Author Topic: Regression - easy is not that easy??? 16 wo baby  (Read 5598 times)

Offline orit78

• Mother to 3
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Regression - easy is not that easy??? 16 wo baby
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2012, 15:25:53 pm »
We have another visit next week so I hope the doctor will be able to help me here.
She gave us a med named: Losec (omeprazole). His skin still suffers from atopic dermatitis (eczema) and I'm just thinking that I'm about to stop eating anything ;)
I know I'm perfectionist - I want everything in my life to be perfect including my baby. Till he was 2 months old and everything (except his weight) seemed calm, I was very pleased with the way I handle my 3 children. Now with all the mass and the NW I compeltely lost it and I feel so bad that I can't help my LO.
Do you think the gas is a sympthom of the reflux?

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2012, 17:32:16 pm »
Hugs

Gas can be a symptom  of reflux. Losec was wonderful for us.

It can take up to two weeks to see the full effects of the Losec but it can often really help sooner than that.

FX for you.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2012, 00:17:20 am »
(((Hugs))) hon, you're doing such a good job with him. LOs that have other issues like reflux and intolerances are just harder babies than those without. He's so blessed to have you for a mom. If it were me, I'd just start doing whatever needs to happen to get him what he needs, but keep your sanity. If that means he sleeps in the swing for all naps and some of the night, so be it. My neighbor's LO has pretty bad reflux and she sleeps either in the swing or on her mom in the recliner all night. She's 6 mo younger than DS and had better nights than he did while teething. :o :P

Can a LC help you with the feeding at all? I'm not sure why he feeds much better at night. It could be because there's less distraction from his older siblings, but it could be because of the reflux/intolerances. I know you don't want to be up all night, but if you just feed him at that 3:30-4ish time rather than trying to resettle him, just to feed anyway, you might get a bit more sleep.

Offline orit78

• Mother to 3
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2012, 07:18:44 am »
I'm not sure why he feeds much better at night.
I also think it's because he is less disracted and also because he is hungry since during the day he doesn't eat. In addition - maybe because he's sleepy he doesn't really eat but just do the sucking.

I know you don't want to be up all night, but if you just feed him at that 3:30-4ish time rather than trying to resettle him, just to feed anyway, you might get a bit more sleep.
I se what you mean, but thing is that when he wakes up with his gas (farting) - I really know that it's not hunger and I don't want to just push him food. It's like I would have a stomach aces and DH will feed me....Tonight it happened again. DH gave him DF at about 23:50 (a bit late than usual). Then he woke up at 3:07 farting. I gave the paci and I think he resttled. But he didn't sleep deeply enough. He had another gas attack. DH took him trying to resettle him in the stroller cot. Didn't help. Then he put him in his arms and you could hear his farts. This didn't seem to help him. We gave him something for the colic (it's sweet natural med) - it made him calm and he fall asleep. Then he woke at 5:30 and I BF.
Unfortunately he heard some noise at 7:40 and he woke up. It may sound a bit late but it's weekend and I didn't mind him to sleep more...

It can take up to two weeks to see the full effects of the Losec but it can often really help sooner than that.
If there was a magic change in the first 3 nights but then we were back to original situation - does it mean something? Do yhou think that when he starts eating solids things will be better?

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2012, 07:53:55 am »
I se what you mean, but thing is that when he wakes up with his gas (farting) - I really know that it's not hunger and I don't want to just push him food. It's like I would have a stomach aces and DH will feed me...
I understand this thought - what I would say though, is that LO's often relax while BFing and can pass the wind easier once relaxed.

Offline katie80

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2012, 12:40:36 pm »
What about not doing the DF for a few nights to see if it would make a difference in that 3-4am gassiness?

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2012, 15:48:10 pm »
Thinking back to the eczema added with the reflux, I'm wondering of some food intolerances may be at play here. One of the most common is dairy so if you're still bf'ing perhaps cutting out the dairy for a few weeks to see if it makes a difference. Dairy stays in the system for a long time (ten days for you and another ten for lo) but you may see an improvement quickly by cutting it out.

The meds may have been helping some but if there is an underlying issue such as a food intolerance, they won't work to their fullest potential. Reflux can present as anatomical if things aren't complete developed in their tummies or it can present due to food intolerances.

More hugs
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline orit78

• Mother to 3
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2012, 08:13:51 am »
My chrome has just crashed - after I wrote you a long reply :(
So - first I want to thank you all for all the great support you give - it really helps me especially since I'm so depressed lately with the situation (mostly because I'm so tired). But your concern and answers really help!!!
So - I still need your support after the bad night we had :(
I haven't seen katie80 suggestion, but I thought also about that - yesterday we dropped the DF thinking that maybe the DF interfere his deep sleep ('cause sometimes when we had to go out and didn't get back at 23:00-23:30 to feed him he slept till 1:00 and even more). But LO had his own plans yesterday:
I fed him at 16:00, 19:000 and 20:00. Then put him to sleep (once again this was getting worse - it took him 30 min to finally fall asleep). I went to sleep at 22:20. Since his crib is in our room I heard him moving. He moved his head from side to side (he sleeps in his tummy) but didn't whine or cried, so I did nothing. But at 23:15 he started whining and I gave him the paci. He didn't sleep good - eventually I fed him at 00:00 hoping that at least this will give me 5 hours of sleep. But my hope worth nothing - even though the feeding at 00:00 was long and I felt he ate a lot - at 3:45 (what's with this hour???) he woke again. The paci didn't help and at 4:00 I fed him again. At 5:45 he started making noises and we took him o our bed tying to resettle him. Then he slept till 7:30. I left a EBF bottle to DH as I had to leave in the morning. He said that he didn't want to eat - ate only at 8:00.

So now I have few questions:
1. is this a habit? The NW at 23:00 ('cause usually he got DF)? what about the 3:45? This time I didn't hear any farting but i'm sure that hunger wasn't the trigger.
2. This morning (while writing to you) - once again I had to extend his morning nap after 40 min. Why???? We had few days when it was better. Yesterday was a perfect...
3. To make him sleep during the day it takes only few min for him to fall asleep. How come it doesn't the same for the night sleep?
4. Do you think the pat/shh (actually I use patting more than shh) can be a prop? Is it possible that in order to fall back to sleep at night he needs 30 min of patting?
5. As for dairy - I dropped milk products and tomatoes. I didn't see improvement in his skin. Plus - I really want to stop BF him but I'm afraid because of the intolerance... Maybe it'll make things better??

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2012, 08:23:54 am »
is this a habit? The NW at 23:00 ('cause usually he got DF)? what about the 3:45? This time I didn't hear any farting but i'm sure that hunger wasn't the trigger.
I don't think so. He may well just be uncomfortable. A few mums say their LO's reflux gets worse around 4am... not sure why though.

This morning (while writing to you) - once again I had to extend his morning nap after 40 min. Why? We had few days when it was better. Yesterday was a perfect...
What's his A time? Maybe its time for an increase? Was he more stimulated that usual - could it have been overstimulation? What was he like when he woke?

3. To make him sleep during the day it takes only few min for him to fall asleep. How come it doesn't the same for the night sleep?
I don't know - maybe that he has just had a feed? What if you fed him and had him upright and did some low key activity for 20-30mins before putting him down for the night?

Do you think the pat/shh (actually I use patting more than shh) can be a prop? Is it possible that in order to fall back to sleep at night he needs 30 min of patting?
Unlikely... I wonder if you're stepping in when he's trying to settle himself? Is this whining a mantra cry? I don't mean not to respond to him, he's probably in pain still, but just as a possibility.

As for dairy - I dropped milk products and tomatoes. I didn't see improvement in his skin. Plus - I really want to stop BF him but I'm afraid because of the intolerance... Maybe it'll make things better??
There are other things that can be an issue in your diet - there are ladies on the http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=13.0 board who have done elimination diets to help their LO's with intolerances. I don't know a lot about it, but they would be able to help and advise you much better on that question.

Offline orit78

• Mother to 3
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2012, 10:19:53 am »
What's his A time? Maybe its time for an increase? Was he more stimulated that usual - could it have been overstimulation? What was he like when he woke?

Is total A time (including eating) is more or less 2 hours. Then he usually sleeps something like 1 1/2-1 3/4 (in good times it can be 2 hours) - sometimes I need to help him move the transition of the cycles.

I don't know - maybe that he has just had a feed? What if you fed him and had him upright and did some low key activity for 20-30mins before putting him down for the night?
Well - I've tried to feed him (earlier) and than bath him + babies story and then put him to bed. I can't say I had more success. There is something about the night dark that makes him a little monster that can't fall asleep. BTW - in those moments you can see his eyes are closed and that he understands that this is the sleeping time. It's not that he want to play. He really wants to fall asleep.

Unlikely... I wonder if you're stepping in when he's trying to settle himself? Is this whining a mantra cry? I don't mean not to respond to him, he's probably in pain still, but just as a possibility.
I'm not sure I fully I understood BW definition for mantra cry. He sleeps next to us in his own crib. Even if I try to wait 1 min to see if he settles himself it hasn't worked. He is not a screamer baby. H doesn't cry. Just whining.

There are other things that can be an issue in your diet
I'll try to post in the other forum too. From what I've seen - I think I should fast if I keep BF ;)

Offline katie80

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2012, 04:07:41 am »

Is total A time (including eating) is more or less 2 hours. Then he usually sleeps something like 1 1/2-1 3/4 (in good times it can be 2 hours) - sometimes I need to help him move the transition of the cycles.
And how old is he now? It's pretty normal to have to extend naps until about 6 mo of age when something developmentally clicks and they start doing it better on their own (as long as the A time is appropriate).

There is something about the night dark that makes him a little monster that can't fall asleep. BTW - in those moments you can see his eyes are closed and that he understands that this is the sleeping time. It's not that he want to play. He really wants to fall asleep.
This sounds like discomfort or a little OT/UT/OS is at play. Bedtime can be hard for some babies for awhile.

I'm not sure I fully I understood BW definition for mantra cry. He sleeps next to us in his own crib. Even if I try to wait 1 min to see if he settles himself it hasn't worked. He is not a screamer baby. H doesn't cry. Just whining.
A mantra cry is one that usually sounds like a mantra... it's repetitive, it doesn't escalate, it can be loud or not so loud, it's baby's way of self-settling, it does escalate if a parent steps in and disrupts the self-settling process. Honestly, I'd sit back and wait if I were you, he may not even be awake if he's whining. I usually leave a mantra cry for 10-15 min (I'm not sure it's ever gone on that long though) before I go in to check on anything. He may be whining because he's uncomfortable or he may be whining because he's just trying to settle himself. Give him a chance and see what happens.

Offline orit78

• Mother to 3
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2012, 11:24:39 am »
And how old is he now?
He's 4 months and 10 days old. Some days are good some are less referring to his naps extension. I really hope this will pass soon.

He may be whining because he's uncomfortable or he may be whining because he's just trying to settle himself. Give him a chance and see what happens.
I'll try this. I know that his paci is a bit of a prop for him. When he sucks the paci he's ready to fall asleep, but when he moves his head from side to side the paci gets out and then he starts whining. Usually we are still in the room so I see what happens. During his day naps he doesn't move so much so the paci stays in his mouth while he falls asleep. When he's in deep sleep he doesn't care for the paci, but he needs it for comfort himself. I'll try to see if he can handle things by "himself".

This night I also dropped the DF as he went to sleep quite late (20:45) and he only ate at 20:15. He woke up at 00:15 and I gave the paci. Then he woke at 2:20 and I fed him. Next waking was at 6:07 - tried to extend it a bit using the paci, but then I just fed him. Since he went to sleep late 6 in the morning was still considered night for me so I got him back to sleep.
I'm thinking maybe since the temputure here got higher, it may bothers him. We slept prt of the night with AC and he didn't wake up (only for eating), so I don't know... maybe I should spend the money on electricity but at least have him sleep in comfort ;)

Offline katie80

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2012, 18:48:16 pm »
Sounds like the A time is about right then for his age.  If it's developmental, the short naps will likely pass, but if he needs the paci to fall asleep, they may not, because he might not be able to transition from one sleep cycle to the next without a paci.  That's what happened with my DD.  I didn't think it was a prop because she spit it out before she was fully asleep, but she needed it just to get to the place where she could fall asleep, so couldn't transition on her own. :-\

I'm thinking maybe since the temputure here got higher, it may bothers him. We slept prt of the night with AC and he didn't wake up (only for eating), so I don't know... maybe I should spend the money on electricity but at least have him sleep in comfort ;)
I think temperature actually plays more of a factor than we give it credit for.  We slept at the lake last weekend and it was quite warm one night.  My DS woke and is usually quite quick to go back down, but was tossing and turning for a good 20 min and I really think it was because he was quite warm and couldn't get comfy.  Think of how restless our sleep can be when we're either too hot or too cold, and we have the capability of fixing it for ourselves whereas a baby can't.

Offline orit78

• Mother to 3
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2012, 18:59:10 pm »
but she needed it just to get to the place where she could fall asleep, so couldn't transition on her own.
So - what did you do? I must say that today he slept both his naps with no extension on my side. There were only 1.5 hour,and not 2 hours to make it a real 4 hours EASY, but for now I'm pleased with that.
Both DD1 and DD2 used the paci. I do remember that sometimes I hated this paci, but over whole I think it's worth.
I'm thinking that the temperature also affected his day naps.
I'll try to see how it goes tonight. In addition - tomorrow morning we have another visit at the doctor. Hopefully, we'll have some more answers.

Offline katie80

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2012, 19:04:02 pm »
but she needed it just to get to the place where she could fall asleep, so couldn't transition on her own.
So - what did you do?
I did PUPD to get rid of the paci, but she *never* slept past 45 min unless the paci stayed in her mouth, so I knew it was a prop.  If he can do it sometimes, like today, I don't think it's the cause of the short naps, they're likely developmental.  1.5 hr naps are just fine at this age.  He doesn't need to be on a 4 hr EASY at 4 mo, in fact lots of EBF bubs aren't.  And, you might as well get an extra cluster-type feed into him on a 3.5 hr EASY so he hopefully sleeps longer at night for you.