Author Topic: Waking 5 to 10 times a night, about to let him cry, 4.5 months  (Read 2926 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Waking 5 to 10 times a night, about to let him cry, 4.5 months
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 03:47:56 am »
Hugs. Looks like your making progress.
40 min naps ARE common, and having lot soothe back to sleep at this age is something I had to do with both my boys. Some are better at transitioning than others. A lot of LOs naps extend themselves between 6-8 months but having an appropriate routine etc will help them learn.

If you can extend like your am nap that is great! If not, and he's fighting you ie second nap I'd try for 15 mins or so then just get him up. Reduce the next A time and offer more naps. I would aim for two long naps at this age, and a shorter 45 min or so nap. Like Katt says EBT works well on 'off' days. (we had many)

If extending is stressing you and him out just get him up when he wakes if he won't resettle. I found this really good for days of short naps to prevent OT http://www.babysleepsite.com/schedules/4-month-old-schedule/

My first responded well to me 'helping' him through the transition. Ie sneaking in 5 mins before and using pressure and patting to help him stay asleep. My second not so much ::) you just need to find what works for you both. Some mums APOP the rest of the nap. I'm guilty of rocking mine back to sleep many times!

As far as your A times go, it looks like 2hrs-2hrs15 is your good time to pd for a nap. That angry one looks like OT. If you can resettle quickly the A time is likely right/close to being right.

How are you resettling at night now? Your using PU/pd or shh/pat or a combo? Or something different? PD can be OS so if you can help him settle in the cot, or using your voice and touch without PU too much he may respond quicker.

Any history or colic or reflux? -PU/pd an aggravate this.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Clewis86

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 14:32:31 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. I am afraid that I am just frustrated again. What works one day does not work the next, but that is just the nature of babies (as I have discovered).

I don't do PUPD much anymore. I only pick him up if he is crying really hard. Mostly I hold his hands or turn him on his side and pat his back. Sometimes when I do this he arches his back and cries harder, sometimes he settles down right away.

He had a little colic somewhere around 4 to 6 weeks, but nothing recently.

He will be 5 months this week. I am considering starting solids because it seems like he is ready. He watches me eat, sits up (with a little help), he puts everything in his month. It just really seems like he his ready. I have heard many say that after starting solids, their baby started to sleep better, yet others had the opposite experience. I confess that I am hoping that this will help him sleep. Has anyone had this experience?

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 08:01:53 am »
Personally solids messed up my boys ::) but they are refluxers. Solids can help sometimes, but often mums here fine it can cause discomfort NW.
To minimise risk of sore tum at night offer fruit or veg (ie pumpkin or pear) and only a small amount in the morning, not later in the day x
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.