Author Topic: Toddler on a leash?  (Read 4962 times)

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
« on: February 08, 2007, 14:59:30 pm »
In Scotland and London I saw that people use some kind of leash for their toddlers and preschoolers ???

WTF???

Is this general practice, i mean is that something normal? It looks so odd to me KWIM?

Or are they excellent things and it is really just me?

Offline xxkaty23xx

• Showing Appreciation 97
  • My gorgeous little Aiden!
    • Facebook
Re: Toddler on a leash?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 15:02:28 pm »
Mikey has two, a wrist harness and a full body harness, they are pretty standard here, gives you child the feeling they are walking alone b/c they dont need to hold your hand but you know they cant run away. A lot of people have problems with them but i personally think they are a great idea, i dont pull ds along on it but when we go somewhere like the park there is a huge lake without any barriers and it saves any accidents
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 18:19:12 pm by xxkaty19xx »

Offline Claire Anne

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • (formerly known as Claire C Mc!!)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 15:03:49 pm »
Ha ha I know exactly what you mean!! I thought it was terrible and an awful thing to do to a child until I had a toddler who was mad to go walking everywhere, but didn't have enough sense to hold hands (too young) and wouldn't sit in the buggy. So we got these 'reins' which gave him a feeling of independence and us a whole lot of peace of mind!
But yeah, they do look a bit peculiar when you aren't familiar with them!!
Bet you were expecting to hear the parents bark out 'Sit! Stay! Heel'!!!

Niamh - Best small girl in the whole wide world
Amy - 2 1/2 Best big girl in the whole wide world
Éanna - Best boy ever

binxyboo

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 15:11:48 pm »
We live in CA, I bought a "leash" for Riley not so long ago. It is like a little teddy bear backpack, he adores it. I never thought I would use one, but it has turned out useful.

Offline Jenn©

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 16:09:50 pm »
The first time we put one on Mouse, we got lots of strange looks and one "I need one!!!!!!!!!" .     ;D
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline ~Kellie~

• Mummy~Moo~Ma
  • Showing Appreciation 105
  • Mummy's Boy
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 17:26:44 pm »
We have one for DD and use it when we are in a town centre
walking or walking along busy roads.

I too used to always say I would never use one on any child of mine
but then something happened to change my mind.

When my DS was 3 he slipped his hand out of my mothers and ran straight
onto a main road and in front of a moving car.  My mother had no time to grab him and the driver had no
time to stop.  DS was thrown into the air and landed on his head. 
All this happened practically outside my front door so I was there immediately.

Luckily for DS it was an elderly man driving the car and he wasn't speeding....in fact he
was driving under the speed limit.  This saved DS's life. 

DS had split his head open and his legs were badly bruised.  I was sitting in the middle of the
road cradling my baby's head and his blood was pouring out onto my hands.  When the paramedics came
they took DS from me and he saw my hands.  "Mummy did you cut yourself too?" He asked.
"Yes" I lied.  We were on our way to the hospital in the ambulance and DS was afraid.  "Mummy am I dying?"
he asked me.  That was the single worst moment of my life.......to hear those words coming from
my child  :'(

He had to get his head stapled without any pain relief as they hadn't ruled out serious head injury. 
That was later ruled out and we were allowed to take him home.  The next day his legs were so stiff from the impact
that he couldn't walk and was like that for a week.  It was very scary he could have died.
The bottom line is if he had a wrist or body harness it wouldn't have happened at all.
DS wore a wrist harness after that.

So my DD wears a wrist harness and I could care less about getting strange looks......her safety is what's important.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 17:28:26 pm by ~Kellie~ »

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 17:37:43 pm »
Pre-Children I thought:  Can't those people control their kids?

Now, I have 2 and use the ALL the time.  DD is lightning quick and will squirm her hand out of mine and be gone in an instant.  I do use it as a backup safety measure and even when it's on I insist that she hold my hand.  It doesn't always work and that's when I'm glad I have something attached to her.

Kellie - I'm SO sorry for the accident and SO glad your LO is okay!
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline estherofi20

• Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 17:41:57 pm »
Kellie, oh gosh i'm SO SORRY for the accident :'(... Thank God he is ok.

I do have a harness for my DS, and i plan to use one with every kid i have. I can't imagine having two little one running around and me beeing abble to control both at all times, so for us harness is a MUST!!!

Offline ~Kellie~

• Mummy~Moo~Ma
  • Showing Appreciation 105
  • Mummy's Boy
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 17:42:07 pm »
Kellie - I'm SO sorry for the accident and SO glad your LO is okay!

Oh yes he is fine now......that was a lot of years ago.....he's almost 12yrs old and taller than me now!  ;D

binxyboo

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 17:52:26 pm »
So scary Kellie!

Here is something very similar to the one I have for Riley http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4837494

Offline Elisabeth and Victorias mummy

• Showing Appreciation 39
  • My baby sister, cute!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 17:53:32 pm »
My mother had my sister , brother and I were them when we were little, there reins, and that was almost 30 years ago.  I will use them for my dd, there is too many dangers nowadays, kidnappings, lost children, accidents with cars, I am so sorry you had to go through that.  I do not care what others think and if someone has a prob with it , thats there prob, my childs safety is more important than someones opinion.  My mum says that when we came to Canada she had my brother in the reins walking in  a mall, and a mother commented saying how dare she treat her son like a dog.  My mum is an emotional woman and was vey hurt by this, I do not think we went to a mall for a long time after that.
u rl=http://lilypie.com][/url]  []

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 18:07:59 pm »
Kelli!!  Oh my goodness.  Sorry you had to go through that.

I also have been contemplating buying a harness or leash for ds.  I have seen cute one's at WalMart that can also be used as a back pack.  I just have to stop listening to my friends who are against it.  They are also the ones with very calm, subdued children.  Not like my spirited DS!
Judy

Offline xxkaty23xx

• Showing Appreciation 97
  • My gorgeous little Aiden!
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 18:23:34 pm »
I also wanna add, when we go out no matter hwere to Mikey ALWAYS wears one but when we are somewhere where he cant be hurt i let go and he walks alone, i only hold him when hes next to a road or open water or big crowds. He likes it and sometimes when he's scared b/c there's a big group of people he will ask me to hold the harness so he doesn't get lost

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 18:49:32 pm »
Holy cow Kellie, that must have been awful.  Glad everything turned out ok. 

I've seen them at Target too and have thought about buying one.  A friend of mine went into the baby store by her and told them she wanted a leash for her child...and the salesperson went on and on about how they're not called leashes, we call them whatever term they use, etc, etc, LOL :)

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 20:37:41 pm »
We use one all the time - a full body Winnie the Pooh one. Ds always asks for 'bear' when we get out the car to go anywhere :). We had a debate about this last year, I'll see if I can find it for you. Seems like it's another cultural thing, I think

Here you go:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=74417.0
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston