Author Topic: fussy eating  (Read 884 times)

Offline nathansmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • mommy & me
fussy eating
« on: March 03, 2006, 17:28:53 pm »
Hi! my son is 12 weeks old and he recently started being very fussy at feed times. He is a quick eater (which always makes me wonder if he has gotten enough or even enough hind milk....), he usually feeds 5-10 min. on one side and then 5-10 min on the other and he's done. Feed times usually took 20-30 MAX. (including burping)

Lately, he has been feeding for about 4 min. on one side then starts fussing. So I try to burp him, which makes him even more mad. If I try putting him back on he goes full out crying!  ???
So I put him on the other side. He's then happy for about another 4 min. and then same thing. So I just give up trying to offer him my breast. And then he lays there smiling at me and "talking" to me.

What's the deal?
Is he crying because not enough supply or could it be that he is not hungry anymore and hates me trying to put him back on? I'm really confused! ???

Here is an other question. I've been reading many places that he should at least be able to go 6-7 hours at night by now and that doesn't seem to be happening. Could it be related to this? I can't seem to figure out if it is feeding related or routine related...

Please help!
thanks!
Marilyn,
mom to Nathan - december 6, 2005
& Lilymae - June 20, 2008

Offline daisymelan

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
Re: fussy eating
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 17:58:45 pm »
I think many babies become  much more proficient at nursing around that age, so that may be all it is.  If your lo is still gaining weight and is happy about only being on for 8 minutes, then great!  I knwo some other mamas around here have been asking the same question.  Can you hear your lo swallowing?  Does it slow down before they finish on the one breast?  I'm not an expert, but these are just my thoughts.

I more wanted to answer your sleepign question.  I don't think many los that are bf sleep that long consistently at night.  I wouldn't stress the sleep situation that much.  If your lo is having at least one longer stretch or is only waking to feed, then that is great.  I think my lo was normally only going about 4 or 5 hours and had to nurse by then.

Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job. 

Hang in there.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline nathansmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • mommy & me
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 18:37:01 pm »
Thanks for your reply! He is able to go his three hours until the next feed, so I would say he is fine with the short feed time. I just hate having to see him be fussy and cry about eating. I can hear him swallowing although I haven't noticed if it slows down before he stops. I'll try to keep an eye open for that.
He does do a longer stretch at night he goes from his DF between 10:15-11:00 to anywhere from 2:30 to 4:00. But I find that this time has been getting shorter and shorter... and it always has me wondering if I should put him back to sleep or feed him.
Marilyn,
mom to Nathan - december 6, 2005
& Lilymae - June 20, 2008

Offline daisymelan

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 18:51:03 pm »
Wow, sounds like your lo is doing great in the sleep department.  BTW, I just wanted to say that in my last post I meant to say that at that age, they sleep that amount.  When your lo is a bit older, you may notice that he is able to go longer.  It's different for each lo.  Mine slept through, for the most part, at an earlier age than some mamas.  But your lo will let you know.

Hope your little one stops fussing.  It must be tough. 

hugs!
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)