Author Topic: outside play in bad weather  (Read 6493 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
outside play in bad weather
« on: October 04, 2012, 17:56:37 pm »
It's so cold, the rain never seems to stop and it's only autumn.  The weather is just going to get worse, so, what do you do about outside play in bad weather?
I don't really like going out in the wind and rain but somehow I think I'm going to have to get used to it as we can't stay in doors for months on end.  We go to toddler groups, indoor play, but it's not the same as climbing, running and sliding.
Do you still take your toddler to the play park to go on the swings and slides?  What do you dress them in?

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 18:04:39 pm »
Yes ,we are out every day, and when DS was young it was the same!  In rainy cold autumn weather he had a rain suit and rain boots.  Dressed him appropriately underneath so on a warm rainy day it might have been a long sleeved to and the rain pants only (overalls) or a t-shirt inside the jacket, but on cold days it was warm sweaters and track pants underneath.  I despise the cold and rain and found the only way to deal with it was to have my own rain suit as well, warm hat, rain boots and get on with it....it made it much more bearable when I had my own rain gear!

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
Re: outside play in bad weather
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 18:28:50 pm »
i hate eeky weather but am gearing up for it because DS2 is an outdoorsy kind a guy, DS1 is more indoorsy....good gear is key!
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 18:38:16 pm »
we go out whatever although I must admit I find it harder now I have M too as she is not too steady on her feet! I just bought H overalls so he wears them. I am a big advocate of fresh air whatever the weather and H is SUCH an outdoor boy.

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 18:41:57 pm »
creations,how do you post a link to a site?my sister got an all in one waterproof jumpsuit that her LO loves!he can go out in any weather!he loves it!i was just looking at one online here,deciding which size to get!coincidence!xxx

Offline rach321

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • My monkey boys.
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 18:42:10 pm »
All in one waterproof and wellies and off to the park we go - for the sake of everyone's sanity!!

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 18:44:08 pm »
http://sunshinebabyhampers.ie/Clothing/Waterproofs

did that work?!

oh yay!!!!i think it did!xxx
this is the one she got-she's v pleased with it.her LO is 19mo now & quite happy in it!if only they did adult sizes!x

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 19:05:00 pm »
Thanks ladies, and thanks for the link Happy :)

This might sound a bit strange but I've just never done it before.  For playing on equipment like slides and climbing frames, do you still let them do it when it's wet, is it safe?  I mean ok obviously it's more slippery but if they are ok on it when it's dry can they handle it when wet?
And what about hands, do you leave them bare so they can grip well or put gloves on??
I sound so dim but I suppose it's just one of those things I've never been in this situation before.

I think I might need to get a rain suit for myself.  I've got a ski suit I wonder if that would be ok to save on ££s

Brrr...I really don't look forward to this.  I need to change my mind set about it because I want to enjoy playing with DS out in the wind/cold/rain, I just hate bad weather! (although I'm the first out there if it snows, huge snow men lined the length of the town a couple of years back when DP and I got the snow bug)

Offline rach321

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • My monkey boys.
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 20:15:08 pm »
I see how slippery it is on the day - generally they are fine and just need reminding to take it slowly since its slippery. We don't bother with gloves unless its snowing since neither of mine are keen!

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 20:45:32 pm »
We are just working on this really - my 2 tend towards being 'fair weather' kids - but now the energy levels are rising we have to get better at it all.

We have tried sending them out to play with umbrellas to get them used to it a bit! Just for fun - not rain protection  :P.

Last year I got them both ski suits, and they used the coats all the time. REALLY helped the cold days - having a proper coat on you aren't even cold - before I assumed I ought to buy a coat from a clothes shop when really it should be technical outdoor wear.

We have winter snow boots as well as wellies. I get stuff from a discount outdoor warehouse.

Oh, and thermals underneath instead of clothes. SO much warmer and so much easier to run and play!

Think ski layers - you wouldn't stick jeans under ski pants iyswim?

M&S do great thermal sets. They are also a fab solution to what to wear to bed on cold winter nights  ;).

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 20:49:07 pm »
I take a window squeegee and a little handtowel to the playground, quick squeegee off of a slide or swing seat and we're golden. I take gloves off if requested, but try and remember to have an extra/dry pair in my bag for on the way home.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 21:24:44 pm by anna* »

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 20:55:33 pm »
as an aside I am beginning to rethink my desire to live in the UK......
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 20:56:20 pm »
yah, it does rain. But we are so charming!! ;)

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 21:08:20 pm »
Thanks Liz.  That's really helpful about the clothes.
I just got him some snow boots last week.  They look really snug and he was happy running around the shop in them but when the assistant suggested we should get wellies instead we tried to put some on him and he cried, he really wasn’t having it and made his feelings very clear.  So we have good boots although he can't wade in them (which tbh I don't think he will be doing anyway) and we've sprayed them with extra water proofing spray.  He proved yesterday that he can climb the slide ladder wearing them so I think we got a winner there.
I saw an all in one ski suit when we were getting him a new coat last week too.  I was in two minds about buying it but I think I'll go get it.  The coat I already bought will still be needed for short walks to the car, shopping, toddler group etc and the ski suit can be used for bad weather play park trips.

I think I'll be getting my ski suit out too - hope it still fits!

Like the squeegee idea for the slide anna.  Over summer I had a small towel in the car for drying off slides after the rain but we basically didn't go to the park unless it was a dry day (and too few of those!)

Living in the UK is fine - but COLD!  I have never re-acclimatised since moving back.  Where I live people go out in t-shirts all summer regardless that it is blowing a GALE and freezing cold.

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 21:50:39 pm »
yah, it does rain. But we are so charming!!

that I totally agree, if only wishes would come true, i so love London..........and my UK life...
9 and 6, oh boy!