Author Topic: 45 minute intruder?  (Read 2379 times)

Offline mckittrick1

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 14, 2012, 02:13:15 am »
 ??? I have a 7 week old (as of tomorrow) and are having a terrible time getting him past the 45 minute transition at nap time. He wants to get up and eat (part my fault for thinking it was a growth spurt when it started last weekend as he acted hungry when he woke early) but we have ruled out true hunger by giving him bottles and he is eating plenty (2.5-4 or 5 oz). Also, it's been going on since last Sunday night if I remember right, so I'm fairly sure it's not a growth spurt. It even is happening at night. He gives me one 3 hr stretch from about 845 to 1145 and then he is waking every 1.5 hrs from the time I feed him. Habit at night 45 minute intruder during the day? IDK!? What should I do to get him to sleep through the transition???
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 20:40:17 pm by Bex09 »

Offline RebekahDSC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 04:02:57 am »
Hi and welcome to the baby whisperer forums!  Can you post your EASY?  45 minute naps are partly developmental (we dealt with them from 2months-6 months) as LOs' systems develop and they learn to sleep through the transition but it also very well may help to increase his A times.  If you post your EASY, we can take a look at it and see if the A times (or anything else) need tweaking.  ;)

Offline mckittrick1

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 19:59:22 pm »
Well, we have been struggling to get him to the 2.5 hr routine since day one but here's what the day is supposed to look like (then I'll show what it does look like.)
E-0830  Right now he does this pretty well, waking on own. We have gotten his nights stretches to 3-3.5 hrs so usually 12 or so, then 3 ish and 6 ish
A- 0830-9:30- He won't stay awake for more than 30 minutes and then he's just out
S- 0930-11 Yesterday I had to wake him at 11, today he only slept till 10. First my DH tried rocking him back to sleep with paci for 15, then I just put him to bed with the paci and he fell asleep for short increments but he kept waking until feed time.
E- 11- fed and he ate about 5 oz (expressed milk).
A 11-12 Stayed very low key, did not do much of anything today- bouncy seat and held him for a while
S 12-130- Today he woke at 1, yesterday he woke at 1250. Neither time we were successful at really getting him back to sleep. He stayed in bed until feed time today and I just stayed in there and kept putting the paci in over and over. He'd wake every few minutes and he always acts hungry but he'll take the paci anyway for a few minutes... it keeps him from crying at least.  Yesterday I tried giving him first one oz, then another since he acts hungry when he wakes, but it did not work to get him back to sleep so the whole rest of the day got off...
E-1:30 Yesterday the whole day was off... and I pretty much called the afternoon a wash... His eat times were off and his naps lasted 45 minutes- 1 hr
A 130-230. Today he was ready for sleep shortly after 2 and I held him off till 215, changed him and swaddled him (HE HATES THIS!) and he was asleep by 220.
S 230-4
E 4
A 4-5
S 5-6:30
E 630
A 630-730
S 730-830/845
E 830/845
S at 9 PM

So here we are... reverting to a 1.5 hour routine (and I was frustrated for weeks when he was on a 2 hr routine and sleeping exactly one hour!). The only bad part of this routine was that he would miss an awake time a couple of times a day and so we couldn't get him to the "timed" feedings. We are desperately wanting him to make it 2.5 hrs during the day and at least 3 at night. It seems this is as long as he can make it right now since it's never the same amount of time at night and he's only been doing this for a couple of nights. Before this he was starting to go about 3 hr stretches then suddenly at 6 weeks he started waking every 1.5 hrs so I figured it must be a growth spurt. That started only at nights for a couple of nights and then it progressed into the days. After several days I decided to pump to ensure that he was getting enough and he was so we figured out it was habit or behavioral and that it was something we needed to make him work past. This went very well for nights. But days are a whole different story!  I feel like I've tried it ALL! We have a white noise machine, we have a quiet house, we have stayed home. We have tried the swing, we've tried feeding him when he wakes (which seems to be the best option but I'm trying to put a stop to it since I've been pumping the last couple of days to ensure he's getting plenty of milk, but he still acts hungry when he wakes!) and I've tried adjusting wake times. When he was on the 2 hr routine it didn't matter if i put him down early or tried keeping him up later, he was out at 1 hr (or got very grouchy!) He weighs 13 lbs at 7 weeks. So I know he is not starving to death. However, he apparently didn't gain since last week?? Still at 13 lbs... He is huge for his age, and I thought maybe I've been over feeding him- which is why I'm so hesitant to give into him at only 1.5 or 2 hrs after he eats. I've started pumping because of oversupply issues and thought that maybe he wasn't getting to the hind-milk (even on one sided nursing) and I also came down with mastitis which really has me thinking that I have to get to a constant routine to regulate my supply. It doesn't know what to do when the kiddo goes from eating every 1.5 hrs round the clock to 3 hrs at night to 1.5 hrs in the day and I just feel like we are all over the place and can't for the life of us get to the "EASY" routine. We've been working towards it for 7 weeks now and I just am about ready to give up. I don't know what to do! So sorry for such the long post. Any advice would be truly appreciated.

Offline mckittrick1

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 20:03:38 pm »
And also, I am fairly content with nights as they are for now... I can only handle to work on so much at a time and between this pumping/supply issue, nap issues, and trying to get anything done besides feeding and shh'ing him- I feel full. I haven't done the dream feed as he didn't take it the one time I offered but ended up waking early from his 3 hr stretch and he is eating so often anyway, I don't feel the need to feed him any sooner at this point.

Offline RebekahDSC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 17:09:54 pm »
Sorry I don't have much time today, but I'll share a few thoughts and get back later.

Have you seen these links?  They may help:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=64158.msg476652#msg476652
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=186622.0
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=65842.0
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=85500.0

TBH, I didn't start my DD on EASY until around the time she turned 5 months, so I don't know tons about starting EASY at such a young age.  Hopefully we'll get someone on here soon who does! :)

Something I am semi-familiar with is oversupply.  Do you have an overactive letdown?  If you do, I would highly recommend posting on the breastfeeding board. Sometimes when babies are dealing with an oal (or with reflux - the two often have similar symptoms) they nurse and spit-up and want to nurse again very quickly, even though it actually makes things worse.  That could be complicating the sleep issues.  Sending hugs your way, as I know that is super hard for both of you!

I definitely understand how frustrating this time is.  The early months were sooo hard for me, but it does get better!

Offline Bex09

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
Re: 45 minute intruder?
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 20:39:39 pm »
Hi there, seeing as you are wanting to tackle one issue at a time and naps seem to be your main concern at the minute. I am going to lock this thread hun and post the link to your naps post for others to follow along. That way all your info stays in one place too. :)

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=229167.0