Author Topic: only nursing of one side?  (Read 884 times)

Offline jacksonbearsmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 20, 2006, 19:51:47 pm »
hi there-

im new to this board and was hoping for some advice!

my son has been nursing on one side lately... should i pump the other side when he only takes one side?  when i pump one side i get about 2-3 oz. in 10 minutes which is how long he nurses for on one side. he eats every 2-3 hours..... he will be 3 weeks this thursday!

thanks!!
Keri
~Keri~
Proud Mommy to Jackson David :)

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: only nursing of one side?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 19:55:21 pm »
Keri,
Congrats on your little one and welcome to the baby whisperer site!

Feeding off of only one side is great (in fact, what Tracy recommended).  There is no need to pump the other side, unless you would like to save the milk up for a time away.

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline jacksmummy26

• Showing Appreciation 2
Re: only nursing of one side?
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 20:01:52 pm »
Hiya sorry to jump in here ive got a similar query as my babs feeds of just one side and i think my milk is drying up on the other apart from the wonky boobs! do you think this could cause any probs as i dont have any problem with just one side its more comfortable for me and its definately babs favourite always has been x

Offline Monika aka annamum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 22:39:50 pm »
Keri,

do you mean one side at each feed or one side in total?

Jacksmummy26,

this happens to many women, babies tend to develop preference to one side, it can be because they prefer faster flow or slower flow. I, myself nursed my dd from the right boob exclusively from the start, she refused to latch on the left one and I gave up all attempts in the beginning. My left boob pretty much dried up on its own after some 3 or 4 weeks BUT I happened to have a few drops from it on rare occasions even up to one year later. Here is more info on that: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/lopsided.html

The truth is that you will end up lopsided if you let your baby nurse from just one breast. This bothered me for a little while and then I got used to it, today I don't even notice.
tandem nursing mama to sweet Anna (Feb 2004) and Alexandra (born at home Dec 2006)

Offline jacksonbearsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 01:55:33 am »
Monika -

Sorry! i should have clarified!!  He nurses on one side each feeding but i rotate which side he eats from. (i.e. if at 1pm he ate on the left side, at 3pm i will have him eat on the right)

sometimes he will nurse from both - especially later in the day/evening  but during the day its mostly just one side which i rotate :)

thanks!
~Keri~
Proud Mommy to Jackson David :)