Author Topic: Avacodo Questions- Need Help ASAP  (Read 1196 times)

Offline *Kimberly*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
Avacodo Questions- Need Help ASAP
« on: October 07, 2006, 18:51:12 pm »
Hello.  I decided to introduce avacodos to my son today and I have some questions.  When I cut them open I noticed that there were a bunch of brown spots?  Does that mean they are bad?  I want to make the avacodo mix a little thiner, can I mix some formula in?  Should I make this his main meal, or just give him a little with something else?

Thanks so much.  I would like to introduce this at lunch in 30min (I know, not much forthought) but I can hold off until dinner.

Kimberly
Brendan's Mom

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
Re: Avacodo Questions- Need Help ASAP
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 19:00:32 pm »
Hi Kimberly,

I wouldn't worry about the brown spots too much, as long as it's a fresh avocado. They do turn brown very quickly, but are still OK to eat. Yes, you can mix with formula, in fact this is a good idea, as it will 'ease' him into a new flavour.

At his age, I don't think you need to worry about it being his main meal - he's still getting everything he needs from his milk. I would advise that as it's a new food to feed it to him on it's own, just so you know if he has a reaction that it's definitely the avocado (not that that's likely, it's just the advice, I think).

HTH :)
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

• Twitter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 19:01:59 pm »
Oh, also, it's best to give new foods at lunch time, not dinner, b/c they're up and you'll see if they have a reaction to it - if he has a new food at dinner, a reaction may occur when he's in bed.

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline *Kimberly*

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 19:08:38 pm »
Thanks.  I will offer it at lunch then.  I only thought about dinner because I already cut open the avacado and I know they go bad really fast.  We live a ways from a grocery store, so what I have will have to last him the 3 days (hopefully). 

Thanks for the help.  I would have asked my hubby but he is still asleep, he worked till 6am.  And I would have asked my mom but she is in Hawaii.  I have so support right this instant.

Kimberly

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 19:13:22 pm »
 :)

I *think*, although am not sure, that you can freeze mushed up avocado if you mix it with mushed up banana. Pretty sure you can do that if you're not close to the store (I have the same problem).

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 22:22:27 pm »
You can freeze mashed avacado (in ice cube trays) without mixing it with anything else, although banana/avacado is a tasty combo.  So is, apparently, lentil/avacado.  When you freeze it may brown (as it will in the fridge too) and it is still ok to eat, no need to discard the brown.  HTH

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline *Kimberly*

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 03:09:37 am »
Thanks.  I had not even thought about freezing it.  I will have to do that next time because I already mixed this with the formula.

Kimberly

P.S. He seemed to like it.  I didn't offer much but he wasn't spitting it out.   ;D

Offline mommy4life

• Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 14:07:09 pm »
OOOHHHH my ds loved avocado. I mixed it with all and any fruits he loved. MY ;)favorite was avocado and apple sause mixed together. I would use homemade baby fruit that was frozen and add the avocado to it fresh. YUMMY...oh dried apricots that were simmered and made into baby food....with avacodo very yummy too.
~Kim~
~Kennedy  July 2001
~Thomas  December 2003
*when a child is born....so is a mother*

kim@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline cwhyte

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 16:30:43 pm »
avocados will also brown less if you leave the pit in it.  i've kept the other half several days in the fridge with very little browning when the pit stays in.

Offline jules_is_cute

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 18
  • And the Ma-ma bear says...
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 04:19:37 am »
HI DD LOVES avocado!!  I just take wedges out and wrap the rest in cellophane with all the flesh covered as much as possible.  It lasts her about 4 days for one fruit.  It's her appeitizer for every meal.  I just cube it up and set it out on her tray, she gladly picks up the peices and eats them without any problems while I prep the rest of her dinner.  My LO never liked pureed foods so at about 7 months we went right to finger foods and never looked back.  So I don't know about mixing it with much.  However, I put Avocado chunks in chicken soup, she loved it...Amy's makes a great low sodium organic chicken soup that is great for babies (a bit bland for us though)!  A kind of baby chicken tortilla soup sans tortilla's.  LOL

~Patty