Author Topic: Need help figuring out 5 mini meals vs 3 meals/2snack  (Read 566 times)

Offline PeepersMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Need help figuring out 5 mini meals vs 3 meals/2snack
« on: June 30, 2006, 18:27:26 pm »
Ok -this may sound so silly, but for some reason I can't seem to do this.  I have been really trying to do 5 mini meals vs 3 meals and 2 snacks for my son.  He really needs something pretty substantial to hold him between meals.  I notice if he only has a snack - like some applesauce and milk at snack time he is really hungry and can't make it to dinner with out crying.  So my doctor had suggested a while ago (before this was an issue) that we feed 5 mini meals when I told him he was eating 3 meals and 2 snacks.  Now I guess I see what he means.

This is an ideal eating day for us NOW:

7 am sippy milk usually about 4 oz
8am oatmeal mixed w/milk and applesauce and 1 piece toast with all-fruit jelly (eats most of this)
       top off w/a little milk.  Just a few sips usually
1030 milk - usually only takes 2 ounces,1/2 cup of peaches
1230 grilled cheese (2 pieces bread, 1 piece cheese) eats most of it and usually a small amount of diced veggies and more fruit, offer more milk
330 milk - (starts to really drink it down now) 4oz, 1/2 cereal bar
530 (if we can make it that far) tablespoon or more chicken bits, veggie dices, mased potato, yo-baby yogurt
630 8oz of milk

So you can see he is very hungry in the late afternoon.  I think this may be a hang over from the cluster feeding days of infancy......I would like to even it out a bit, unless this is the norm??

I feel like I am always forcing my eating habits on him and if it doesn't work for him I should adjust?  Or expect him to?

thank you!!

Meg
Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

andibig

Re: Need help figuring out 5 mini meals vs 3 meals/2snack
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 19:00:50 pm »
i think if he is generally happy on 5 mini meals then its working. i don't think (IMO) theres any right or wrong. some babies like my DD prefer 3 big meals a day (sometimes with snacks in between) and some babies prefer to eat sml meals more often. i don't think you are forcing anything its all trial and error this eating stuff!!!!