Author Topic: Milk/Soy Sensitivity  (Read 1501 times)

Offline dbj

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 19
« on: June 03, 2007, 00:26:16 am »
Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this:

I have a 5 month old daughter who is exclusively breast-fed.  She has a sensitivity to my eating dairy & soy in that she gets eczema.  At first, before I realized, it was quite a bit on her face, but after clearing that up, it now comes a little bit on her chest area.  My doctor did prescribe us some HC cream, but I obviously would rather control it through diet rather than treat the effects.  I can eat small amounts without it affecting her. 

What I am wondering is about formula.  I haven't given her any yet, but would like to be prepared just in case the need arises.  Is there a difference when the baby would directly consume either a cow's milk based or soy based formula vs. through breast milk?  Would she be sensitive to formula... and then subsequently to her own consumption of yogurt, cheese etc... in several months time.   Also, where this is not a milk/soy protein allergy, I've read that she will grow out of it.  I'm not sure when?

Any experiences that you can share would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Donna

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Milk/Soy Sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 16:18:02 pm »
TBH, breastmilk is best for allergic/intolerant babies. If you do need/decide to go the formula route, you'll likely want to start with a "hypoallergenic" one like Alimentum or Nutramigen. Yes, often babies can tolerate small amounts of milk or soy in BM but not in formula or directly in foods.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

em_here

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 16:25:44 pm »
I agree with PP, my DD is on Neocate, for Milk/soy intolerance.  i was breastfeeding and she kept pulling off and crying a lot with the runs etc. Never thought it was anything allergy like, and put her onto formula as I got so exhausted trying to feed her and look after DS too.  When I put her formula, she was dramatically worse, to the point of hospitilization with blood in her poo, and severe runs and screaming for more than 6/7 hours a day.  I so wish I could have known that she was reacting to the milk in my breastmilk as I could have cut it out as although she was bad with breastfeeding it was nothing compared to full blown formula.  HTH  :-* 

Offline fitfamily

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 17:28:04 pm »
My LO is milk/soy intolerant.  I figured it out at 4 mo.  The biggest indicator was his stools.  They were green -dark grn and had mucous.  The mucous is a sure sign of intolerance.  You've obviously figured out that the skin condition is a symptom too.  My ped. allergist told me that babies react 8% of the time to BM (if not cleared up thru diet) and 3-5% react to hypo-allergenic formulas.  My LO could not tolerate nutramigen or Alimentum.  So, I read every label and have to be strict with my diet.  The only other option for me is Goat's Milk which I would have to add iron, Vit. and Folic Acid.  From my experience I would suggest that you have 2 options.  #1 clean up your diet and read all labels.  Soy Lecithin is even a reactor for my Lo.  #2 You can try hypo-allergenic formula for 2 wks to see if skin clears.  Be careful to not let your supply run low.  You would have to pump and/or clean your diet up and continue to BF in addition to adding formula.  Make sure you keep good fats in your diet (olive oil, avocado).  HTH

Offline dbj

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 02:07:53 am »
I'm pretty sure she's not milk/soy intolerant... it's just an allergy/sensitivity.  It's just pretty much the rash that has been the only reaction.  It didn't appear as though the rash was bothering her either and I didn't notice any reaction in her belly or stools.  I was eating  bowls of cereal with milk, tofu, cheese and yogurt at the time and it was moderate eczema on her face.  It has since cleared completely on her face with my elimination of 90% of my dairy & soy consumption.

I have read that many babies show sensitivities to various trigger foods... dairy, soy, wheat, citrus etc... but that it is, most often, not a long term ailment.  I am wondering if anyone had experiences like this and when she might grow out of this?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 10:31:25 am »
Gut maturity doesn't really begin until around 11 months - most babies with food intolerances/allergies don't outgrow them until 9 months on the very short side and 1-2 years on average.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline fitfamily

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 20:18:30 pm »
dbj,
sensitivity and intolerance are the same thing.  How LOs react may be different.  Mine is obviously more sensitive than yours.  And, Marisa's Mama is right.  You may want to be careful to avoid allergenic foods until gut maturity.  Best of luck.

Offline fitfamily

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 03:28:20 am »
We're all in this together.  I know that I thought I was dealing with allergies until I did way more research to figure it all out without much help from my DR.  The women on here are amazing.  Marisa's Mama (Karen) has a wealth of great info.  Keep posting and let us know how it goes

Offline sfrzn

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 14:51:23 pm »
Hi All...
Just a quick question...could my lo be sensitive to milk/yogurt products, because when I feed it to him, he gets hives where ever the milk product touches? (yogurt, cream, ice cream, milk added to oatmeal) Cheese is the only exception. Any ideas on what do do? Try something else? I have tried a variety of yogurts- wondering if it is the additives, but nothing seems to work. What are other products high in calcium?
Thanks.

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 16:54:57 pm »
Here is a list of non dairy foods that are high in calcium

Black Beans1 cup, 120 mg calcium
Navy Beans 1 cup, 130 mg calcium 
Fortified Cereal 1 cup, 300 mg calcium 
Soybeans, cooked  1 cup, 180 mg calcium 
Spinach, cooked  1/2 cup, 130 mg calcium
Bok Choy 1/2 cup, 80 mg calcium 
Kale, cooked 1/2 cup, 90 mg calcium 
Corn Tortilla 1, 6 inch, 50 mg calcium
Greens, mustard  1/2 cup, 100 mg calcium
Fortified Orange Juice 1 cup, 300 mg calcium 
Canned Salmon w/bones 3 oz, 180 mg
Fortified Cereal  1 cup, 300 mg
Waffle, fortified 1, 150 mg
Soy milk, fortified 1 cup, 400 mg
Greens, mustard 1/2 cup, 100 mg
Tofu  1 cup, 40 mg
Almonds 2 oz., 150 mg
Oysters 3 oz., 80 mg

It sounds like your lo has a dairy allergy. If I were you I would be careful about keep trying it as the reactions could become more severe. Ther are obviously things on the list that will not be suitable for your child yet but others will be.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker