Author Topic: Any suggestions for 4 MO touchy baby?  (Read 747 times)

Offline fran79

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: August 12, 2013, 13:02:20 pm »
Hi. My DS is 16 weeks (DC3) and I'm really feeling at a loss how to handle him. He was an angel for the first 6 weeks and gradually has gone to pot after this. He is a 45 min napper, as were both my daughters, which I'm sure is developmental, but I can only get him to have 1 or 2 if I'm lucky in his crib. After this he just screams or lies staring vacantly for ages witthout sleeping. I'm guessing from experience that he is OT by this point but he has such short A times anyway I don't know how to fix it. Both daughters had very low A times too and only went 2-1 on naps at 22 months. The only AP'ing he responds to is the sling which is getting increasingly difficult as he gets havier and more aware with a 1 and 3 year old to care for too. Nights aren't great either which I'm guessing is a result of the days. He self settles fine at about 7ish as long as I can AP a little nap before hand in the sling. He often makes it to 11-12 then wakes every 1-2 hrs. Feeds about 3 of these, sometimes self settles after up to 45 min grumbling. as a result he usually wakes up tired and so the cycle continues. I know this is a difficult age for routine but sure the other 2 were getting slightly easier by now and he is just getting worse. It's making life so hard as I'm so tired and stressed and then feel guilty about the other 2.
Todays EASY so far (varies day to day!!). Feeds are bottle in day as he was so fussy at breast and breast at night at the moment. We are treating him for reflux in the hope it might help as both daughters definitely had it. On max dose ranitidine.

Awake 7.30 (up in night at 11.45- settled, 12.15 -fed, 2.20-settled after 30 mins, 3.30- fed, 5.30-fed- awake until 6.15 then dropped back off until 7.30)

E 8am- 3oz (rare ffor him, usually not hungry due to night feeds).

S 8.40-9.25- settled self no fuss in crib, bright eyed when woke up but quickly tired signs)

Tried nap 10.20 but just cried then stared into space

E 11am 3 1/12 oz

Persisted trying nap, finally slept 11.30-12.15 (expected short oT nap?? he definitely seemed OT)

Got up as no hope of extending but looked tired after 15 mins, put in sling as couldn't face another trial upstairs and fell asleep 1.10 almost instantly.

and then the day really goes to pot and have to just do what I can to get a bit of sleep into him, no hope of settling him upstairs again.

His personality seems quite placcid when not tired. I'm just not sure where I'm going wrong and whether I just need to wait it out and hope things improve with age or whether there is something glaringly obvious I'm missing. I have tried extending the first A time but this just means I can't even settle him upstairs for any naps and he ends up in sling all day as only way of calming him down. It's so frustrating as I know that he can self settle for naps if I get timing just right and for bedtime.

Sorry for long post but I just feel a bit lost and can't see any light at end of tunnel. Any suggestions appreciated!!

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: Any suggestions for 4 MO touchy baby?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 19:50:01 pm »
Hun, his A times are way way too short for his age. He should be doing around 1:45-2h A time by now: Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!
Not giving enough A time can cause NW that hard to settle, short naps and hard to be put down for naps and BT. It could be that he ends up at the end of the day OT because of not enough day sleep but he sure does start the day UT. I would work on increasing his A times by 10-15min every 3-4 days. We increase the A times gradually to prevent him from getting OT and to give him enough time to get used to his new A, but it's really important to be consistent with the A times during the time you are tweaking them.
Good luck!
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline fran79

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 08:35:04 am »
Ok thanks, I will give it a try and see how he gets in. I get so nervous about him getting ot. Should I ignore sleepy signs at 30/40 mins? How long would you suggest as an a time after 45 min nap? Thanks so much fir reading my long post!

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 18:13:09 pm »
Yes, I would ignore those cues, because there is no way he is tired after 30min A time at this age. One can confuse sleepy cues with bored cues easily, maybe a change of scenery will help when you notice those sleepy cues?
What are A times and how do they fit into the EASY plan? - This will answer your question what to do after a short nap.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/