Author Topic: How do I pump more milk?  (Read 936 times)

Offline Moongrinner

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: May 27, 2006, 16:01:08 pm »
Greetings all!  ;D

I am a Momma of a 5 month old and I have been back to work for awhile now (Wed-Sat 4 hours each day). I pump while I'm away and before now there has never been an issue about pumping enough milk. Last week I started a second night job waitressing and usually don't have time to pump during my shift. I have noticed this week that I am having a really hard time pumping enough milk for my daughter, especially on days when I work both jobs. I know stress and lack of sleep reduces milk flow and I know I'm away from her more  :'( . I notice on my days off I pump much more milk and she tends to sleep through the night, but on working days no dice. No matter the circumstances she always seems to get plenty of milk when I breastfeed her. Always.

I have tried massaging and repositioning the breastshield and it helps a little. It is frustrating because this morning I couldn't pump anymore milk from my right breast while I was feeding her from the left breast before going off to work, and so I massaged and tried again, no dice. I took the shield off my r.breast and squeezed and wa-la, I squirted milk.  What is going on here? I have a Medela Pump in style advanced breastpump.

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: How do I pump more milk?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 18:35:59 pm »
Moongrinner,
Would it be possible tp pump more often on your days off? 
Here is a site that might be useful as well.

http://www.pumpingmoms.org/

~Rachel

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 12:35:34 pm »
Make sure you are hydrated!  That is a huge milk crusher.  I know when I waitressed I was always parched at the end of my shift.  Also, you need lots of rest (easier said then done).  There are certain teas you can drink and herbs you can take to up your supply as well.

Don't quit just yet, dry pumping helps encourage more milk, even if you can't get anything out.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline Moongrinner

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 16:29:49 pm »
Thanks!

I think I figured out what was going on. Missing that nightly feeding and not being able to pump I think made my body switch gears because I got my moon (period) again with the new moon for the first time since my daughters birth, and sinnce then I have been able to pump much more milk and as my moon is leaving. Maybe it was hormonal. I wonder if this will happen every moon? I wonder if I will pump more milk when I ovulate because of increased hormone levels? Hmmmm....if this is the case then I can definitley plan for the less productive milk periods.

Have you ladies had any experience with this?

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 11:28:28 am »
It is typical for milk to dip around and during your period.  Sometimes babies even notice a difference in taste and may even nurse less.  But it's all natural so don't stress it.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)