Author Topic: Question about bedtime routine  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Leasmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 02, 2007, 13:12:51 pm »
I am new to the BW and am trying to get my dd on EASY.
My dd is 8 months old and our bedtime routine has been consistent since she was maybe 5 months old. We do:
6.00 Solids
7: Bath/shower with either parent
7.10: baby massage
7.30: pj's (which she hates and gets very upset  :P)
then BF
7.45/50: straight to bed with paci

Well, now we are trying to disconnect Bf with going to sleep/soothing (allthough it works sooo well  :P, but apperantly makes her wake up more at night  :P) So my question is: what sould you do? Should I BF before massage or do the routine and put her pj's on and then read a bit to her/quiet play for 5-10 minutes and then off to bed?

How long is your bedtime routine? Ours is almost an hour, do you think it is to long or will she get used to it?  Do you give them solids at dinner time and rice cereal right before bed? that is a routine many parents in Iceland do (where we live) because they think it makes the babies sleep better  :P, don't know about that though...

All suggestions and BTDT well appreciated  :D

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Question about bedtime routine
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 00:38:22 am »
What we did when we were preparing to drop the before bedtime BF (which would be the same if you were just moving it) is to slowly move it back in the evening.  In our case, we started reading a book after the bedtime BF, then added another book after, just to break up the time a bit.  We always did it after her bath though.  For a while we did a bottle before the stories, then we dropped that and now she just has some milk with/after dinner.  Since she hates the pjs so much, I might do your bf after that, and then do the reading and quiet play and see how it goes. 

Our bedtime routine has always been around an hour, so I wouldn't worry about the time.  With my two, I start putting the little one to bed around 6:30 and finish with the older one around 8, so it does end up taking a fair amount of time. 

At 8 months with dd1, we did solids at dinnertime, but no rice cereal before bed.  Breastmilk has more fat in it anyway from what I've read so I'd just stick with the bf. 

HTH!

Offline KimberJ

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 02:32:14 am »
My son is 13 months and I still follow the same routine as I did at 8 months old.   :)

5:00 solid food (dinner)
5:30/5:45 bath (the time depends on how long it takes him to eat etc.
6:00ish play a little in his room with toys and get into PJ then get a bottle
Read while taking a bottle (He takes about 5 ounces)  I think this bottle will end soon
6:30ish snuggle with soft music
6:45 I lay him in his bed and he falls asleep   ;D

He took an additional dream feed at 11 everynight until he didn't want it anymore.  He was about 10 months old.  I know that is much older than most, but he couldn't go through the night without it.  I just let him grow out of it.  I tried several times to not give it to him and he would wake up crying at 2:00 AM.  So, I would start it up again. Finally one day he only took about an ounce and then I knew he didn't need anymore.  So, I stopped.  :D

Connor wakes up at exactly 6:30AM everyday.  This is fine with me, because I am a morning person.  I love my evenings with my husband.  We can snuggle up on the couch and watch our favorite TV shows or read. 

Well, I hope this helps.  Good luck!