Author Topic: Flying with a one year old?  (Read 1682 times)

Offline FrenchWife

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
    • Eutopia Childrens Boutique
Flying with a one year old?
« on: March 31, 2010, 16:17:51 pm »
I am taking DS on a few flights next week, one of them by myself, sense dh will have to fly elsewhere for a business trip.  and i am not sure how we are going to make it, lol. he is an extremely wiggly spirited little boy and keeping him still is going to take a miracle! he are not paying for a separate seat, sense i am sure he wouldn't stay in it anyways, lol.  so any ideas how to keep him busy?  my sister suggested benadryl, lol!  and if they had it for one year olds i would seriously be tempted, haha. does anyone know of any toys or anything that i could get for the occasion? any other ideas? thanks!
-Christine

Mom to Isaac & Natalie Kate
Wife to Jonathan

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: Flying with a one year old?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 18:14:17 pm »

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
Re: Flying with a one year old?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 21:22:44 pm »
Hiya,

We've just got back from a weekend away with our spirited 16 month old.  You don't say how long your flights are, but ours were relatively short 1hr 15mins each way (we went partly in preparation for a long haul flight to America in May).

I bought Ben a new dinosaur book that roared, some linking rings, a mini Makka Pakka, and took lots of snacks and a couple of little favourite toys in his changing bag.  Now, bear in mind that this was a short flight, but actually we didn't need any of them!!

The flight was short enough that just what was going on on the plane with the stewardesses and other passengers and all the new sights and sounds were enough to keep him occupied.  He has a dummy which he had on take off and landing (helps with the pressure in their ears - something to suck helps that) - but I was actually very surprised at how calm my usually very wiggly boy was!!

I will be taking a whole arsenal of things for our 8 hour flight - but the plane will be much bigger so hopefully there will be at least a chance for a little walk up and down the plane.

Oh, he didn't have his own seat this time either and was sat on my DHs lap with an infant belt - he normally is not one for sitting on our laps for any length of time, but again the new sights, sounds and experiences kept him happy there.

How long are your flights?