Author Topic: accidental parenting -help me out!  (Read 1108 times)

Offline M&M's Ima

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
accidental parenting -help me out!
« on: November 19, 2005, 21:09:32 pm »
(I'm re-posting this, cuz I didn't get any replies. ':('

Major accidental parenting!

I don't know what to do anymore. I can try for 2 hrs and he just wont settle! ':x'
and i ve ttly abandond my toddler ':cry:'

Nothing seems to help anymore. He's becoming harder and harder to deal with. Wakes up just wanting to be put back to sleep, so that's what I'm doing (or just holding him to pacify him) all day. My shoulders are so sore, and my big DS is starting to get jealous.
I heard that 6 weeks is the hardest and it gets easier from there -ie, they learn how to fall asleep. is this true? ':)'

I've resorted to nursing him to sleep, but the past few days he wakes up as soon as I take it out of his mouth, no matter how long i've been there with him. now he's fallen asleep swaddled in a baby seat and I'm giong to have to take him out to pick up his brother in twenty minutes...
Thank G-d he sleeps at night! (Lately in bed with me, but at least it's all night.)
would greatly appreciate advice and feedback!!
thanks
My boys:
Angel four year old
Spirited two year old
Very Sleepy Baby

Offline Maddy's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
    • The Family Website
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 03:22:21 am »
Hi there,

Well they hit a growth spurt at 6 weeks which can throw off the best routine in the world - so fear not, things will get better - honest  :D

Is he swaddled at all? Are you finding he is feeding more or is he just suckling for comfort? Does he have a dummy? Are there any signs of reflux?

Hang on in there and we will sort you out a plan!

Dee
x

Offline M&M's Ima

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 08:53:48 am »
He was swaddled, and it worked great at the beginning, then nothing worked, and DH said swaddle interferred with calming him down on his shoulder, and I must have used a blanket that didn't tighten, and I gave up. Now he's swaddled again.
Won't take a pacifier, and I don't think there's anything wrong with him - what would be signs of reflux?
We didn't have a routine ever, since it takes so long to fall asleep, and is dependent on so many variables (my Touchy lo) so I don't know for sure, but I don't think he's nursing more than usual, but yes likes to mommy-paci. and it wasn't a sudden thing, but more a downwards slope over about two weeks.
thanks for your help!
My boys:
Angel four year old
Spirited two year old
Very Sleepy Baby

Offline M&M's Ima

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 09:58:38 am »
:shock:

Two great naps this morning! What happened?
He slept from 7:30-9:15, with not much falling asleep difficulty. (not exactly shh-pat, nor did he actually fall asleep in his crib, but we'll get there...)
and 10:30-still sleeping and it's 12. Fell asleep on my shoulder, opened eyes when went into crib, and I put my hand on his back (shh-pat a little too stimulating I think) and he's asleep. Swaddled. :wink:

I want to know what happened so it'll happen again!
My boys:
Angel four year old
Spirited two year old
Very Sleepy Baby

Offline M&M's Ima

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 10:03:12 am »
Oh - one more thing.
He usually falls asleep on a shoulder (mine, or DH's). then we put him in his crib right away, so he wakes up a little (opens his eyes.) Sometimes he can't settle again, and we pick him up til his eyes are closed and put him back in. It usually takes about three times. (That's actually DH's version. On me, he doesn't settle back down very well. Is it cuz he expects me to nurse him?)
Today it took three times the first nap, and once the second.

Could this be considered a modified shh-pat which I will soon (when he's sleeping better and I'm more up for it) turn into falling asleep in crib?

Or is this just more accidental parenting?
My boys:
Angel four year old
Spirited two year old
Very Sleepy Baby