Author Topic: Is there a long 3 month growth spurt  (Read 913 times)

Offline parmar1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: April 19, 2012, 10:32:06 am »
Hi all
I am exclusively breastfeeding my DD who is now 14 weeks. She used to sleep at night and go 4-5 hours at her longest spell of sleep, but for about a week now she can barely last 2 hours. Some of the nights feeds I can see she is ravenous and other times she takes small feeds. During the day she is going 3 hourly.
She has a pacifier for her naps (could this be an issue, does she want it at night)???

Not sure what is going on. I know sleep can change around 4 months, they can become extremely aware, but I thought we'd see longer spells at night, not going back to 2 hourly feeds during the nights - its so hard as I have an active 3 year old to deal with during the day and I am shattered...

Can anyone help

Thanx
Ash
x

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Is there a long 3 month growth spurt
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 11:58:53 am »
Hi there!

Growth spurts can happen at all sorts of times, not necessarily just at the times that are in the books.  That being said, if she's not taking full feeds all the time when she wakes, I'd definitely look at some other possible causes.  The paci could be an issue if she's looking for it when she wakes.  Could it also be time for an A time increase?

Offline parmar1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 17:38:04 pm »
Today when I put her down for her nap, I secretly watched her to see what she was doing...it seems I think that her cradle cap (and she has it quite bad) is itchy, as she was moving her head trying to rub her forehead (the dry bits are above her forehead) - (she sleeps on her side) - we're off to the docs tomorrow just to see what we can do for it..have been using olive oil and although it is kind of working, its still taking a long time.

If its not that, then perhaps she may be thinking that she wants the pacifier, even thou I dont give it to her for her night sleep..she may just be using me as a dummy!!

And another thing, she does love her naps, so perhaps she is having too long a naps in the day (averaging 4.5/5 hours - not sure if thats too much, so will check on the boards..

Oh well...at least she's piling on the pounds!

xx

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Is there a long 3 month growth spurt
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 03:06:07 am »
Maybe let the EASY ladies have a look at your routine?  The itching is definitely a possibility too.  Hope you figure it out soon!  And yay for weight gain! :)