Author Topic: Questions on inconsistent napping  (Read 883 times)

Offline SyGuysMom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 10, 2013, 18:33:54 pm »
My LO is 9 wks old, and follows the EASY schedule for feeding spot on. However, napping is still an issue. About 3 weeks ago he began cat napping 20 mins. That was when I discovered the EASY schedule and started him on shush-pat about a week ago. That has helped extend his naps to about 40 mins now, sometimes 1 hr. He usually naps really well for his 8:30-10am nap, usually going down early (around 8am).  It's the subsquent naps that suffer.

This morning, he napped extra long (8:30 - 9am, then 9:30 - 11:30am). I let him continue b/c he doesn't get a ton of day sleep any way. Yesterday, he went from 8am - 10:30am straight.

If this continues, shoudl I allow him to nap this long? I'm not sure if this would affect his later naps, and night sleep? He doesn't wake up crying to eat (he usually doens't, he's a mellow baby doens't cry much, even when he doesn't get enough sleep). Just wanting to know how to apply EASY in this type of situation. Thanks!

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: Questions on inconsistent napping
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 08:36:00 am »
At this age I would let a baby nap 2-2.5h.
Naps are often related to the A times - too short or too long A times will cause short naps.
There is some information here that is worth looking at:
What are A times and how do they fit into the EASY plan?
chronological EASY samples, 0-3 months
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!
He is still very very young so a lot of it can still be developmental and he will outgrow it.
HTH :)
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline SyGuysMom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 18:29:46 pm »
Okay, thanks! Good to know he's just getting the rest he needs. Yesterday he actually slept for 3 hrs at his 2:15 nap, while his morning sleep was inconsistent. I finally woke him 3 hrs later at 5:15pm so it wouldnt affect his BT. He still wanted to have a catnp at 6pm, and he was so tired by the time we put him down for BT at 8pm. His sleeping in general has been inconsistent this wk, waking at 6am instead of 7am. Like you said, he is still very young, so perhaps I need to just still roll with it while giving him  guidance.

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: Questions on inconsistent napping
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 17:07:12 pm »
I wouldn't let him nap more than 2.5h  :-\ but that's me...
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/