Author Topic: LO waking after nighttime dream feed  (Read 741 times)

Offline AGILL

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: February 08, 2012, 21:19:53 pm »
I hope someone can give me some insight to sort this enigma out, because I'm beginning to lose it...

DS has always had a feed somewhere between 4 and 5am. At first he was wakening fully during the feed, so much so that it'd take him well over an hour to fall back to sleep. Sometimes it would be almost time to get up by the time he dropped back off again. So on the general sleep board, I was given the idea of dream feeding him, which we've been doing for the past couple of weeks. The dream feed has actually been hugely successful and I can put him straight back in his bed after keeping him upright for just 15 mins or so afterwards (because he's a refluxer), however it has triggered another problem.

He has his dream feed around 4am, and then he's generally back in his bed by about 4:45am. He drains a 120ml bottle (during the day he takes 150ml per feed, but I don't want to overstuff him at this time of night because of his reflux). Unfortunately this sleep only lasts for about 45mins and then he wakes up crying, and once again it takes me ages to get him to go back down, usually somewhere around 6:15am. At first we thought it was the reflux flaring back up or gas (or both), but after observing closely he doesn't actually have either. There have been a couple of times where I've managed to settle him back fairly quickly, but that's doing AP in my arms which I'd really like to avoid. And still, those times he'd end up waking back up around 6:15am and wouldn't resettle, so we'd have to start our day (which I'd also really like to avoid). However the last two mornings around 6:15, he hasn't woken fully, but is doing his "doggie panting" (I suppose he's self soothing?) in between short blocks of sleep and has finally woken fully at 7am.

So basically I'm awake from about 3:30am onwards (when my alarm goes off so I can prepare for his dream feed), except for a few short spurts of sleep when DS drops back off, and I don't know how long I'm going to be able to function like this. We've also been having 45min nap problems which I'm correcting by doing W2S, so for the moment I can't even nap when he naps during the day.

To give you a bit of background, DS is 12 wo and is on a combination of 3 and 3.15 EASY. I know that his 45min nap wakings are probably being caused by not enough A time, so we've upped that to 1.30 in the morning and 1.20 in the late afternoon. Could this also be having an effect on the night time problem? I just really stumped - and really tired - so any ideas would be most welcome. TIA!

Offline Bex09

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
Re: LO waking after nighttime dream feed
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 20:46:15 pm »
Oh hunnie that sounds hard going on you! Sending hugs. Hang in there.

Do you want to post your current EASY in EAS format so that we can see if anything else needs tweaking? Also are there any props going on or does your DS self settle to sleep independently?

Offline AGILL

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 08:32:09 am »
Hi Bex09. Thanks for the encouragement, it's much appreciated. We're pretty much prop free, unless he's refluxing (but that's much more under control now with his meds). Today is day 4 of W2S during his naps to help him with the 45 minute transition (in fact, I'm due to go back in there in a couple of minutes). It seems that he's transitioning with much less agitation, so I might try to let him go it alone for his last nap of the day. But it also seems that our W2S training and/or tweaking his A times might be starting to pay off at night too. I don't want to count my chickens before they're hatched, but... last night after a DF at 4:30am he went back down and... after 1 hour he made a small groan and wiggled his head a little, but he just kept on sleeping until about 6:45am when he started fussing with his eyes closed until he finally opened them at 7:15!! So instead of starting my day at 3:30am, I was up for about 1h15min and then got to sleep for an extra 2 hours! I feel like a different person this morning - and if he continues doing the same thing for the next couple of days I'll post a success story on the board to give all those other suffering mummies some hope. It's really amazing how BW techniques do actually work with a bit of persistence!

Offline Bex09

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
Re: LO waking after nighttime dream feed
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 14:30:15 pm »
That is brilliant hun, a great update! :) BW does work wonders and I am glad that things are settling down for you.