Author Topic: How to wean TV  (Read 1347 times)

Offline JayLeigh

• Roman & Quinn's mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • remember when...
How to wean TV
« on: July 22, 2010, 16:05:45 pm »
DS is going on 16 months, and is starting to really love TV. I used to be worse, but we have gotten TV cut down to 1.5-2hrs per day. Not great I know. Well recently all FOUR of his canines have begun to come in, and nothing soothes him like a bottle and cartoons. When the TV is off he starts to get realyl restless and whiny, and it all stops when TV comes on.  But it is so sad to me because he stands in front of, transfixed to the TV.  How can I get him unhooked? Is it too late?

I don't always have a car so keeping he busy is often difficult. We have time with blocks (15 minutes tops), craft time (markers and coloring book) while I clean/cook (20 minutes tops). Play outside, in baby pool which he has grown tired of. I even let him play in our broken down car, which he LOVES because he can press buttons and knobs. It is just sooooooooooo hard to keep him occupied, and sooooooooooo easy to turn on the TV

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline RyansMum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
  • Minecraft mad!
Re: How to wean TV
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 16:28:21 pm »
I don't think the time is too bad to be honest. You are rationing it so thats good.  Can you get on a bus to take him out to groups in your local area?  Or can you hook up with another Mum for a play date?

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
Re: How to wean TV
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 16:59:44 pm »
I've had to put my foot down about this recently.

DS loves the Something Special programmes and a nursery rhyme DVD done by the same bloke.  He likes a couple of the cbeebies programmes too.  And would quite happily watch them ALL day.  I found that we had it on more and more during the day and a couple of months ago when he cried because I said he couldn't have a particular DVD on because we were going out, I decided enough was enough!

Now, he watches an hour or so in the morning (depending on what time he wakes up and how tired I still am lol) in our bed and then an hour or so after his dinner (although if it's nice we'll play outside and he'll watch a little bit while he has his bottle).  I prefer him to watch his Something Special DVD because it teaches them different signs.

He 'helps' me quite a lot - pulls a chair up to the counter and I let him do the safe things to help with dinner, he'll help me do the dishwasher or washing up (with lots of towels under the sink!), we water the garden, he hoovers with me, do crafty stuff, blocks, cars, trains, go for walks etc...  The biggest change has been how much he enjoys helping me with the things I just used to get on with before while the TV was on. 

I second pp are there any buses or any groups in walking distance?  I find it so much harder to keep DS amused if we're stuck in for the WHOLE day - a walk to the shop or even a quick walk round the block helps to split the day up too.