Author Topic: Cluster Feeding  (Read 3656 times)

Offline melbrad

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 17, 2006, 17:35:44 pm »
My child's schedule is 9 weeks old with this schedule (changes somewhat from day to day)

5-6AM-wake
630-feed
730-800-try for nap
930-feed
1100-try for nap
100-feed
230-300-try for nap
400-feed
700-bath
730-feed
800-bed

She is currently sleeping 4-5 hrs. the first strecth.  I'll feed her at 1200-1230 AM and put her back down.  She will sleep until 5-6AM. 

How can I extend her nightime hrs to sleep more in the night.  When would I cluster feed and dreamfeed? How do I dreamfeed?

Many Thanks! :-*

Offline chell

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 94
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 17:58:37 pm »
Are you breast or bottle feeding?
An obedient soldier fights a fools war

[img=http://www.images/t4.gif=http://www.images/t4.gif]http://www.babywhis

Offline melbrad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 18:18:00 pm »
I am breastfeeding.  I usually will give her 4 oz. of breastmilk in a bottle at her bedtime feed

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
Re: Cluster Feeding
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 14:19:53 pm »
You would likely implement your df around 10-11:30.  You try to feed your little one while they are still sleeping.  Slowly lift your lo out of their crib and nurse.  Try to encourage a large feed. 

YOur lo is doing quite well at night for 9 weeks old... so congrats.

To cluster feed you would squish some of your evening feeds togehter, so your routine could look something like this....

5-6AM-wake
630-feed
730-800-try for nap
930-feed
1100-try for nap
100-feed
230-300-try for nap
3:30-feed
6-feed
700-bath
7:30 feed
800-bed

But that is just to give you an idea of how you could do it.  Do what works best with your lo.

Hope this helps.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline melbrad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 14:35:33 pm »
Thank You! Last night I did a dream feed at 10:00 and my previous feed was at 8:00.  She took 3 oz. I did not burp her because I thought it might wake her, but I don't want her to have gas problems-What should I do?  I'm  pretty sure she could have taken more.  After the dream feed she woke at 12:30.  I put the paci in her mouth and she sucked on it for a few minutes and went back to sleep.  She also had some gas.  I was wondering if she woke b/c prior to adding the dream feed, I would feed her at 8 and she would wake at 1230 and I didn't know if it was her internal clock reminding her to wake or if it was just gas.  After that she stayed asleep until 4:00 am.  Again I put the paci in her mouth and we struggled a little more in getting her to sleep.  She slept from 4:30-5:15 and I kept her awake to feed.  We started this am at 5:45.  Overall, I think it went okay for the first time, I just hope the 12:30 wakening ceases.  What are you thoughts?  Many Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Offline daisymelan

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 15:25:03 pm »
If you are concerned about burping, my suggestion would be just to hold your little one in the upright position and rub her back.  Something to keep her asleep, but also to work out the gas. 

The 12:30 could be habitual waking, especially since you did the df last night and she woke up at the same time.  I would keep handling it the way you have been doing it. 

Perhaps offer more at the df if you feel she can take more.

Also, she may not be ready to go all night without one other feed plus the df.  Are you sure she's ready to go through?

HTH

Offline melbrad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 16:18:11 pm »
I'm not sure.  She didn't seem hungry at 4:00 when she woke.  Usually when she is hungry she will not take the paci.  The DF plus my other feedings is 7/day. This is how many I got in before I started to DF.  What if I moved my DF up to 11:00? 

If she woke at 4:00 and I fed her, wouldn't that mess my schedule?  I guess I was just trying to stay on track.  If she wakens again at 4:00 tonight, I'll give her the breast and see how long she nurses.  I guess that will tell me.  If she does feed well, am I correct in asuming that I will need to readjust my schedule?  What are your thoughts?

Lastly, should I pump after my Dream-feed to enusre my milk supply doesn't decrease?

Offline daisymelan

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 17:33:09 pm »
If she isn't hungry then I wouldn't feed her.  If you think she may be, I would feed her adn see waht happens.  It's all trial and error and not everything will work on every baby.  So if you decide to feed her tonight, you will see how she adjusts.  Just nurse her at the normal time that she gets up like always.  Don't move your day around her night feeds.  I wouldn't anyway and just see what happens. 

You could try and adjust the df, that may work even better.  Try that and see what happens.

I wouldn't pump after your df, why would you think your supply would go down.

Sounds like you are doing wonderfully!

Offline melbrad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 17:36:42 pm »
I was very engorged by the 5AM feeding.  Maybe it was b/c I gave her a bottle instead of pumping at the df.  I did this b/c one I know how much she is getting and two, when I start to wean it may be easier than if BF. 

Offline daisymelan

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 18:12:29 pm »
I'm sorry, I forgot that you don't bf for your df.  Pump if you like.  If you don't pumpyour body will adjust to not produce milk for that feed.

Offline melbrad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006, 20:46:04 pm »
Thank You!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Offline melbrad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 15:33:50 pm »
Last night my last feeding was at 8 and I did a DF at 10:30.  She did not wake up at 12:30 like she did the night before when I introduced the DF.  She still however woke at 3:30AM.  I tried to nurse her.  She nursed slowly on one side for 10 minutes and I tried to burp her but she was going to sleep.  I decided to try and get her back down.  I finally did at 4 and she slept till 7.  Should I still continue to feed at 3:30 or offer paci.  Up until that time she has had 7 feeds (including DF).  She is 10 weeks old.  Many Thanks!

Offline daisymelan

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 17:27:29 pm »
Hi there,

Your lo is still quite young, so one night feed after the df is quite common.  I would feed at 4am or whenever your lo wakes.  Then feed again when she wakes for her day.  I'm certain many mamas would be jealous that you only do one night feed.  It seems implementing the df has helped with the 12:30 waking which is wonderful.  8 feeds a day is perfectly fine.

I would suggest that after the next growth spurt, if you feel that your lo is ready, you could start to tackle the one night feed that you have. 

Thank you for sharing your success.  That is wonderful.  Let us know how you make out over the next few days.

Offline melbrad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 04:42:46 am »
Thanks!  One more ?  Should I try and give her a nap after her 330 feed since her next feeding is only 2 hrs away at 530?  I didn't do it today and by the time we went to bed she was quite cranky.  She had 3 naps of about 1 1/2 hrs each (that's usually what we average).  I'm thinking I should.  I'll let you know how things went tonight-about to dream feed-Good night. ::)

Offline daisymelan

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 10:49:56 am »
If you need to squeeze in a tiny cat nap to get through the rest of the night, go for it.  Don't let her sleep too long though because you don't want your evening pushed all around.  Sounds like thigns are going well and you're learning to read cues!  Great.