Author Topic: Help, should I transition from 2 naps to 1?  (Read 1545 times)

Offline cacampbell68

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help, should I transition from 2 naps to 1?
« on: January 11, 2006, 21:24:41 pm »
Hi there,

I have been reading a little about naps and I think I may have to switch Kathryn from 2 naps to 1. (She is 10 months today!)She has been a good napper for the most part and always has setled herself in pretty well.  Lately though it seems like I put her down for her am nap and she plays, babbles and pulls herself to standing for almost an hour now(it started for 15 minutes and has gone to an hour). Same thing for her afternoon nap.

Here is her schedule:
*wakes around 7am-8oz bottle
*cereal and fruit around 8:30
*nap at 9am to 10, sometimes 10;30 or 11(this is the tricky part-she babbles and plays sometimes until 10 so then her nap is only about 40 mins)
*snack
*lunch at 12:30-12:45(meat, veggie, fruit)
*4-6 oz bottle at 2pm
*nap at 2pm(same as above)
*snack
*dinner at 5:30-5:45(meat, veggie, fruit)
*snacks (from our dinner while we are eating)
*bath, story, bottle(8oz) at 7-usually in bed and asleep by 7:30-7:45)
I hear so many people around me talk about their babies and children taking a good afternoon nap. If I was to transition her from 2 naps to 1 what is the best time to start her afternoon nap and how do I do it?
Thank you for any of your advise!

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 23:23:48 pm »
Hi

We had trouble at 10mos also - this seems to be a common age for this.  But i would hold off longer if you can.

I would try pushing the start time of that am later and keep that am to 1hr max.  That should help and will give more time between am and pm nap.

Have you read the 2 to 1 announcement at the top of this forum.  There is excellent tips.

Let me know if you have any questions after reading it.

Offline cacampbell68

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 01:56:15 am »
Hi Michelle,

Thank you for your info.  I checked out your announcement.  Okay, so I will start her am nap at 10am and only let her sleep for an hour.  Then I will start her pm nap at 2...hopefully that will be better.  She is such a great night sleeper(knock on wood, ha, ha)She has sleep through the night since she was 2 1/2 months.  There has been times when she was teethng that she woke up and cried for a few minutes, but, other than that, we have been very lucky.  She is such a good girl.  The only problem I have is that tomorrow is our once a week shopping day.  Since we live quite a ways from major grocery shopping and errands we do it in one day.  How do you help them get some sort of nap in while we are out? I have read that sleeping in the car is not the best for them and that it is not good sleep. She is good when we go out too, she never fusses or gets cranky, she loves to see the world.  Thanks for your help.

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 02:51:07 am »
You are very lucky!  and you are very welcome.

I would try to time the start of your outing about 15min before her nap time (if she will nap in the car).   Go and get a coffee.  I know it is not ideal, but it is only once a week and if is the only time you can do it then...you gotta do it  :? .

Then once she falls asleep, get to your first stop...enjoy a coffee and mag/book until she wakes up  :wink: (can you tell i have been there - done that :D  :shock: ).

PS: depending on you dc, you may need to gradually stretch out the A time so you don't get an over tired baby, but watch the sleep cues and you should be fine.

Offline cacampbell68

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 16:26:03 pm »
Okay, everything worked out for the best yesterday on our outings.  She did not nap until noon since we had to get her blood drawn, but, woke up about 12:30 for lunch.  Her afternoon nap was not until coming home about 5pm...she was so good all day even during and after drawing of her blood.
Today though I have a problem.  I started her on the 3 hour wake to sleep.  She woke up at 7am I put her down at 10am...she talked, chatted to herself, rolled around, played with erh balnkie(no crying)and just fell asleep at 10:55...what do I do now?  Do I wake her or let her sleep for an entire hour? If that is the case then her pm nap will be pushed almost an hour ahead and I cannot forget that her bedtime is 7:30. I feel like I am doing something wrong, it is so fustrating, at least she isn't crying during her hour marathon! HELP! Thank you!

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 17:23:09 pm »
Hi, i know this is a frustrating stage.  They go thru this phase where 2 naps is too much but 1 nap is not enough or not ready for yet.  So you are not doing anyting wrong, what she is doing is completely normal - just not so easy on mom!

I would wake her after 1hr - then start nap #2 after 3hr of A time - again wake her after 1hr and aim for bed about the same time (give or take 15min).  My LO was the kind who didn't like a long A time after nap nap and bedtime - but they are all different.

If she starts to fight bed time then you may need to alter the plan.   Let me know how it goes!

Offline cacampbell68

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 21:43:54 pm »
Yes, this is so frustrating!!!  I do feel like I am doing something wrong.  This afternoon, we went for a nice long walk, she wouldn't take her bottle, then I tried putting her down at 2:50pm...well, she just fell asleep and it is 4:30!!  I am so upset, that I just took it out on my hubby when he walked in the door.  What else can I do?

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 03:38:58 am »
Well Miss Kathryn, since you are not being nice to mom she may have no choice but to try the 1 nap and see how it goes.

Do you want to try for one nap then?  You say she stayed awake until 10.55am today, if you want to try for one nap then i would let her wake at normal time and do normal breakie/bottle.

10.30 or 11.00 give a 1/2 lunch
11.30 put her down for nap (pray she sleeps for a good bit)
1.30ish or when she wakes naturally - give balance of lunch followed by bottle or later if doesn't want.
*snack when tired or hungry
*dinner at 5:30-5:45(meat, veggie, fruit)
*snacks (from our dinner while we are eating)
*bath, story, bottle(8oz) at 7-usually in bed and asleep by 7:30-7:45) CAN do this earlier if needed 6.30 maybe for a few days to help her along.

Let me know if you have any questions.  Hope that help  :)
PS: go and give your dh a big kiss :wink:

Offline cacampbell68

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Help, should I transition from 2 naps to 1?
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 03:10:55 am »
Hi Michelle,
I thought I would let you know what Kathryn has been up to.  The little stinker!  ;D  Well, we tried combining her naps but I think after a few days of that her body told her to go back to 2. So, we are now on 2 again. She is doing well.  She gets up at 7am, goes down for her first nap at 10am(just a few minutes is spent playing and rolling around), then her next nap is at 2pm(with a few minutes spent playing and rolling around). Both naps are about an hour, sometimes the am nap is 1.5 hours. All is good and I am glad that she is back on track.  Thank you for your help!!  :)Take care, Christa

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
Re: Help, should I transition from 2 naps to 1?
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 03:19:43 am »
Christa, thanks for the update - this will probably happen again (somedays 1, others 2) but normal and now you know what to expect.

Hugs! ;)