Author Topic: Stuck in a lunch rut  (Read 2950 times)

Offline clazzat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 286
Stuck in a lunch rut
« on: July 28, 2010, 08:27:16 am »
We have 3 lunches: cheese scones with hidden vegetables, mini pizza or biscuits, raisins and cheese (with an Ella's Kitchen pouch for veggies).  The problem with cheese scones is that I make a batch and then they need to be eaten, so we have them several days in a row and the girls get bored of them.  The problem with biscuits, raisins and cheese is that they are bored of the biscuits and very rarely eat more than 1 or 2.

So does anyone have any suggestions for easy, quick lunches which are more along the snack lines?  We have a proper tea, so lunch is very much a snack meal.

Oh, and E won't eat sandwiches, any bread-type product (we've tried wraps, pitta bread, crumpets and muffins), ham or cheese.  We did used to try bagels (which M would eat with cream cheese) but E won't touch the cream cheese either.

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 09:03:39 am »
hmmm what about pasta? we make one big lot of pasta and just a bit of spaghetti sauce on it, freeze portions and defrost in microwave when needed.

another thing we do is pancakes with fruit in them which we can freeze and reheat when needed as well.

Im a big believer in making big batches of different things, freezing them and mixing up when i use them!

Offline rach321

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • My monkey boys.
Re: Stuck in a lunch rut
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 09:04:49 am »
Hummus with veggie dippers?
Bagels with hummus and roasted veggies?
Scrambled egg?
Crackers?
Mini pigs in blankets/toad in the hole?
Pasta salad / couscous?

Can't think of anything else at the moment!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 09:13:57 am »
I buy bagel bread chips, like bagels sliced and then sort of dried, if that makes sense? So they are like biscuits but different and at least make a change in the rotation from Ritz or other biscuits.  I also go ryvita or wasa bread, again sort of a same-same-but-different.  i spread with jam, nutella, peanut butter, or cream cheese (if M will eat it can you give it to her and let E have something else or are there problems when they don't have the same thing?)  for other spreads I will spread zaziki or yogurt on biscuits or bagel chips, ds seems to think it's quite amusing! 

slices of banana with a tiny dob of peanut butter sometimes go over well, sometimes he's a bit mad when he sees them - can't figure out why the jekyll&hyde thing though!

soup - tomato soup is a fave and biscuits broken up into it makes it easier to eat and gets the grains/carbs in.

jess (lukeys mom) has a recipe for muffins that are made with cottage cheese, sundried tomatoes and almond flour which are really "lunchey" and quite wholesome/filling - i know berni (mumofalice) also makes them so she might have the recipe as well.  something to sort of replace the scones that they are bored of?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 11:55:45 am »
Soup is a big one here too. I make a chicken noodle soup with lots of added veggies, as well as a veggie/minestrone soup. Both are very easy and healthy and yummy. I also do scrambled eggs with cheese and spinach, turkey patties (to which I've added applesauce and grated zucchini and carrot). But those aren't such snacky type lunches. What about yogurt with PB and fruit mixed in?

Also, can I get the recipe for the scones with hidden veggies? They sound good! Any chance they can be frozen and reheated also?

And Mashi - those muffins sound great - I'll have to ask Berni for the recipe!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mashi

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 11:59:13 am »
And Mashi - those muffins sound great - I'll have to ask Berni for the recipe!

It's from one of the meal planning threads, either the 1st or 2nd. I know Berni made them once or twice so she should have the recipe while Jess is on vacation and not online often. 

Offline Mashi

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 12:02:15 pm »
I also do scrambled eggs with cheese and spinach, turkey patties (to which I've added applesauce and grated zucchini and carrot). But those aren't such snacky type lunches

They can be, really if you want!  I do turkey balls with grated apple and fresh herbs mixed in, roll them like meatballs and fry them and they aren't too bad cold (well DS won't eat anything hot so even if I warm them they have to sit until they are cold ::) ) and one or two with some other things to pick at are sort of a snackey type thing (ie/ half a banana, a bit of trail mix, some yogurt and some veggies all in a little bowl)?

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 12:10:17 pm »
Just marking my spot as we're getting into a bit of a supper rut... D has a full, hot meal for lunch at daycare so we tend to do simpler suppers.

Do you have a recipe for those meatballs Mashi? Or are they really easy?
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 12:15:28 pm »
i'd like the cheese scone w/ hidden veggies recipe!

i know u said no bread products - have you tried crepes?

i cant remember how old your kids are. i'm the one that gets bored of lunches around here :P

what about chicken salad served on apples slices. oh, i make these things called apple sandwiches that are so cute. i fill them w/ peanut butter but can use whatever.  i post a picture so you can see what i'm talking about.  ok can't find a picture but you don't cute the apple up into slices. you cut it like you would a tomato when you want tomato slices (for burgers). when you cut it, the area where the seeds are should make a star pattern and it looks really cute.

i also make something called apple salad - chopped up apple w/ a bunch of stuff mixed with it. it is SO GOOD.

will they eat stuffed celery?

heather

Offline Mashi

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 12:19:23 pm »
Vikki it is an Annabel Karmel recipe and it should be in the solid food recipe section as "the famous sausage recipe" so you can look there -- but I stopped using the recipe and just wing it!

Basically you are supposed to use chicken breast and a food processor to mince it yourself but after doing that once and then having to spend half a day disinfecting every nook and cranny of my food processor three times I never did again - I am totally 100% paranoid of salmonella and anything that is within a foot of raw poultry needs to be scrubbed or I go crazy!!!  ::)  So now I just buy ground chicken or turkey and it saves SO much time!

So, put your meat in a large bowl, grate about one medium sized apple into the mixture and add some herbs - sage is nice, and that with basil, parsley are usually what I use but I suppose you could do a curry/cumin/coriander mix and change the flavour totally?  Recipe calls for breadcrumbs as well, I usually forget so if Dylan can't have them then that's ok.  Mix it all together with your hands and roll into meatballs. Recipe is to make them into finger shapes so they are more like sausages but I have no patience for this, balls are faster!!!  Roll them lightly in flour (I used cornflour before DS was onto wheat but now use regular flour) and then fry in frying pan until cooked.  

I also usually make two patties out of the mix as well and DH and I will have them as burgers for dinner.  

I freeze the meatballs in little packs of 3 and defrost and lightly warm them up and DS loves them!

Offline hemz80

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Hema - Mummy to three gorgeous babies
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 12:30:29 pm »
marking a spot!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 12:32:08 pm »
I've made the same as Mashi but I often add in veg too. So if you are doing ground chicken or turkey and apple, grated zucchini also goes well. Or my friend makes them with ground pork and apple and also adds grated carrot.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 12:37:34 pm »
turkey balls sound yummy!

I make something similar, another Annabel Karmel one, with cheese, grated courgette, onion, garlic and breadcrumbs and egg....Oscar calls them veggie nuggets!

S x

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 12:41:40 pm »
Wow - thanks for all the suggestions.  I'm sure there will be something in there that I can try.  Unfortunately they won't touch salad or soup or dip anything (I didn't think they were that fussy, but now that I write out all the things they won't eat they really are!), but I will definitely try some of the other things.

Cheese scone recipe:
100g (4oz) self-raising flour
50g (2oz) plain or wholemeal flour
0.5 tsp baking powder
0.5 tsp mustard powder
0.5 tsp salt (optional)
25g (1oz) butter
100g (4oz) cheese grated (I used goats cheese because E can't have dairy - I think M likes them better than cheddar ones too)
1 egg
2-3 tbsp milk

Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas mark 6
Mix the flours, baking powder, mustard and salt in a large bowl.  Rub in the butter with your fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.  Add the cheese and mix.  (I do all of this in the food processor and they turn out fine - and it's much quicker!).  At this point I add the veg: tomato puree, spinach, peas, sweetcorn, mixed veg - basically whatever you like.  I cook it and puree it then add it to the mixture.  Once it's all mixed up, I add more flour until it is back to a sensible dough consistency - it requires quite a lot of flour to dry it out a bit.  Then mix the egg with a little milk and add it gradually to make the dough the right consistency - because I put the veggies in, I never use more than half the egg and sometimes less.  If the dough is too sticky you won't be able to roll it.

Flour the work surface and roll out the dough - however thick you want.  I tend to go for fairly thin to make lots of scones, then we cut them out together - we have about a million cookie cutter shapes so the girls get to choose what shaped scones they get.  Put them onto a greased tray and cook for about 10 mins - you have to decide when they look done.

If you want to make them look fancy, you can brush the tops with milk and put a little grated cheese on each one, but that's far too much faff for me!

Offline bubbabear1

• Bubbabear1
  • Showing Appreciation 18
  • Caitlin Rose
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 12:50:39 pm »
Marking my spot !  Will get the recipe later - sounds yummy!!

Thanks everyone,

Siobhan
xx