Author Topic: Needs help with sippy a lot  (Read 2514 times)

Offline emz1907

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 13
Needs help with sippy a lot
« on: November 03, 2008, 13:31:38 pm »
My lo uses his sippy cup all during the day, but he has trouble tilting it up enough to drink from it. When he can't do it he holds it out for me and shouts until I tip it for him so he can get a drink. I did this for him when we first started using the cup months ago, but now he is 1 I think he should be able to do it himself, do you? He just won't tip it up, then we he can't drink from it he starts just chewing on the rubber spout bit and messing on with it.
~Emma~

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Needs help with sippy a lot
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 22:03:50 pm »
Colin had the same sort of trouble, so we used straw cups until he was older. :)
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

lilmonkey

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 12:37:56 pm »
I second the straw cup. 

Offline emz1907

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 19:17:43 pm »
I dont want to sound stoopid, but what kind is a straw sippy? The one he has now has a rubber kind of spout which doesnt spill. When he bites down on the teat then the liquid comes out. Also he still hasn't attempted to hold his bottle yet, is this normal?
~Emma~

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline aidliz

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 03:15:17 am »
If the cup you have has one of those plugs, for no spill, take it out and it will be easier for him.  We also had the straw sippys, and he might have trouble learning how to suck, my ds did.  They are good for the oral muscles and will help with developing his mussles.  Ds had oral sensory. off subject sorry.

Offline trypsmommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 04:16:44 am »
my ds doesn't know how to suck from a straw yet and he's 1 yr old. Good luck with it though. :)

Offline aidliz

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 05:12:42 am »
My ds did have straw issues at first then one day i gave him the straw in his mouth and said drink like your baba, and he managed to suck through the straw.

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 07:40:12 am »
My friend's dd didn't hold her own cup until after 18 months, my friend was so frustrated, her DD was so laid back I just don't think she could be bothered!!
Katt

Offline ~Jamie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 20:32:17 pm »
does your sippy cup have handles? i tried the ones without handles first. but he coudlnt' hold it(we started him kind of young.) so i offered it to him alot.i've been meaning to invest in the straw kind myself but we have so many of the regular kind that i haven't. so no straw drinking here yet.and ds also would only hold his bottle for dh. and he didn't start that til about 7 months. with me he would only hold it himself if i gave it to him and left him alone.if i sat in a chair with him he wanted me to do it. i started introducing a sippy cup way early b/c i didn't want to have bottle weaning issues. around 6 or 7 months, just with water. but ds didn't start tipping his cup on his own til arond 9 or 10 months. sometimes he still doesn't doesn't tip it and he's 14 months now. he'll just sit there and suck on it and make piggie sounds.

Offline Purplecattypants

• Showing Appreciation 203
  • PANTS!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 20:35:05 pm »
How are things going Em?

Another probably obvious tip....make sure the cup isn't too heavy, perhaps try just half filling it to see if that makes a diff?
Angela

My homebirthed, hypnobirthed, waterbirthed everything. 27th Sept '07, 6lb 10oz. Proud to have breastfed for 19 months!

Offline emz1907

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 19:45:40 pm »
A bit better thanks Angela, if the sippy is full he can tip it up and drink from it. Its when the level goes down he has trouble as he can't seem to understand that he has to keep on tipping it up. It does have handles, but he now also once he has finished having a drink sticks his finger in the spout and lets all the water flow out over the highchair ::) He still loves to bite on the spout too. We've had no more success with the straw type sippy we bought either, he just doesn't get that one.
He still couldn't take a long drink from his sippy, say if he was to have his morning or nighttime bottle from it as he splutters after a few sips.
~Emma~