Author Topic: 3.5-4hour EASY and BFing. dropping a nap  (Read 1042 times)

Offline shannoncorrin

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: February 01, 2014, 17:47:50 pm »
Hello!

Little guy will be 16 weeks old this week.  I'm not sure if I need to change to a longer schedule or not.  I'm also confused about his end of day.  He doesn't give me sleepy signs at all, but he loves to play and I feel like he does well with a 1.5 hour A time.  I'm planning on sticking with this A time for a little longer before changing it, but it seems like he can go longer between feeds.  He has never been a good napper, but he is a good night sleeper.  Today, we put room darkening blinds in, and he took almost a 2 hour nap!! It was amazing!!

Here is my current schedule (I'm usually within 30 min of it each day):
7:00 wake for day, eat, play
8:30-10:00 nap (doesn't always nap the entire time)

10:00 eat
11:30-1 nap

1:00 eat
2:30-4 nap

4:00 eat
5:30-7 nap

7 eat
8:30 bedtime

9:30 dream feed

I hate our end of day.  It feels like I just get him to bed for the night and I turn around and do the dream feed. I don't get to spend any time alone with my husband.  He always wakes up for the dream feed too.  I'm not sure if I need to bump up my 7:00 feed to 6:30 to make that last nap a cat nap and give me an extra 30 min in the evening, or if I should try to change to a 3.5-4 hour schedule.  Should I drop that last nap completely?  I just don't know.  I don't want to rock the boat too much. 

Also, I'm worried when the time comes to change to a 4 hour schedule I would drop a feed.  Right now, I only feed him 6 times a day since he has stopped eating MOTN.  If I extended his schedule he would only eat 5 times a day.  I'm worried that he may start waking MOTN for food if I do this.  Its hard for me to tell how much he has eaten.  Sometimes he eats for 20 min sometimes 40, but I feel like he gets about the same amount. He does a lot of unproductive suckling I think. 

Any advice on how I could adjust my schedule would be much appreciated!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 3.5-4hour EASY and BFing. dropping a nap
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 11:50:14 am »
Have you seen the FAQs on the transition from 3 to 4hr EASY?  Your LO is just the right age now. Some prefer to wait until the routine goes off in some way (like short naps or wanting to go longer between feeds) although I think Tracy advised to shift the routine so as not to miss the window which can lead to short A times and short naps.
Time to Transition - 3hr, 3.5hr or 4hr EASY

WRT waking for the dream feed, you could try going in at a different time (would need to be before he habitually wakes) or continue as you are. Mine always woke for the 'DF' too, I just went with it until it was dropped.
hth