Author Topic: Vomiting after BF  (Read 1849 times)

Offline karindmor

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: December 22, 2013, 17:11:43 pm »
My 1 year old son has JUST started sleeping long stretches t/o the night, though he only does it occasionally like when naps are right on point.  When he goes 8-10 hours with out food and then I feed him at 4 or 5 in the morning, he eats like he normally does (like a shark) and then vomits after like he ate too much too quickly.  I'm still trying to get used to him sleeping longer stretches, so I haven't had enough experience with this to know what to do…but I THINK I should feed him sitting more upright when I know he hasn't fed in several hours????  I think it would be difficult to slow him down in the middle of feeding.  He threw up this morning after only feeding from one side and he wanted to get down after that.  Oh, also, I feed him on his side in a rocking chair using my boppy pillow.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Vomiting after BF
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 16:33:38 pm »
How long has this been going on?  Could it be a vomiting bug? Or maybe he needs burping after a bit? 
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline karindmor

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 03:16:11 am »
It's been going on for a week. He vomited last night and tonight both before bed. He woke up a lot last night but I think it was due to overstimulation bc we went out to eat w some friends for dinner so he was around a bunch of new people. Could it be teething? He seems happy in the early part of the day, so if it was a bug wouldn't he be miserable most of the time?

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 19:29:34 pm »
Could it be something you are eating that maybe is new? Is he ok after solids then?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 21:17:38 pm »
Did he have reflux as an infant?
Heidi

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 15:08:51 pm »
Do you find you have quite a forceful letdown at that time?
*** Amanda ***

Offline karindmor

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 01:09:00 am »
Thanks for your replies!  I took him to the dr and he had a stomach bug.  I had no clue!! Now we're dealing with a whole new set of issues because the dr said to feed him frequently so he wouldn't puke, so for the last week I've been feeding him every 2 hours almost exclusively breast milk.  We just got back from visiting family for the holidays and travelled for 2 days and his sleep is horrible and he is VERY attached and clingy to me.  He was wanting to nurse for 45 min in the middle of the night, but now he's not nursing nearly as long, but he doesn't want me to leave him in his crib.  Ughhh...he just turned 1 year...could it be separation anxiety??  I saw on his gums that his 1st molars are coming in too.  You think maybe he's just feeling extra fragile and needs more comfort than usual??  Between the stomach bug, teething, and traveling, we have no EASY routine anymore.  I tried laying him down at 4.5 hours this morning because he didn't seem too tired before that and he only slept 1 hour.  He woke up from his nap at 10:30 (he woke up at 5 am this morning ughhhh...) and I tried laying him down around 230 because he was starting to act tired, but once I put on his white noise machine he started crying hard in my arms.  I decided to feed him since it was about 4 hours since I fed him last and he still isn't eating solids great.  He started falling asleep while I was feeding him, so I had to pry him off and when I laid him in his crib he started crying immediately and he doesn't always settle when I try rubbing his chest.  I tried leaving, and normally I just have to say "goodnight, I'll see you when you wake up.  I love you."  Wave and blow him a kiss and he'll cry a little bit but then he'll be fine in 5-10 min.  This is totally different.  I left him while he was crying (he started this loud schreeching sound that he does with diaper changes, sleeping, and basically anything he's not in to.  It's been going on for 1-2 weeks).  He probably cried for 30 min.  I know that's a super long time, but he was starting and stopping.  I gave him Motrin before the nap too, so I know that he wasn't in pain. 
He's a bloody mess and I don't know how to help him, but my husband is deployed and my mom leaves here in 1 day, and it's so hard to deal with this alone :(

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 11:19:52 am »
Hugs it's hard when they are so demanding. I think he's just feeling extra fragile and needs more comfort than usual as you say.  He had got into the habit of all the extra feeds and contact while sick and is expecting them now. 

As you may know BW philosophy is opposed to leaving babies to cry alone as Tracy felt it broke the bond of trust between baby and mother. Here are some links on why and how you can rebuild that trust and get back on track.
Research on why 'cry it out' and 'controlled crying' is NOT recommended!
Cry it out (CIO): 10 reasons why it is not for us
Video on CIO/CC and its effect on brain development
Regaining Trust of Your Child

Offline karindmor

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 11:45:36 am »
Thanks for the info! I know about the CIO materials but just wasn't sure about going in to his room since he was starting and stopping. The crying almost seemed like a tantrum so I thought that going to him would send the message that tantrums are ok. I've tried comforting him in the crib and he freaks out and just wants me to pick him up, which I do. So you don't think it's separation anxiety?

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 15:08:44 pm »
Tantruming is ok for a baby with no other means of communication. Crying and screaming is his only way to let you know that something is wrong and he cannot cope alone. Unresponsive parenting (CIO) is actually more likely to lead to less independence and more insecurity. I was reading this article yesterday which explains it in more detail. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/moral-landscapes/201112/dangers-crying-it-out

It could be just separation anxiety but it seems a bit of a coincidence that is has shown up just as he is sick and out of his usual routine. And if it is SA then leaving him to cry alone is only going to make things worse because he will learn that he is right to be anxious because mummy doesn't come back when he calls for her. We have a FAQ on SA but it is more for babies who are sleeping independently other than the SA. I think it might be a bit much for your LO to go straight to WIWO especially after the CIO episode. Separation Anxiety If however you do feel you can't do more right now with no support then it would be a better method than CIO so might be worth a try.

Did you have a look at the regaining trust FAQ I posted? That is the sort of route I would take to ease your LO back into independent sleep. If you would like more help with sleep or just a hand to hold then your best bet would be posting on one of the toddler sleep board such where you will get more relevant eyes on your post.  :)

Offline karindmor

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 15:25:14 pm »
I DID check that trust link out!  It all makes so much sense.  I feel bad because I guess I didn't think I was letting him CIO.  It makes sense now, but I thought he was just upset that he was in his crib and not joining the party.  He's had so many physical symptoms going on that I just assumed he was ok since I gave him Motrin, fed him, etc.  I never really considered it to be emotional until after the SA idea popped into my head yesterday, but I had already let him cry :'(  I feel a little silly that I didn't know the difference.

Thanks so much for your advice!!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 15:33:20 pm »
Hugs. It is all completely undoable so don't beat yourself up over it. :)