Author Topic: Ready to feed vs powder formula  (Read 2190 times)

Offline Stine333

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 12, 2006, 14:09:52 pm »
My ped told me to try my son on lactose free formula because of all of his spit up.  He has reflux and is on Zantac and Mylanta and we are doing all of the reflux things.  He seemed better for about a week - much less spit up, formed BM - so we thought that was it.  I tried some ready feed formula - thinking it was thicker and may help the formula stay down even better (since my doc said "no way" to thickening with cereal)  Ever since then he has been eating less and less.  He was eating 7 oz at each feeding and now I have to fight with him to get 5 oz in him. He keeps wanting to lean forward and spits out the bottle. 

Do you theink the ready feed makes him full and that is why he does not want as much?  Anyway - I went back to the powder and now he does not like that either.  I called the doc this AM - we will see.
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 151
Re: Ready to feed vs powder formula
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 17:42:31 pm »
Are you using Enfamil Lactose-Free? 

We started on Similac and at about 4MO tried Enfamil Lactose Free.  DDs sleeping improved dramatically and it was practically overnight but she wouldn't drink very much.  When she would only eat 2oz. at each feed, I got worried and we switched back to Similac.   Her intake went up, but the sleep and irritabilty problems returned again and then we switched to Good Starts.  We got a good intake (although she's not a fantastic eater) and good sleep.

PS:  DD had mild reflux during this time as well.
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline jmosery

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 19:23:51 pm »
thats funny

my son was eating 40 oz. before we switched to Enfamil Lactose free. we tried every formula possible, even Neocate

my son is doing great on the Enfamil. only issue is hard popps. so i sometimes give him a tbl. of prune juice in his formula to soften it up. but no gas nothing

he is now eating 28 oz. instead of 40.

we use the powder but I saw a change in the amount he was eating too. its great. he for one month was eating 40 oz. AND cereal in teh bottle and was spitting up terribly AND gained FOUR POUNDS IN 3 WEEKS

it was crazy

he is doing great on the Enfamil Lactose free.
Jaime

Michael- 7/8/06
Natalie- 7/8/07

[

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 19:26:13 pm »
DD would eat about 12-15oz per day on Enfamil Lactose Free and would take 24-28oz of other formulas - at that time.
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline SallyDom

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 19:31:49 pm »
I tried some ready feed formula - thinking it was thicker and may help the formula stay down even better
By ready feed do you mean the made up formula that comes in a carton? A friend told me (though I don't know where she got it from) that ready made formula shouldn't be given to babies under 6 months as it is too rich for their tummy's and can give them tummy ache. If you didn't mean this then please ignore me!
Sal
x
Dominic Luke 29/03/06
Isaac (Zac) James 14/11/07

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 20:21:17 pm »
Bit of trivia for you:  There is this funky gel called Simply Thick that you can add to formula to thicken it a bit.  Tasteless, easy to use, but expensive.  We tried cereal, she could not handle it.  The gel, no problems and it seem to help the 'flux some.  What would your doc say to this?
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.