Author Topic: exclusively pumping and bottle feeding  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Kellyshe

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: January 06, 2013, 06:57:15 am »
I EBF my DD.  we have resorted to exclusively pumping the past few days because we are having some weight gain issues due to reflux/food intolerances (currently on the ED), and who knows if there is an oversupply issue thrown in.

Tonight is the first night in WEEKS that she STTN (ate at 7, next feed at or after 1!).

So I'm pumping as I type this.  My question is now that she did a longer stint, do I give her what I pump at the next feeding as that is typically how Ive been doing this.  I'm usually getting about 3.75-5oz (most of the time it's 4oz) per pump session.  I've been pumping 7 times a day at roughly 3-4 hourly.  I'm guesstimating I'll get up to 8 oz in this pump session so do I give her all 8 oz?!  Or do I give say 5 and spread the other 3oz over the next few bottles? Giving 8oz to a 14.5week old seems like a lot.

Sorry if this seems like a silly question.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 07:04:25 am by Kellyshe »

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
Re: exclusively pumping and bottle feeding
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 14:20:56 pm »
Nope, not a silly question at all! When I was pumping I would freeze the excess to build a stash - so if I pumped 8oz I would give Dylan 5oz and freeze the other 3oz. I would often get 5-9oz at a pumping session (I was very lucky! And pumped from just a couple days old so probably had oversupply) so his bottles were always 5oz and I had a stash built up if I missed a pumping session or only had time for a quick pump.

Hth! :)
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline Kellyshe

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 17:38:38 pm »
Thank you!  It does help.  Next question....how do I know when to stop pumping?  After I get the desired oz?

Offline brownc623

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 18:49:48 pm »
Agree with PP, Freeze the excess. Overfeeding a refluxer will make it worse (I'm guessing you know this though as your comment of a possible oversupply issue)

I have a friend who is a Lactation Consultant, she advised me to pump 15 min. I usually get most of the milk within the first 10 min, but the additional 5 min is for nipple stimulation to ensure that I don't loose supply. My situation is a little different as I'm pumping extra for another baby so I have a deliberate oversupply, but I think that the 15 min rule would still apply.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 18:57:54 pm »
This http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/#calculator might help you gauge how much to offer in each bottle.  As PPs have said, you can freeze the rest.
*** Amanda ***

Offline Kellyshe

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 20:37:00 pm »
I used to pump for 15 minutes as I would get out 4 pounced no problem.  I devices to go a little linger just to keep supply up, etc.  I'm pumping now (again) and it seems to take me 30 minutes just to get the 4 oz.  should I be concerned?  I used to drink the mothers milk tea but it upset my stomach and I didn't want to upset LIs tummy any more.  I've seated away for oatmeal only because done of it is packaged in a facility that also has soy.

Did I now train my body to have ket downs so far apart?  Any suggestions?

Also, she is approaching 4 months.  How do I know if she hits a growth spurt if I'm giving her a bottle and how do I get more milk?  Power pump?  If so, should I start now?

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 21:15:42 pm »
You might find this helpful (or at least informative) - http://kellymom.com/pregnancy/bf-prep/milkproduction/ - it explains how the way the body produces milk changes towards the 4m mark.  It's really common for mums to notice a decrease in output, particularly when pumping, at this stage
*** Amanda ***

Offline brownc623

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 21:26:06 pm »
Quote (selected)
Iused to pump for 15 minutes as I would get out 4 pounced no problem. Idevices to go alittle linger just to keep supply up, etc. I'm pumping now (again) and it seems to take me 30 minutes just to get the 4 oz. should I be concerned? I used to drink the mothers milk tea but it upset my stomach and Ididn't want to upset LIs tummy any more. I've seated away for oatmeal only because done of it is packaged in a facility that also has soy.

Did I now train my body to have ket downs so far apart? Any suggestions?

I suspect this is because at 4 months you have a decrease in hormones.  I had the same happen.

If you need to increase your supply you'll need to pump more often for three to five days in a row. What worked for me was to keep up the same pumping schedule,  except to add a pumping in 1 hour after my normal time.  So for me I pumped 7, 11, 3, and 7 normally, so when I'm increasing I will pump at 7,8,11,12,3,4,7,8 for 3 to 5 days. It's a lot of work, but it works well and fast.

One tip for us gals pumping so much is to have more than 1 set of pumping gear so that you don't have to wash them immediately. I have three sets so I don't wash in the middle of the night,  I just grab a clean set and pump then go back to sleep. Then wash all three sets at once.

Offline Kellyshe

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 23:54:38 pm »
Thank you for replying to this!  I definitely want to add the extra hour pumping in.  Dud you just pump for 15 minutes or on and off for 10 minutes during that hour?  It may be a bit tricky for me to do this at work, unfortunately but I can see what happens.  My boss is pretty cool.

I may be able to do it this upcoming Friday through Sunday.

Once I produce more milk, do I just offer her more in the bottle and see if she drinks it? 

Thanks again for helping me!!!!

And yes, I need more gear so I'm not washing as much.  What about the refrigerator trick that I've read about? 

Offline brownc623

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 02:04:52 am »
Quote (selected)
Dud you just pump for 15 minutes or on and off for 10 minutes during that hour?
Just 1 extra pumping per feeding (so 2x as many pumpings as you would normally do in a day). If you can't do it during your whole day because you're at work you can do it just after you get home, it will take longer to increase your supply but it will still help. Milk supply is all about supply and demand, as long as you consistently demand more milk your body will begin to supply it.

Quote (selected)
Once I produce more milk, do I just offer her more in the bottle and see if she drinks it?
The truth is I'm no expert, and I know you're pumping to avoid issues with reflux/food intolerance that can be aggravated by overfeeding. But imo since she's having weight gain issues I probably would try to get her to take it, and see what happened. At worst it might upset her but even that would give you some clues as to where to look next regarding her medical issue.

Quote (selected)
What about the refrigerator trick that I've read about?
The refrigerator trick works as long as your milk isn't too sticky. When my milk dries on the membrane it makes it stick so my pump has less suction and then I get less per pumping. I know of people who use that trick successfully though, so definitely give it a try! Do make sure that you put the parts in a ziploc bag, as that will cut the likelihood of sticky milk problems.  Also make sure your milk stays fresh don't pump fresh warm milk into the same jar that has your cold milk from earlier in it. (I didn't realize this last point until I read it on the Medela website under their breastmilk storage guidelines.)

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 03:13:41 am »
Just agreeing with pp :)

Our bodies get 'smarter' as breast feeding progresses - we don't receive the same stimulation from a pump that we do from our los, so pumping output does begin to decrease. Definitely agree with pumping more frequently, as much as you are able. Keep in mind that there is a huge growth spurt at 4mo, so your lo may want to feed more frequently a well!

What I would do is offer your standard amount in a bottle and if she drains it you can always offer another oz or two. I would also consider offering feeds more frequently (especially during growth spurt) rather than trying to offer more per feed... If over feeding aggravates he symptoms more frequent feeds would give her additional calories without that risk. (And I mean every 3h vs. every 4h, kwim?)
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!