Author Topic: Help please. 18month old screams at bedtime.  (Read 865 times)

Offline Mrshoughton

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help please. 18month old screams at bedtime.
« on: April 10, 2014, 07:56:32 am »
Things were going really well up until a few weeks ago..
We did WI/WO which worked great- on most days i would put her down and walk straight out (no tears) and on the worst of days it would e maybe 5 times. our day used to look like this:
Wu-6.15
Nap- 12-1
Bt- 6.15
She's been ill for a couple of weeks- colds, cough, sick bug. And the clocks changed.. We went to my mums and everything just went wrong- she screamed at BT and nothing I could do would console her (walked in/out about 150 times!!Gave her another bottle milk, sat in with her) eventually I just got into my bed with her and she went to sleep) Next night I tried again- went to compose myself after about an hour of screaming and when I got back she had climbed out of the trav cot and over the stair gate!! Decided it must be that she hated the travel cot, but it has been the same at home. She is on the verge of being able to climb out of her cot at home too, but I don't want to move her to BGB when she's so hysterical at night- although maybe it could help?? Am also giving calpol at bedtime.
Her day varies now but -
nap for an hour in the car otherwise she won't have one somewhere between 11 and 2. last night she went to sleep about 7.15(after an hour of screaming and me lying on floor next to her cot) woke at 9-took an hour to get her back to sleep. Then she woke up at 4.45 screaming and would not lie back down. I wouldn't mind her coming into my bed, but she never sleeps well in there and I always regret it. I also don't want to cause new problems..
 Sorry for the essay.
Any ideas?? I'm 10 weeks pregnant and exhausted! I feel I have lost all control of the situation :(

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
Re: Help please. 18month old screams at bedtime.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 06:50:21 am »
My thoughts would be discomfort of some sort - but if you are giving calpol at BT then that should help....do you think she might be teething? If so I found nurofen to hep more with teeth.

There is a very common 18 month regression which could be playing a part too.

I personally would not move her to a BGB at 18 months but of course if she climbs out then that might be a necessity.

If it is a regression the usual advice is to stick to as consistent a routine as you can and when we went through nap regressions with DS I used to AP a car nap from time to time to prevent OT.

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Help please. 18month old screams at bedtime.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 12:45:24 pm »
When we went through the 18 mo regression with L we ended up sitting next to her at BT until she nodded off.  She was also showing lots of SA during the day.  Once she was past the regression and SA we used GW pretty quickly (less than a week) to get her back on track and sleeping independently again.  If things are really bad and your dd is getting super upset, don't be afraid to stay with her.  You can always get back on track again in a bit.  ((Hugs)) 18 mos can be really tricky sleep wise.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old