Author Topic: breastfeeding and weaning question  (Read 1816 times)

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
breastfeeding and weaning question
« on: November 02, 2005, 04:34:46 am »
I know this is about weaning but I wanted to put it here becasue i thought that more people who breastfeed and have weaned would see it.  I have gotten Lindsey down to just the am and bedtime breastfeed now but I don't know what is the best way to go about weaning these last two.  I am not in a big hurry but would like to be done before we start ttc again probably in January.  Any suggestions or stories on how you weaned the last couple feeds.  I currently nurse her in the am after she wakes and at bedtime.  Thanks.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 19:07:13 pm »
Hey Lynne, if she is willing to wean, and you're sure you want to, then here is what we did with Grace.

I was 20 weeks pg with ds, so my milk was dwindling pretty fast. I dropped the first am feed by just getting her out of her crib and taking her straight to breakfast. Then she got her snack midmorning, a nap, and then lunch. Snack midafternoon and then nap again, and then dinner.

The night feed was harder to cut, mentally for me. We changed her bedtime routine to do it. She got her bath, and dh helped me do pajamas. He just put her in her crib after pajamas, and we said prayers and she went to bed. It was like missing the nursing didn't phase her at all.

Good luck!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline rachelle

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • Oregon/USA
    • my blog
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 19:15:45 pm »
I got kalli down to those last 2 feeds as well...for some I know dropping the bedtime feed is harder, but for both girls the morning feed was last to go because a lot of times it'd be snuggle in bed time and such.  Anyhow, right after kalli turned one I got her down to the 2 feeds, but then we suspected lactose intolerance so she started nursing more again.  Once I introduced milk again and didn't see issues, I cut back to the 2 a day, sometimes even just one.  Then we went through a REALLY busy couple of weeks and missed a lot of feedings, and went several days without any.  Then last week she was having a hard time and I nursed her a couple of times, and then haven't for about 9 days now, and my milk is just barely still there.  It's not that I didn't want to continue, but with this pregnancy and other things going on it was j ust time.  If she's having a rough day she still will try to nurse, but since I know she'd just be more upset if I put her on and she didn't get anything, I just hold her while she  drinks a cup of milk or water.

Anyways, sorry for the rambling.  I did the same thing as stacy for mornings, just go straight to breakfast...nights were easier for us because of the busy-ness.  HTH a little...
Rachelle
Mommy to
Kiandra Diane 6-11-03
Kalli Louise 9-20-04
And Kiersten Angeline 4-25-06

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 19:27:46 pm »
Do you offer a substitue at bedtime?  Like a sippy of juice or something else that they will drink?   I guess I just don't know how attached she really is to these last 2.  I guess I will find out when I try to start cutting them out though.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 19:43:14 pm »
I didn't offer a substitute with Grace, her dinner was big, and she slept through great. We brushed her teeth in the bathtub and no looking back. If you could do it without, that is the easiest.

With Max, I don't know what I'm going to do. He is still nursing the bedtime feed (and he's downright crazy for it) and often wakes at 4am and screams "nin! NIN! NIN!"  :roll:  I'm ready to wean both at this point, but he is not ready at all. Maybe we should try a bedtime snack?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline rachelle

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • Oregon/USA
    • my blog
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 20:57:28 pm »
Kalli was having some early morning waking issues, so I usually do give both girls a snack and maybe some milk before bed...I wouldn't say it's a replacement necessarily, and it doesn't even always happen that they get a snack.  Depends on what kind of dinner they had,  and what kind of evening we're having.  Sometimes I do it just to buy 5 minutes of quietish noise  :oops:  lol
Rachelle
Mommy to
Kiandra Diane 6-11-03
Kalli Louise 9-20-04
And Kiersten Angeline 4-25-06

Offline mergem

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 17:11:37 pm »
Lynne,
I have this exact question.  My 12 mo. DS is taking two BF.  For the past two days, I've gotten him up and he's ready toplay in themorning and hasn't seemed to want to nurse.  I gave him a bottle this morning and held him.
I think I am the one who's more upset about the weaning!
I'm too scared to try the nightime wean yet!   I'll keep watching this  post for more suggestions!

Offline matt&chris mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 21:59:15 pm »
I've been trying to wean down to 2 feeds and Chris will have none of it for the last month. I can give him a snack and a cup of rice milk and he will still whine and whine and whine and whine. Saturday we were gone almost all day so he only had the morning and night feeds, but he did point telling me he wanted to breastfeed. We were at a birthday party so I was able to distract him, but distraction does not work at home. He will even hit or try to bite me if I try to ignore him.

Minerva

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 01:37:54 am »
Minerva, that is where I am with Max. He pulls on my shirt, sometimes he just wants to touch my breasts. Whines, hits, etc. If I offer to him, though, he usually won't nurse. Just wants to know they're there.
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies

Offline MomtoRee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 02:31:11 am »
Glad I am not the only one with trouble weaning.  I am just trying to get down to three feedings.  The days that I work as soon as I walk in the door for lunch and when I get home she signs for milk, cries, pulls up my shirt, tries to get down it, and anything she can to get to them.  Plus, she really eats all four times.  We actually just dropped a 5am feeding a few weeks ago.  Maybe it is to soon to try to drop another one?  Even if she has a snack before I walk in the door it doesn't help! 

So, no help from me!  I have no idea how to do it.
Ree November 2004

Offline matt&chris mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2005, 02:19:30 am »
Chris points and sometimes says Ni Ni Ni Ni. If I say where is Ni Ni? He points to the correct location. As soon as I start lifting my shirt he starts smiling and has a ver happy look on his face. He is extremely attached. I'll let you know if I find a solution. I am happy to say weaning him from the night time feeds was much easier than the afternoon feed he refuses to give up. I wonder if I can get rid of the before bed time instead of the afternoon feed. I think I will try it this weekend.

Minerva

Offline matt&chris mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 17:46:27 pm »
As of this morning, Chris is doing something similar to Max. He points that he wants to breastfeed, but when I offer he acts like he is going to latch on and turns his face away with a weird look on his face. He did breastfeed before his nap this morning with no weird looks. Please tell me he is wanting to quit breastfeeding he just hasn't figured it out completely.

Minerva