Author Topic: 14w wakes up every 30 mins/hour all night, every night. Help! Very desperate!  (Read 4460 times)

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
My big girls were the biggest performers ever when they were out of the house. At the Dr's office, they laughed and played it up while at home screamed the house down all day. I get that, I really do.

The sounds you are describing do sound like reflux to me. E would get a sound going that was similar to a sink drain :(. She would be up all night but have an aweseome 3 hr nap during the day and I let her have it just for all of our sanity.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Thanks for posting Vicki :D You reminded me with the long nap thing that they often sleep well at night or day, rarely both. Mine STTN from share exhaustion at 10 weeks, then would wake starved but he just couldn't sleep during the day.

He also was a darling for my Dr, luckily she had a refluxer so understood. I guess what we are trying to say is that a refluxer doesn't have to vomit a lot, or hate being flat or scream in pain all the time to be in discomfort ;)

Try to take some notes of when LO is unsettled and be aware of the symptoms to see if they start to jump out at you. A classic one is crying on the bottle/breat and aching during feeds or when in pain.

I would APOP as much as you need to right now. Reflux or OT the sleep is more important at the moment than independent sleep just for now :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline riverratmomma

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I will call the pediatrician first thing tomorrow morning. My DH just brought something up: today DS has been smiling and happy, attentive and talkative the entire time he's awake. Not fussy, but happy. If a kid is OT do they do that?I just read your post and it's good to hear that he's not the only one that is a performer. :) It's just at night and naps that he's having a hard time. And he has just begun spitting up the last few weeks, usually about 30 mins after he eats.... i had just assumed that it was normal. He'll just a bit fussy and act uncomfortable for a few minutes, spit up and then grin like mad. It looks like a few teaspoons at a time. I will call the ped tomorrow and just do what I can to keep him asleep and happy tonight. any tricks on keeping him happy and sleeping tonight? I'm wondering if I should just let him sleep in the car seat or in my arms while I'm in the rocker.... Thank you! You guys are wonderful! So amazing of you to share your knowledge and experience. It is very appreciated :)

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Have a sniff of the spill...does it smell acidy at all? Curdled?
The OT can be hard to tell with some LOs, if your L is an angel/textbook he may just cope well with it.

I should do whatever works to get LO to settle, car seat is probably not the best if there is another way. Is your Los cot elevated? I would possibly see if you can sneak into His room before he usually stirs and see if you can get him back off quickly. If he can get into a good deepsleep he may sleep longer. We used to rock in a rocking chair for like 45 mins on bad nights then PD into cot. if your LO will take a paci I would use it to help settle too :-*

Let us know how the dr visit goes :-*
***Sara***

Offline riverratmomma

• Showing Appreciation 0
It does smell very curdled when he spits up, and there are large curdle pieces it. Not sure what acidy smell like, but you can smell curdled milk on his breath and clothes within a few inches, even on his breath after I change him you can still smell it. The spit up is part watery, part very thick creamy chunky stuff that's hard to wipe off clothing. Like chunks of semi-dried laytex paint

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
Just to give you an idea, my girls would projectile vomit and it would smell like rotten mushroom soup. E never spit but her burns smelled like rotten applesauce aol it really can vary so the acidity is a big key.

and when you're making your notes, try to focus on behaviours more than the bad sleep. Its a huge indication to you but many Drs have heard a lot about bad sleep and tend to dismiss it quickly. Look at his behaviour when he's waking and really mention that coughing noise. That screams reflux to me.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline riverratmomma

• Showing Appreciation 0
I will- I'll make sure he gets in to the pedi tomorrow. Hopefully this is it so he can feel better soon :) And the coping makes sense, too. He's a combo of spirited & textbook baby. He used to be very vocal, jabbing non-stop while awake, now it's more limited. I thought that was just him changing as he was growing. Up until a month ago he was sleeping in a bassinet that has an incline (fisher price rock and play sleeper), so I went and put him back into that. Maybe that will help. He's been asleep 1 hour 15 minutes already!! That is exciting for me!! :) Poor kid. I'll make note about his behavior, too, and be sure to tell the doc this stuff: the smell, the consistancy, hoe sleep changed once we moved him to a flat crib mattress and the timing of the spit-up after feeding. I'm going to try and sleep a bit while he's still sleeping. Hopefully it takes :) thanks for your help! I'll let you know what the doc says and how it goes tonight

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
My spirited gets more and more 'happy' when he's OT. No-one ever believes that he's OT as he just seems so happy - vocal, chatting, huge grin, etc.

Hope it goes well with the doc and they listen to your concerns.

Offline riverratmomma

• Showing Appreciation 0
Last night went much better- he slept for about three hours at a time! And so did I! I feel like a new woman with that much sleep :) I put him in the sleeper with the incline around midnight ,and when he woke at 3:30 I let him fall asleep on my shoulder, just cuddled with him. When I laid him down he stirred for a moment then settled right away. He still jerked around trying to get him to sleep but if i just held him tight, then shushed and lightly patted after the jerkings, he calmed down a lot quicker than he has the other nights this week with just shushing and patting while laying down.
The doc is out of the office until tomorrow, but I had them schedule me in for first thing tomorrow morning. Today I'll try to make sure he gets some good 2 hour naps and stays inclined, and see if that helps. Thank you everyone! I am so grateful! Much love and blessings to all of you! I'll keep you posted :)

Offline Mama_Mia

• Showing Appreciation 22
So glad you had a better night. Those longer stretches of sleep is a good start to getting over any ot'ness. But sometimes it takes awhile before they are well rested and sleep better... fingers crossed for a helpful visit to the doc

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Great progress, I feel the incline helped us a lot to. z would fall asleep on my shoulder too after his night feed then I would put him into the cot. :-*
***Sara***