GW) he sits up (but that's some progress I guess). I noticed too for the first time ever that he lay down by himself after sitting up - so I think he will be able to do it on his own with time?
So  charmie: do you advise, I put him for his first nap before 10 (I will try putting him down awake after reading, we'll see how it goes, or should I set the nights straight first?) and around 2pm for his second nap?
But what if he wakes up after 30min from first nap?
Or what if second nap is 30min too? (there'll be a long gap before bedtime...) and also the meal times will be disrupted...

and Bex: how did you do GW with your DD? Didn't she sit up/stand up? - I guess my DS will immediately sit up and stand up so there'll be no time to even move away from the cot... or should I move away and wait a bit before putting him down?
Elizabeth: I say the exact same words to my DH that your DH does! And I think I will try the "after 5pm calm period" too.

Thanks a lot! It's such a help really!

Offline Elizabeth410

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • Sebastien
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 13:37:21 pm »
Here's what I would try, and I have only my own experience to base this on, so I'm no expert. But here goes:

I've noticed that when Victoria has a later afternoon nap (3pm or later), it takes her a long time to get to sleep at night. Also, she seems to do well with a 2.5 hour A time before her first nap in the morning. She only naps for 30 minutes, which is perfect, because then she can have an earlier afternoon nap,  around 1:30 or 2. Lately, this schedule seems to be working well for us. Which is why I'm recommending it ;)

Ok so, I would do the morning nap around 9:30 and if he wakes up after 30 minutes, I would get him up. Then he could have an earlier afternoon nap, around 1 or 2. This would cut down on his daytime sleep and his pm nap wouldn't be so close to bedtime, so it may help him get to sleep faster at night.

Just my two cents.

Btw, Victoria's still waking up at night, anywhere from 2 to 4 times. We still have to go lie her down, but now most of the time she goes back to sleep within 5 to 10 minutes. So it seems to be getting better.

Have a great day everyone! xx

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 20:58:54 pm »
Hi there, I do agree that if your DS is sleepy after breakfast then he probably is a bit OT ATM, especially if he takes 30 min naps at times. So a slightly earlier am nap may work there.

I would not get him up if he wakes early from naps though, but try to resettle if you can. A short nap for an already OT LO will just make the OT worse. If you can't extend then the next A time needs to be much shorter than normal. I do agree with PP about making sure there is enough A time to BT though. This was always an issue for us too, my DD prefers a longer A time to bed than any other.

As for the GW... we started by putting DD down in the cot and keeping a hand on her, rubbing her back, etc (whatever works to settle your DS) until she fell asleep. She did cry at first but because I was there with her I knew she was fine. We did this for two days/nights, then I just sat by the cot and only put my hand on her if she really cried and took it off when she calmed. The next step was to sit by the cot but not to touch DD at all and just calm with my voice, shushing, etc. This was the worst part for us and we did have about 40 mins of on and off crying, fussing, etc. If it got too much I would put a hand on her (couldn't help myself I am a softy!) After a couple of nights and getting to the point where DD was calm enough for me to not be touching her anymore, I just moved further away every night until I was out of the door. HTHs.

Offline brazylia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 12:43:10 pm »
Hi there!

just wanted to tell you how things have been lately and ask you a few things...
well, since I stared with the PD for the NW he responds to it rather well I'd say... a few PD or sometiems just 1 is enough for him not to attempt at pulling up, he lays for some time and goes back to sleep or falls asleep immediately. Only 1-2 NWs and on Wednesday night he didn't even woke up once!
Last night was a disaster because DH tried PD for 2h (apparently he lay awake or merely asleep and woke every time DH tried to leave the room or was half down the stairs - there's a creaky one), then I interveaned and DS was asleep in 20min... and slept till 6.45.
As for the naps, I don't know if he isn't heading towards 1 nap already? Sometimes he has 2 nice naps of 1-1.10h but sometimes only 30 min after PD to sleep... I put him down earlier, read to him and try to put him down while he's still awake but never know what the result would be.
Perhaps I will try for another 1-2 weeks to stick to the present routine to see what happens and then try some changes?
Maybe earlier morning nap of 30min and earlier pm (1-1.30pm) nap with intention of being longer?
Sometimes I feel so lost with all EASY thing... and doubt in everything...
I found some nice advice on 2-1 transition here some time ago but can't seem to return to it again... could you give me some links?
And elizabeth, isn't your DD having the 2-1 transition with her morning nap so short and early pm nap?

Thanks a lot!!!

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 22:05:01 pm »
Hi hun, here is a great link that I think you will find helpful... http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=163278.0 It covers all kinds about the 2:1 and also links to the support threads too.

You may well be right that your DD is starting the transition, my DD started at 9 months but it took us 3 months of tweaking and extending A times until she was consistently on one nap at 12 mo.

Glad the PD is working so well, sounds like you have made some great progress so far. :)

Offline Elizabeth410

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • Sebastien
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 15:24:02 pm »
Hello Brazylia,

Your week sounds like ours! We also had two good nights this week (with no wake ups), but the next day she had a 2 hour awake period, from 4 to 6 am. Sigh. And when she wakes up, we do PD and shhh, and when we think she's sleeping and leave the room, she immediately lifts her head and we start all over again! They're pretty sneaky our LOs  ;)

Victoria is in daycare several days per week, and she doesn't always have a morning nap when she is there. So when she skips her morning nap, her afternoon nap is a lot longer, 2 to 2.5 hours long. In this case, she has the afternoon nap very early, around 1pm. So yes, to answer your question, I think she could drop the morning nap anytime now. But at home, we see her tired cues in the morning (including fussiness, rubbing her eyes and taking deep breaths), which they might not see at daycare. Which is why we still put her to bed after her 2.5 A time in the morning.

The key to EASY is consistency and paying attention to cues/signs. Five years ago, our son fit right in with every EASY schedule Tracy proposed in 'The baby whisperer solves all your problems'. But our daughter is a bit different and we need to pay closer attention to everything surrounding her naps. We're still trying to figure it out, but without Tracy's advice we'd be completely lost!

Keep us posted! xx

Offline charmie

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 16:22:58 pm »
Hello brazylia!  Sorry I have never been back to reply, but since I posted that my lo went off his routine and I'm still trying to find something that works again.  Nw's, ew's , what have you...  I thought it was due to teething but the tooth came out and the trouble continues.

Anyway, how's it going?

Offline brazylia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 06:08:19 am »
Hi!
How are you and your LOs?

We are a bit better I think - 3-4 NW-free nights a week it's a huge progress! If DS wakes, I am able to calm him down within 30min or so (PD, whispering, sometimes holding a bit), unfortunatelly DH not so much... I'm aiming for GW all the time as well.

Naps are so-so though. I tried putting him down earlier for the 1st nap and so around 1-2pm for the 2nd but it may not be the option for him. Yesterday, his first A time was 4,5h after which he really started showing tired signs and fell asleep immediately I put him down (no book or holding in my arms) and slept 1,5h with short awakening and PD. Woke up at midday and then had a short 30min nap around 3pm. Seemed really OK till bedtime, so maybe this is the routine for him? I will stick to it now.
He can now stand on his own, stand up from the floor sometimes too, so do you think he will begin walking soon :) ?

Another thing is that he wakes earlier now - 5.30-6 (and I know a habit lurks there - DH brings him to our bed for BF...) and I decided to fight this as well (started today, just put him down and he went back to sleep after 20min) but do you suggest I should wake him up at 7am sharp or wait for him to wake up?
If he woke up at 7, then his first nap will be around 11.30 (hopefully till at least 1pm) and perhaps that will do till earlier bedtime or just a short 20-30min around 4pm... I'm really excited to see what happens :)
It's 7.05 am and DS just woke up so wish me luck today!
Take care!

Offline charmie

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 10:19:32 am »
That sounds great !

My lo is 10mo old.  He's waking up at 5am and driving me crazy.  I just posted on GS.

You can never tell how long it takes them to reach milestones, but it sure sounds like he's on the fast track:)

You're doing a great job xxx

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 14:29:24 pm »
What a great update. Sounds like you are really going in the right direction. :)

Offline brazylia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2012, 09:54:38 am »
Well, I thought I was... but when I started putting DS later for the first nap 5 days ago, it all started to go wrong again... or perhaps it's still too soon to tell?
his easy is like this now:
WO 7 BF
8 breakfast
10-10.30 snack
11.30 S (sleeps 30 min, then PD and he sleeps for another 40-50 min) - what does it mean??? wakes up happy
1-1.30 lunch
3 snack
3.30-4 nap of 30 min
5.30-6 dinner
6.30 bath
7 BF and sleep

he wakes 0-2 times before midnight and up to 4 times after midnight!!!! :( :( what is happening??? is he seriously OT???
he goes back to sleep quickly after PD though...

he takes the first long A time very well I guess, plays a lot, attempts at walking etc. It's below -15 Celcius here so we don't go for walks, we also had a birthday party with a bit longer evening A time.
Could you offer any suggestions at tweaking his routine? How to make his first nap longer than 1.5h? Should I abandon the second nap if it's so late and only 30min or try PD? Should I try a bedtime of 6pm maybe?
How long to stick to this routine before deciding it's not working? (I know the 2-1 transition may take a few weeks or more but maybe he's not ready for it yet after all???)
But on the other hand I pushed the first nap to 11.30 (he falls asleep instantly in the crib) because at 10-10.30 it took him much longer and/or refused it)

I'll appreciate any feedback!

Offline charmie

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2012, 14:30:41 pm »
Sounds OT :(  Can you try to do his nap earlier again?

Offline brazylia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2012, 06:55:44 am »
Hey!

DS started walking just after his birthday and the nights are worse than ever now... I put him to bed earlier as he doesn't sleep much during the day (imo) - 1-1,5h before noon and 30 min in the afternoon (and I can't extend his 2nd nap :(. I returned to 2 naps because of his numerous NW but it doesn't look any good because he wakes almost every hour at night!
He falls asleep around 6.30-7 pm (but occasianal 6pm was also no good), sleeps all right (or with short NW) till about 10pm and then the horror begins - every hour or even 30 min he pulls up/sits up and cries... Falls asleep after PD...
Also of course we have EW as well around 6. It happened maybe twice that I BF him and he fell asleep till 8 am.
Am I right that this is developmental? (NW picked up after he learned to pull up about 2,5 months ago)
Or has he been so OT for some time plus additional effort of walking/falling built up to result in these horrid NWs???

I posted on sleepingfortoddlers board but wanted to update you guys and check for your opinion...

What should I do now??  ??? I'm getting desperate and turning into zombie...

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2012, 20:30:34 pm »
Hey there, before I got to the bottom of your post I was going to suggest that you posted in toddler sleep for some more eyes. I would think that part of the problem could well be developmental, but also probably all part of the 2:1 transition too. You will get great advice over there on 2:1 issues.

Offline charmie

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2012, 12:11:15 pm »
I am also thinking it's mostly the 2:1 transition.  Would you like to post a link to your new thread so that we can come support you there too?

Offline brazylia

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2012, 07:07:49 am »
Hi!

Yes, definitely! Please have a look!

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=225942.0

Actually, DS slept whole night last night!!! First time since 3 weeks or so  :D  Last couple of nights were much better too - just 1 short NW before midnight and one longer around 4am (he lies for an hour, tossing and turning).
His molars may be on the way too, although hard to tell...
And on the nap front - 1st nap around 11-11.15 am (1-1,5h, occasionaly he wakes up after 40min - is it UT?), second around 3-4pm (30 min, wakes up crying). I guess I will keep pushing the first nap further over the next few days and see...

Thanks a lot!

Offline charmie

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2012, 17:47:45 pm »
Yay on the whole night's sleep!

On the 40min nap I'm thinking UT, then gets OT by the 2nd nap.  I agree you Probably need to push the 1st nap further.

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2012, 21:35:45 pm »
Seeing as you are getting help over on Toddler Sleep now and you have posted the link to that I am going to lock this thread so that you are getting all of your information in one place. :)