Author Topic: 7 month old not getting enough milk and low weight gain  (Read 3546 times)

Offline Regina Phalange

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: 7 month old not getting enough milk and low weight gain
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 02:22:35 am »
Thanks Lewa! I have started occasionally doing 3 sides per feeding, but maybe I will do that more consistently.
I have also moved the solid meal to right after nursing, along with greatly limiting the amount of solids, and then a top up nurse immediately, or very soon after. It does seem to be making a difference.
We still aren't where we should be, but I think we are moving in the right direction.
Unfortunately, now that he has his 4 front teeth, and I think he's teething again, he started a new thing today where he bites near the end of the feeding when it slows down. Frustrating because I'd like to keep him on as long as possible to try and stimulate more production. Hopefully this doesn't become a habit!

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 11:39:06 am »
If you can pre-empt the biting, you could try breast compressions to keep him interested before he gets annoyed with the slower flow.
*** Amanda ***

Offline Regina Phalange

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 18:16:07 pm »
Thanks Fiver. I will work on that  :)
Is there any chance this is a developmental thing, and he will regain his interest and patience eventually? Nursing 10+ times a day makes it pretty difficult to get anything else done. Obviously I'll do whatever he needs me to do, but I'm curious...

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 19:29:24 pm »
Possibly, possibly not, it's hard to tell and each child is an individual, so what happened for one may not for another.  Have we already talked about physical developmental milestones with regard to weight gain?  As LOs start moving about more (rolling, crawling etc), they have a habit of not putting on so much weight so quickly as they're burning off the calories more quickly.  Just thinking that could be another contributing factor.
*** Amanda ***

Offline Regina Phalange

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 20:53:59 pm »
Yes, I have heard that before. If it wasn't for the fact that wet diapers are low (some days better than others), I wouldn't be concerned at all. I've been weighing his diapers to see if we are making any progress with the cluster feeding and fenugreek. I see a slight increase, but not as much as I expected. We're at the very very low end of the minimum amount.
I keep hearing that babies self regulate. Is it possible that he just needs less than most?? We're cluster feeding all day, added a night feeding, I've cut solids to an extremely minimal amount, and I'm taking fenugreek, and I've barely noticed a change at all.

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 21:33:02 pm »
I guess it's possible that he just doesn't urinate much, but I'm not a medical professional, so can't say for sure :-\
*** Amanda ***

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 22:05:40 pm »
I would just forget about the nappies and trust your body to do what it was made to do   :-*
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Regina Phalange

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 02:43:30 am »
Probably a good idea. Stressing about it isn't doing much good. Thanks for the reminder.
We see the doctor again in the beginning of January, so maybe we'll just see where we are by then and what he thinks.
Thanks to everyone for all the advice and encouragement! You guys are awesome!!  ;D