Author Topic: working and pumping and breastfeeding  (Read 1031 times)

Offline bethann

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 40
working and pumping and breastfeeding
« on: June 13, 2006, 16:02:24 pm »
I start work tomorrow. LO is 3 mo. I LOVE BF and am not ready to wean.  She takes a bottle very well, and I have been pumping ever since her birth (whenever necessary), so I am familiar with the pump (I have the Aven Isis IQ Duo).  I will be working four days a week.  Has anyone else been sucessful with working and BFing? How long were you able to continue? Any tips? I plan on pumping when her normal feeds would take place (10, 1, and 4). I would be heartbroken if my supply dried up and I couldn't BF her anymore- as many people have told me will happen. I plan to BF as long as I can- without the supplementing of formula!
{mom to abigail 3.13.16, caleb 4.14.07, and anna noelle 12.04.13}

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: working and pumping and breastfeeding
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 16:39:53 pm »
My only suggestion to you might be to pump 4 times while at work (if you can get the time to do it... say 10, 12, 2, 4).  Since the pump is not as effieicent as your lo, this may help produce more total milk for the day.  Just a thought.

Here's a link you may also find helpful

http://www.pumpingmoms.org/

Best of luck to you!  You can do it!  I have a friend as well who had issues feeding early on and was pumping from the beginning.  When her dd finally caught on, her maternitiy leave was up, so she continued pumping at work and she bf/pumped for the full year with no problem  ;D

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline clh

• Showing Appreciation 226
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 17:08:50 pm »
I started back to work when ds was 4 months.  He's now almost 10 months & I've been pumping... gosh... for almost 6 months now.  He hasn't had formula at all this whole time. 

In the beginning, his & my schedules worked out so that I could use my lunch break to bf him & I'd just pump in the morning & afternoon (~10 & ~4).  Recently his schedule changed so now I'm pumping at work at 10, 1, & 4. 

One thing...  when my ds started dropping feeds (solids, sleeping thru, etc), I had to continue pumping as though he were feeding at those times.  If I dropped below ~7 "demands" on my breasts (nursing or pumping), my supply seemed to decrease.  So now I pump during the day & a time or 2 after ds goes to sleep.  I actually nurse in the morning and at bedtime.  HTH.
Candice

Offline bethann

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 19:07:54 pm »
which pump do you have? Does that make a huge difference?

Offline clh

• Showing Appreciation 226
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 20:58:16 pm »
I have a Medela Pump-in-Style Advanced.  It's the only one I've ever used, so I don't know how to compare to other pumps.  (It's what my lactation consultant sold.) 

Please know that it can be done!  :)  A friend of mine had a similar story to mine (back to work at 4 months) and she bf/pumped till her ds was a year and then pumped decreasing amounts as she weaned him in addition to that year.
Candice

Offline bethann

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 21:52:11 pm »
that's awesome to know!  I am so determined to keep her EBF for the first year.  My pump is similar to the medela- (i was just making sure that I didn't have to rent a hospital grade pump)- so I guess I'm all set! Thank-you all! (also thanks for the link- very helpful)

Offline Duckie

• Showing Appreciation 183
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 00:38:18 am »
Since I saw this thread, I can't stop thinking "Working and pumping and nursing OH MY!"

I need sleep.

Good luck!
Mother Duck to A (June/01), J (April/06), my sleeping S (2/Dec/03) and my nameless angels (1/July/04; 2/Nov/04; 13/July/05)