Author Topic: Aargh! What is his problem?!!  (Read 2523 times)

Offline MackMum

• Our little family
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Aargh! What is his problem?!!
« on: June 01, 2006, 21:33:27 pm »
Hi, am really hoping some of you may be able to shed some light on my LO's recent feeding issues. First a bit of background:
DS was 9lb13 when born and is now 7 weeks- and is just over 12lb now. He's on a 3hr easy. He's always been a very good eater- gulps it down between 10 and 25mins at the most. He has also been a bit of a fidgety eater-likes to bob on and off, but that was usually related to him concentrating on filling his pants, once back on, he'd continue eating happily.

However - in the past couple of weeks we've had the occasional feed where he'd be quite fussy/grizzly-just while I was feeding him, and would be fine once the feed was over and we moved on to changing his nappy or even just walking round with him propped on my shoulder. But the past 2 days, and now today as well, he has done this at pretty much every feed (except the 2 middle of the night ones- he only takes about 25ml during his dreamfeed). His pattern is this:
He drinks fast for about the first 3-5mins, and then starts pulling off (while still keeping suction - ouch :o ) , makes a little fuss and then looks for the nipple again with mouth open - but the moment he latches on again and does a suck or two, he pulls off again fussing and we do this over and over with frequent burping in case that's the problem, and he gets more and more fussy/grizzly until I give up and put him on my shoulder and the total amount of time he's had drinking is only about 5-10mins max.
I can often still hear a swallow or two so there is still milk there,
I've tried leaning forward in case the flow is too slow,
I've tried leaning back in case the flow is too fast (this occasionally seems to work for a minute or so)
My supply does vary a bit as the day wears on - definitely gets less so that we need two boobs instead of just one. But he fusses just as much for the morning feed when I've got stacks, as he does at his 7pm feed.
He always stops fussing as soon as the feed is over so I don't think it's wind or gas or you'd think it'd keep bothering him - and he doesn't look or sound like he's in pain when he's grizzling/fussing, more like frustrated.
I also haven't changed my diet at all so I don't think it can be the taste - he drinks fine to start with anyway.

What do you think it is  ??? ?? He doesn't seem to do this at night when he wakes me for his feeds (every 3-5hrs), just drinks for 8-12 mins or so and then goes to sleep. He hasn't been sleeping any less at night since this behaviour began.

Even though he's opening his mouth like he wants a bit more, he's not acting overly hungry- am I trying to feed him too often??

On monday and half of tuesday I gave him some intensive bottle training (expressed almomst every daytime feed and fed by bottle) cos at about 6weeks he'd suddenly showed resistance to the bottle (which we'd only bothered trying on him once or twice a week before and he'd been fine)-  But he showed similar fussing then as well - after the initial few minutes of gutsing (40-70ml), he'd need a burp and then start fussing and refusing anymore. He did start taking more by bottle happily by the end of the day - but would still fuss towards the end of the feed - the most I'd got into him was 125ml. If he hadn't been doing similar fussing on the bottle then I'd be suspicious that he was showing a preference fo rthe bottle over my breast -but he seems to behave similarly on both. Am I trying to feed him too much???  ???

All I know is that my nipples are getting one helluva thrashing! And he's a very strong little boy- I hate having to struggle with his thrashing about and scratching my boobs!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 21:55:06 pm by MackMum »
Anna

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: Aargh! What is his problem?!!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 21:49:11 pm »
My thought is that he only needs 5-10 minutes of feed time.  He sounds like my girls... a super sucker.  At this age you don't want to go more than 3 hours between feeds.  I would try letting him take the lead and stop when he pulls off.

HTH, let us know how it goes

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Petunia

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 22:16:03 pm »
Maybe you'll find some helpful information in this article about babies fussing at the breast:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/fussy-while-nursing.html

Offline MackMum

• Our little family
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 08:28:23 am »
Thanks heaps for the advice - the articles on Kellymom were excellent. I have a feeling that some of his fussing is related to trying to fill his nappy, while the fussing towards the end of the day is related to his being impatient for a faster flow of milk after the initial letdown. His latchon is not great - doesn't help that he pulls/pulls off all the time (probably trying to elicit a faster flow) and so even if I get him latched on properly to start with, he adjusts his 'grip' within a few sucks to one that is less ideal - I can still hear he;s swallowing, and his weight gain is good, but I guess it's probably reducing his effectiveness at getting the milk out. Well, we've stuck it out for 7 weeks with sore nipples, so what's a few more eh! I visited our local nurse who is a bit of a breastfeeding consultant, but of course he fed pretty well for that one, with none of his usual fussing  ::). Think I'll have to try and visit her on a regular basis till we get this latchon sorted - and hopefully that'll help stop him getting so impatient with the flow... meantime I'll have to try the breast compression techniques to speed the flow..
Thanks again
Anna

Offline Joanne

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 10:33:06 am »
HI Ben's mum  :)
Reading what you wrote I was nodding my head and thinking it sounds just like my dd. To cut a long story short, when Emily started fussing around 4 weeks old I tried everything - maybe it was food I was eating, my flow too fast, my flow too slow, not enough milk, too much milk - everyone told me something different. AGHHHHH! I finally went to a lactation consultant which was great! I fed my dd in front of her and explained exactly what she had been doing (because just like you when i fed for the lactation consultant Emily was the perfect little angel ::)! Any way the advice she told me was feed her one side. As soon as she starts to fuss - stop! Offer the other side. As soon as she starts to fuss - stop feeds over. I said I was worried that she wouldn't be getting enough, sometimes a feed might be totally over within five minutes. The LC assured me that Emily would take what she needs and is just a really efficient feeder. She also suggested instead of doing the Sleep, Eat, Awake, Sleep routine I could do Sleep, Eat, Awake, Eat, Sleep if I wanted. The main thing she said was relax, don't stress and let Emily lead. I am happy to say Emily is now seven and a half months and breast feeding is going great. Sometimes she still feeds for less than five minutes, very rarely does it take longer than ten minutes to feed her. I just see this as an advantage now  ;)

Any way, best of luck. I can certainly sympathise with the frustration you are feeling.

kind Regards
Jo  :)
PS Didn't really cut a long story short all that well did I  :D
Proud Mummy to
Ryley 1.4.03 and Emily 17.10.05

Offline Joanne

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 10:41:52 am »
Hi again
Sorry i just remembered one more thing the lactation consultant told me. I said how after the few minutes of sucking my dd pulls off (while still sucking on the nipple - yes ouch like you said!) and then starts to fuss, looking for the breast, attaching then pulling off again over and over. The LC said that this can be because that's what they enjoy doing - mouthing for the breast, they do it instinctively and will continue to do it whilst the breast is there, so it just seems like they are still looking for milk but you know they are not when they pull off again straight away.

Jo  :)
Proud Mummy to

Offline melulla

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 20:00:23 pm »
Hi MackMum,
You could be talking about my lo!!!!. His bobbing on and off reached a peak last week and my nipples were rough!. I think a growth spurt was the cause of it and i hav found that since then that swopping sides as soon as he starts the pulling etc will calm him. I find if he has had enough he wont take the other side and so then i finish the feed. I notice too that he goes crazier in the pm. HTH
Melulla
x

Offline MackMum

• Our little family
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 21:50:28 pm »
 ;D Aaaah! You guys are fantastic - I'm just so pleased to have found this site! so much help and support it's awesome
Anna

Offline shannon S

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 02:44:53 am »
boy do I remember those days with dd.  I bf until she was 5 months. for the first few months she would feed 5 minutes at a time, EXACTLY. And since she only fed 5 minutes I thought she was always hungry and fed her every two hours.  Of course I hadn't read bw and didn't have her on a routine. I remember she used to choke and sputter and stop after 5 minutes (milk flow was fast) and she was so gassy all the time I kept wondering why I was putting her through that.  Of course it was worth it.
Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Hope you are doing well now.

Offline Nay - Mateo's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 22
  • Spirited Angel...Ontario, Canada
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 04:18:58 am »
Hey Ben's mom!

My little monkey was the exact same way! My issue(s) came up during growth spurts, and once he started sleeping through the night. I still had milk, but the "speed" of the letdown was different.

So I too was advised to switch sides when he got crazy, and to keep doing that until he no longer took the breast when offered. I would end up switching sides about 3 or 4 times. I also started to take (and still do) Fenugreek (to increase milk supply, esp. at night) and Blessed Thistle (to help with faster letdowns). This helped me.

Good luck,
Nay

Offline MackMum

• Our little family
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 23:29:02 pm »
Thanks for the advice- I'll look out for the blessed thistle.

So for the past 2-3 days I've been giving him one side till he starts bobbing off (usually about 5mins), then the other side and when he starts bobbing off there we finish the feed. And what do you know? - no more fussing! I was quite worried that he'd only be getting the foremilk, but I think he's actually really good and hoovering a lot of milk out in those few minutes cos when I've tried to pump after there isn't a huge amount left in that first boob. And he doesn't seem particularly hungry by the time his next feed comes so I think he's getting what he needs.

And, for the past 3 nights he's done big long stretches of sleep, instead of his previous 4-5hrs max - I stopped bothering with the dreamfeed cos he never took more than 20-30ml, and the first two nights he slept from 7:30pm till 3am, 7.5hrs!! and then last night he slept through till 4:30am, 9hrs :o!!! Unfortunately I've had rough nights sleep cos I wake up with big achey boobs  ::) so the supply certainly isn't a propblem - well, it's oversupply at nighttime!! And presumably he wouldn't be able to do such long stretches of sleep if he wasn't getting enough milk with these short feeds.

Am so hoping these long stretches of sleep will continue, and that my overnight supply settles down so I can make the most of it too
Anna

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 23:34:54 pm »
Yay!  ;D  What wonderful progress  ;D

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Jahmum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Jah-Jah
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 03:06:40 am »
My little one is 41/2 months now and I wish had known about the site sooner  :-\ The pulling on and off and having problems latching sounds all too familiar. I really did not know what i was doing and the nurses in the beginning were of very little help. I did visit a lactation consultant and like your story my girl was a little angel with no problems for that visit. I was told to breast feed and if she was still fussing to give her a bottle. I did and she does prefer the bottle now. I still breastfeed her in the mornings and I try to pump during the day to give her in addition to the formula. In some ways I wish i hadn't given into the the bottle but I was a first time mom and always worried that she wasn't getting enough because the nurses told me that she should feed between 20-30 mins. on each breast. At best she was doing 6-8 min on one and 10-15 on the side she preferred. I felt like i was depriving her and she always willing took a bottle, sometimes even immediately after a breast feed. I just wish i had more support with breastfeeding and the knowledge that every baby feeds differently and that's okay. Well, i did what i thought was best for her and she is a healthy and thriving baby  :) If baby #2 comes along, at least i will have had this experience to learn from.
[url=http://www.snugglepie.com]

Offline Joanne

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 05:37:28 am »
Mackmum - Well done! That's great news! it will only get better from here on in! I asked the question about the foremilk too but the LC consultant assured me that she eventually gets all the milk as if she just takes the foremilk first at the next feed she gets the other milk as it all has to come out eventually! Great to hear you're doing so well!  :D

Jahmum - Don't be so hard on yourself! You have a beautiful baby. Bottle or breastfed,  like you said, she is a thriving and healthy little girl. My first was also bottle fed from very early on as I didn't get the support or have the knowledge that I get and have now. Like you said next time breastfeeding will probably go better but for now you should be proud of the great job you are doing no matter how your lo gets her milk. Just put it down to experience and you can use it next time around :)

Kind Regards Jo
Proud Mummy to

Offline avery's momma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 02:01:51 am »
so glad i landed on this post! i will try offering "pump #2" (lol :) ) as my dh refers to it.. when lo gets fussy, after a few mins of "pump #1".. ;) she is also sleeping through the night of 10-12 hrs!  :o ... just started this past week.. about the morning achey boobs.. i hear ya!! the other morning i woke up at 7 and tried to remember when she woke at night, and i realized.. SHE DIDN"T!! but then i started thinking about her and all of a sudden, i was totally SOAKED!! ;) funny funny..

Offline Jahmum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Jah-Jah
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 02:12:34 am »
Thanx Jo for the supportive words. Sometimes we moms are hard on ourselves but it's only because we want what's best for our children. Being a mom is an extraordinary job...I wouldn't trade it for the world  ;D!!!
[url=http://www.snugglepie.com]

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 15:29:18 pm »
the other morning i woke up at 7 and tried to remember when she woke at night, and i realized.. SHE DIDN"T!! but then i started thinking about her and all of a sudden, i was totally SOAKED!! ;) funny funny..

Sorry, but that is hilarious!  HAHAHAHA!!!

Oh I remember the days of being so grateful for the sleep, yet resentful of my leaky breasts that wouldn't cooperate! LOL
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)