Author Topic: Am I doing this right?!  (Read 919 times)

Offline Zoexr

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 29, 2014, 22:12:05 pm »
Hi everyone, I've been reading this forum for a week or so now and have got lots of great info and advice about EASY, which we started with my 8 week old daughter last week. It seems to be going well, except when we miss her tired signs... But that is something I m working on!
She did have stomach issues due to antibiotics I was taking during that week, but I stopped taking them and she seems to have taken to the routine really well  ;D

Our issue is she has such a tiny activity window, we are starting the wind-down approx 45 mins after she wakes up, which isn't a problem, any more time awake and she tends to melt down and become really hard to settle at all, so with this time frame she is asleep within 10 minutes of getting her in her bed. BUT, then she has a big nap until her next feed time.
For example this morning I woke her at 7, fed and changed her and tried to have a chat but within 30 minutes she was yawning and getting jerky, so I swaddled, did a short wind down and put her in her cot. So that means she is having a 2.30 hour nap. Is that right?!?

Also because of this, she goes through multiple sleep cycles. She normally is ok on the first 45 minute transition, but can't seem to settle herself at 1.30. Which is kind of why I think her nap is too long, but she is tired and yawns and drifts back to sleep if we pat her, but wakes up and cries as soon as we stop, so for the last 45-60 mins of her nap we have to constantly pat her.
This morning at the 1.30 hour wake up, she had burst out of her swaddle, so I got her out of the cot to re swaddle her and did a mini wind down with her and that seemed to settle her for the next hour until her feed time. Is this something I should do, or should I try the sleep to wake thing, or am I missing something really obvious?!?!

Thanks everyone!

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: Am I doing this right?!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 00:43:36 am »
It's been quite  a bit since I had an 8 week old ;) But if she wakes at the 1hr30min mark and you got her up what happens?
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: Am I doing this right?!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 00:44:09 am »
Also what is your current EASY?
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Zoexr

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 03:00:26 am »
If I got her up at 1.30 she is very grumpy, head butting and burying her head in me and crying. So she is still tired. I did wonder whether to just start the easy from there but it doesn't 'feel' right.

We are still very new to it and last week, we just muddled through, trying to stick to the times but not really knowing when she went back to sleep.
We have been trying to follow the BW routine from the books, so:

E 7.00
A normally nappy change and talking
S 7.30-7.50 she is very sleepy in the morning

E 10.00
A as above, nappy change under a mobile so she hangs out there for a while
S 10.50

E 1.00
A as above
S 1.45

E 4.00
A as above
S 4.40

Then the evening went a bit wonky! I got her up from the nap at 5.20, feed, bath, feed, activity, in bed by 6.45. She was sooooo overtired. She woke up 45 minutes later and took until 9ish to settle again.
Dream feed at 10.15.

She then had 2 night feeds, at 1.30 and 5.50  :o

I'm not sure whether to just concentrate on helping her sleep through the wake ups or to extend the activity time, or both!!! She is so easy to tip into overtired though.

Thanks again

Offline Zoexr

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 03:09:06 am »
Just add yet another question, will I always have to wake her up from naps?
I wake her up 3 hours after her last feed...

I think I've thought about this in too much detail!!!