Author Topic: Toddler Support Thread for 2-1 Nap Transition Continued  (Read 55199 times)

Offline <Catherine>

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
Re: Toddler Support Thread for 2-1 Nap Transition Continued
« Reply #435 on: June 26, 2010, 11:58:56 am »
DS did Thurs at 3 hours, which I just let him sleep til he woke, at exactly 3 hours, then Friday was the same, although he was with my sister and she actually woke him at just before 3 hours as she thought he'd been asleep for so long, so Im guessing he would have woken at 3 hours then but not sure. This one 'one long nap' business is very new to me so just seeing how it goes at the mo! :) I'm sure it'll need adjusting more at some point, although the 3 hour nap was just blissful!! :)

Today hasn't gone to plan though - He's been with DH this morning and it never seems to go to plan when he's with him - he'll eat well and sleep when he's supposed to with anyone else (my sister and my friend have him for me when Im working in the week) but with DH it always changes - does anyone else find this? I think it's partly down to DH who doesn like being told what to do (!) so if I leave instructions with times for eating, sleeping etc, he tends to like to deviate from it slightly just so he feels he's doing things 'his way'!!! But, having said that, we're not completely strict with the routine for DS anyway and when he's with my sister she sticks to what I tell her roughly but plays it how she thinks she needs to aswell so I can't understand it. This morning DH put DS down for his nap and he only slept for about 1/2 hour, so now he's up and I'm not sure what to do. I think I'll try for a longer nap in a little while.
Catherine x

Offline marlowsmom

• Sharon
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #436 on: June 26, 2010, 12:56:24 pm »
Catherine, I think you've answered your own question there.   DH isn't sticking to the plan and doing what he wants to do instead of what your LO needs.    My DH doesn't pay attention to any of this "BW business" so I know if on the rare chance I leave Marlow with him I have to be very explicit about what needs to be done and how.   He still doesn't listen.    The last time I left him with Marlow he put he down for nap time 30 min early.    Have you thought of writing the schedule down and imploring how really important it is to stick to the schedule?   Stress how this is what Oliver NEEDS and deviating from the schedule could impact everyone's sleep.    That's what I have to do. 

Marlow has been refusing her pm nap and having issues with going to bed for naps or bed.    I think mostly its because she is really OT because she's been refusing the pm nap but she's very clingy.   I think I'm going to the one nap a day schedule and see how she does.    This is so stressful.

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #437 on: June 26, 2010, 13:30:09 pm »
Have you thought of writing the schedule down and imploring how really important it is to stick to the schedule?
This is what I do, he had times for everything. You most probably are right, but we don't stick to exact times with DS anyway, he seems to be generally ok if we're sort of 30 mins out or whatever, tend to play it by how he is - there have been periods where we have needed to be spot on with it or it's completely out but havent had to for a long time. A prime example is Friday when he was with my sister, nap time was nearly an hour later than usual because she had taken them out and she had no problems settling him and he slept perfectly for the 3 hours (he'd also been playing outside with her DS all morning so should have been very OT!). I'm sure it has something to do with DH, DS just doesn't seem to do things in the same way as he does with me - he eats so much more if I'm feeding than if DH is, for example. I think he might see DH as more for play! Although, he does have a very active role in his life, he often does bathtime, bedtime, always doing nappies, etc - I am with DS more than him but when he's home he certainly does his fair share, however he is not usually home for many of DS's mealtimes....and naps i guess.

DH is 'kind of' with BW, he saw the huge change when I first discovered it and is mainly on board with it, but he does have a habbit of doing what suits him, he can sometimes be a bit selfish - like putting DS down for a nap far too early because he has something he wants to do (apparently he looks tired...??!) and he wont listen to me with things like snack time - I know that if DS has the tiniest bit of food too close to a mealtime then he will not touch his food because he's not hungry, he's a good eater but only if he's hungry, if he's not then he cant be bothered with food and wants to get on with something else.

Sorry, this has turned into a bit of a DH rant.....!!!  ;) 
Catherine x

Offline nelliestar

• Showing Appreciation 7
  • Growing Up
« Reply #438 on: June 26, 2010, 19:13:00 pm »
Rant away! Sounds like one of my rants anyway!!

Thanks for the answers about nap length - think I will cap it at 2hrs 30 then - sort of doing that anyway.

Hugs,

Nell xxxx
Bram Robert Reilly Con Fitzsimmons...Born 22/12/08
Angel/textbook....now with added spirit!
Our Happy Little Monkey xxxxx

Offline momtonb&ab

• Showing Appreciation 234
« Reply #439 on: June 28, 2010, 20:02:54 pm »
just locking this thread as we have hit 30 pages.  

please pop over to http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=173945.0 to carry on your discussion(s)!  :)