Author Topic: How do I get my 11 month old back on track after regression?  (Read 6358 times)

Offline Jmpratt

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: How do I get my 11 month old back on track after regression?
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2016, 03:08:44 am »
You're so quick!! Thanks!!

This makes a lot of sense to me.  I was able to read this before bedtime tonight so I worked to get her down before the 4hr A mark.  Daycare does an early 2nd nap bc first nap is not long. 

Thursday
WU 745
Nap 11-1210
Nap 230-315
BT 645, went right to sleep, was yawning at 3 hr mark, around 6

So here's my question, what do you suggest doing when she does wake up from OT?  What works for BT hasn't been working at NWs, it has taken an hour and she becomes really distressed.  And when you do EBT, how do you know if LO isn't waking up after 7 hrs or so bc she is hungry?  Ugh!!!

This helps to understand and have a goal to work towards. Also good perspective on the long nap.  If she does take more of those, would suggest capping them at 1.5 hr?   

Xoxo,

Julie

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2016, 19:47:04 pm »
Unfortunately there's not much you can do, just remain consistent. She'll sleep when she's ready. It sucks, it really does. But sometimes we agonise about them getting back to sleep quickly, but it doesn't always happen.. happens for us as adults too yk?

I would not think she's hungry after 7hrs at this age. Milk is no longer the primary source of nutrition, so as long as you've offered enough food throughout the day, she's more than capable of going 11-12hrs. I too used to drive myself crazy if DD didn't eat tea or something thinking she'd wake in the night from hunger. She never did really! other reasons, yes, but not hunger.

Well done ont he EBT tonight. We do need to push your day a little though as I will expect an early morning tomorrow given the amount of sleep she's had overall yk?  Can dc push the whole day on for you bit? Especially that second nap.. if we can get that at around 3pm for 45mins, that should allow a later BT. I wonder if that super short A there might be causing you issues. And actually that first A is quite short too thinking about it. Maybe those two low A's then a super long A to BT is actually effecting the NT sleep now.

Another option is to accept the early wu at around 6am, do first nap at the same time and still move that second nap to 3pm. Then a 6/6.30 BT would work longish term xx

Offline Jmpratt

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2016, 05:05:22 am »
So she slept 12 hours last name get after EBT!

WU 645
Nap 1115-1230
Nap 210-320
BT 650

NW 9, right back when I gave her my hand, then I heard gas
NW 1130 pretty quickly back too ??

Today's schedule was pretty identical to yesterday...except she got extremely sleepy tonight around 6, last night she did but not as much as tonight. We were over s friends for dinner or I might have put her to bed earlier, like 620?

Why does it seem like sstn is a fluke when it happens?

Going to ask DC to move naps back for longer A times.

😊

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2016, 07:38:15 am »
Yay to the 12hrs! Right we know that A time to BT works, but we might not be able to reply on 12hrs consistently. If you can ask them to push the naps back I think it would really help your day. In any case, in he meantime let's keep that last A xx

Offline Jmpratt

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2016, 04:21:28 am »
So, fastest way to update you is the schedule!

Sunday
WU 7
Nap 11-1
Nap 430-5
BT 8, GW from hand underneath to hand on her back

Sttn 😊

Monday - I asked daycare to push 2nd nap back
WU 7, grouchy though
N 1135-1205
N 330-415
BT 730, tough to soothe with hand on back, tried EBT bc of short naps to prevent OT and to keep 3 hr A time to BT

Nw 830, sake and crying for 30 min
Nw 12, awake and crying for 1 hour

Tuesday
WU 8, woke happier, maybe she makes up for sleep in the am rather than BT
N 10-50-1140
N 325-405
BT 8, pushed back to usual time even tho 4 hr A time, much easier to soothe with hand on back

Nw 1030 awake for 10 min or less, hand on back worked!!!

And that's where we are!

So my conclusions are
-with only 2 hours of naps, she does 12 hr day, perhaps 8-8
-with 2+ hrs naps, she does 13 hr day, 7-8
- BT needs to stay around 8 for now. 
- LO can't sleep longer than 1 cycle at dc right now

My questions
-ok to stretch then 2nd nap out even after short 1st nap?
-4 hr A time better than EBT? My night tonight might help us answer that
-when do you move to the next GW stage? 3 nights or when LO has gotten used to it?
-what's the next stage after she soothes with my hand on her back?
Lightening my hand then touching one time quickly, then sitting in chair next to bed saying words, then in middle of room, then doorway?

Hoping she stays healthy long enough to go through some more stages!! L
😊

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2016, 12:37:37 pm »
This is great Julie, well done you. This looks like you've figured her out for now, so i'd keep with it! Just keep an eye on the 4hr to BT.. it may catch up with her, but in the meantime let's keep as is.

The one sleep cycle is pretty common in dc I've heard. As long as you work with the 12hr day, I think you'll be fine on those days.

Yes, I always think it's better to stretch out the second nap even with a shorter first nap so you can keep a reasonable A to BT. Otherwise it just get's far too long. I'd keep with the hand on the back, as long as you're using it to soothe rather than her to fall asleep with this is perfectly ok! I'd stay with her with the hand on the back as long as she's upset, then once she's quiet, I'd say your sleepy phrase and that mummy is going back to bed now and start towards the door. If she gets upset, rinse and repeat, does that sound ok? xx

Offline Jmpratt

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2016, 03:27:01 am »
Thanks!  after hating you analyze her routine several times now, I've started being able to myself. 

So we're doing ok.  She slept 1040pm-730am after Nw at 1030.

So wrt GW,

1. i have only used my sleepy phrase to get her to lay down in the crib, haven't used it when she falls asleep in quite some time.  Still able to startups get it now? Said it softly tonight at BT.

2. Are you suggesting going right from hand on back to soothe and saying I'm going back to bed?  No steps in between?  Or just starting there? 

:) :)

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2016, 08:08:44 am »
I just like the idea we tell them where we're going yk? Yes, I'd go straight from he hand on the back and once she's calm, whisper that you're off to bed and go to leave. If she starts back up again, return to her, hand on her back etc etc. It will show her mummy is there when she's upset, but mummy really does have to go back to bed too! I still use this on my bubba now so it's setting you up for the long-term xx

Offline Jmpratt

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2016, 21:12:37 pm »
Sounds great.

Yesterday's schedule:

WU 720
N 12-130 (later bc of preschool tour for DS, shorter than I thought)
N 5-540 (later again bc e were visitin friends)
BT 830 (13 hr day with long nap, but seemed OT )

NW 1130, right back to sleep w my hand on hr back.
Slept through til 720

OT??  2nd A time was too long. 

Thx!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2016, 06:54:19 am »
This looks great actually, how's it been going since? xx

Offline Jmpratt

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2016, 03:11:44 am »
Ok question!

When you suggest patting her on the back and telling her mommy is going to bed, do you wait until she is soothing and almost to sleep? Or right when you put her down in the crib sleepy?

Night 1: she was exhausted and went right to sleep, sttn
Night 2: cried for 10 min or so, then when she calmed I patted and said the phrases
She woke every hour for the first 3-4 hrs and then threw up!  But then she seemed to not be able to settle on my chest so I put her in the bed with clean sheets and she went right back to sleep!!

Night 3: she was not tired at the 13 hr mark, got 2.5 hours daytime sleep, was talkative and moving all around, not crying but not settling, I wasn't sure what to do!
I stayed and just kept saying phrases and patting on the bed.  Shea's trying to soothe but didn't start falling asleep u til 14 hr mark.  G parents are in town and this could have contributed.  Glad she wasn't crying but what would you suggest?

Besides capping naps!! In general,  do you do steps right say and then repeat until she gets it or do you do them when she's on her way to dreamland?

Thx!  Xx

Offline Jmpratt

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2016, 02:30:52 am »
Another day's information to try and make a conclusion.  And of course the night after yesterday's schedule.

So last night was when when BT was 930.

NW 12, 5 min soothed easily by my hand
Nw 2 cried out, right back, didn't need my help
Nw 4 5 min soothed easily with hand
Nw 5, cried out, didn't. Need me
Nw 6 cried out again
Teething, still sick, who knows

WU 710
Nap 11-1
Nap 5-530
BT, 9, didn't seem tired, put in bed when she wasn't drowsy, cried and played around for about 15 min then out pretty easily.

Gave Motrin to try and rule out teething. 

Grandparents are visiting, could this make her not want to go to be both nights? Or do you think she's showing signs of not needed the 2nd nap?

I haven't officially started walking out of the room.  I do right after she settles to sleep and I whisper that I am. 

Will start doing it shortly after putting her down tomorrow night unless I hear otherwise from you!  No worries, whenever you get back!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2016, 19:46:26 pm »
I do wonder if she's getting rather close to one nap now as the days are getting rather long aren't they? It's totally up to you in what works for your family. But 4hrs after 30mins nap would drive me bonkers!

It does sound like discomfort.. have you checked for 1yo molars? xx

Offline Jmpratt

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2016, 18:36:21 pm »
Hey Kelly!  Me again!  Need some more guidance!

So LO is still working on the 2-1 nap change.  Ever since the first day she took 1 nap at DC, she wakes up between 12-4 and screams bloody murder.  It lasts for 1-1.5 hours, I"ve broken down and given a bottle 3 times out of 6-7 days of it.  Its awful and I am exhausted and can't keep up this way.  I can have my hubby help out some but wanted to check in to see if you have any ideas for either of us.

What I've observed:
I don't feel molars but that doesnt mean she doesn't. 
Motrin and Orajel at NW's don't help. 
Motrin at BT helps her sleep longer before the NW.
When she gets 2 naps, NW is not as bad.
When last A time before bed is 3-4 hours, she goes to sleep easily.
When I pick her up, she stops crying.  But then expects/wants a bottle to go back to sleep.
WI/WO did help her soothe with my hand when I went in the last time.  I tried this last night because I was at my wits end and don't want to regress to giving a bottle. 
She may or may not be ready to transition to 1 nap!!!  ??? 

I can send along our schedule for past few days if you want it.  Basically, she is screaming for 30-60 minutes around 2-3 and not wanting anything but to be picked up and a bottle.  Ever hear of this?  My nephew who is 1 month ahead of her is doing the same exact thing.  Molars? Separation anxiety?  Developmental awareness?  I sware she is looking at our shadows on the wall when I'm in there. 

thanks!! 

So tired,

Julie

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2016, 08:04:20 am »
I think you may have answered your own question there hun  ;). How is the day on 2 naps? Some bubbas don't cope with the fast rapid change to one nap and need 2 with a silly long day for a little while.

A lot of NW's can be developmental, we've just gone through it, however I'm inclined to believe yours might be a little OT on the one nap days if you've noticed a pattern. Let's try and tweak your two nap days a little more. It may only last a couple of weeks but might be enough to get you all through xx