Author Topic: Auto-touring 10 hr trip, any advice?  (Read 1578 times)

Offline koe2moe

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« on: June 20, 2010, 18:45:57 pm »
Just wondering if anyone has done auto trip with an 18mo toddler.  There are people we really want to visit and they are at about 10hr-drive away.  Has anyone done this?  What's the best way to plan this?  Do 2 hr everyday?  Do a stretch of 4-5 hr on the first night and stay somewhere for 2 nights, then do another 2 hr stretch during DS' nap and then the rest in one go? 

I really hope to be able to go, just can't really plan clearly as i'm so OT.  Any experience to share will be appreciated.

TIA
Koe :*

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 19:07:59 pm »
Following along with this....DH is really pushing me to make the drive to England in July rather than flying.   It is more like 14 hours but I am really against it with DS.  I think it will be a nightmare, and am trying to figure out what the logistics of it would be - how many hours to drive, and so on.  He will be 23 months, so more or less the same age.

Can you fly to where you are going Koe?

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Re: Auto-touring 10 hr trip, any advice?
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 19:35:32 pm »
We have done several road trips with our kids; first one was when dd was 13 months old.  :) 

something important to remember:  even if you can make the trip in 10 hrs as adults, it will take much longer with kids.  if you have a bed already made at the other end, you can do a 10-hr trip in one day.  if you don't, i'd take 2 days, traveling about 7 hrs/day. 

two big keys for us have been stopping every 2-3 hours to stretch our legs/use the bathroom and packing LOTS of snacks & toys to play with in the car.  we do have a DVD player for in the car, but it only comes out in late afternoon/early evening.

this, and a lot more, are all outlined here:  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=127529.0
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 20:46:43 pm »
Mashi, we could only get as close to 1.5 h away and we really would need to have a car at the destination.  It's in the middle of nowhere.  Plus we can pack as much as possible and not worrying about weight and lugging (my back still isn't the best in the world).  And ideally we can take a round trip and see more different places.  Or do day trips from our friend's place.  So it's not impossible to fly but not ideal.  Just want to check our options.

Jaime, thanks so much.    :*  I initially thought perhaps 2-3h per day just do 3 days... but then... being stuck in a car is no fun even for us and all the packing and unpacking each night is just exhausting.  perhaps 2 longer days and then the rest taking it easy might work. 

I haven't seen that thread.  Thanks.  Will read it through :)

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 07:05:14 am »
Could you fly and rent a car when you arrive? Might be easier and cheaper (when you work out the cost of petrol!)

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 07:45:05 am »
need to research on that one.  just not fond of flying with so much stuff at all even though it's a short flight as opposed to 11h long haul :P  and we want to stop by Düsseldorf on the way back also hehe